San Jose Business Journal

Apple passes Blackberry maker RIM in global sales
    Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
    Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 9:01am PDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 29, 2010, 9:19am PDT

Apple Inc.'s iPhone reportedly passed Blackberry maker Research in Motion Ltd. in the third quarter as the No. 4 mobile phone vendor in the world.
    Market reports from International Data Corp. and Strategy Analytics show Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) , RIM and Samsung Electronics Co. all gaining market share as No. 1 global mobile phone vendor Nokia Oyj and LG Electronics lost share.
    Apple's gain is attributed to the entry of the iPhone into new markets and Strategy Analytics said that it could see a big boost if Verizon Wireless finally starts selling the popular devices in the U.S., as has long been rumored.
    IDC reported that global shipments of mobile phones rose 14.6 million to 340.5 million units, while Strategy Analytics showed a lower total sales number of 327 million units.
    IDC showed Nokia with 32.4 percent of the market, down from 36.5 percent. It showed Samsung with 21 percent, up from 20.3 percent; LG with 8.3 percent, down from 10.6 percent; Apple with 4.1 percent, up from 2.5 percent, and RIM with 3.6 percent, up from 2.9 percent.
    10-29-10 09:03 AM
    Its an indication that Apple is doing well. But I am confused as to what "plot" is thickening? I think this is something that was to be anticipated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 09:29 AM
    IMHO Apple vs RIM is like comparing apples to oranges. These are not the same beasts. Apple = toy phone, RIM = smart guy/gal phone....
    10-29-10 09:35 AM
    San Jose Business Journal

Apple passes Blackberry maker RIM in global sales
    Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
    Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 9:01am PDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 29, 2010, 9:19am PDT

Apple Inc.'s iPhone reportedly passed Blackberry maker Research in Motion Ltd. in the third quarter as the No. 4 mobile phone vendor in the world.
    Market reports from International Data Corp. and Strategy Analytics show Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) , RIM and Samsung Electronics Co. all gaining market share as No. 1 global mobile phone vendor Nokia Oyj and LG Electronics lost share.
    Apple's gain is attributed to the entry of the iPhone into new markets and Strategy Analytics said that it could see a big boost if Verizon Wireless finally starts selling the popular devices in the U.S., as has long been rumored.
    IDC reported that global shipments of mobile phones rose 14.6 million to 340.5 million units, while Strategy Analytics showed a lower total sales number of 327 million units.
    IDC showed Nokia with 32.4 percent of the market, down from 36.5 percent. It showed Samsung with 21 percent, up from 20.3 percent; LG with 8.3 percent, down from 10.6 percent; Apple with 4.1 percent, up from 2.5 percent, and RIM with 3.6 percent, up from 2.9 percent.
    Apple will definetly have big boost if it finally shows up on Big Red. Then that means its exclusivity with ATT is over which could make T-mobile also a potential carrier for I phone. I hope BB will come up with the QNX storm before Verizon iphone
    10-29-10 09:59 AM
    There is not plot. These numbers are estimated, but there will be conflicting reports out over the next few weeks.
    10-29-10 09:59 AM
    IMHO Apple vs RIM is like comparing apples to oranges. These are not the same beasts. Apple = toy phone, RIM = smart guy/gal phone....
    Please, let's not get into that again. People who state this show their real intelligence. I can count several things that the iPhone can do better then current RIM devices and that doesn't even include games, so calling it a toy is just not correct. In fact, compared to Android and Blackberry, the iPhone has the better Enterprise email integration out of the box (i.e. no additional licensing or hardware costs). Then would come Android, then would come Blackberry (due to BIS limitations and BES costs respectively). So, as I said, let's not get into the whole "it's a toy" bs lines. I don't have a problem with people putting things down, but you better know your stuff about it and provide valid reasoning for it.
    10-29-10 10:02 AM
    Both Apple & R.I.M posted record numbers this quarter, so I don't get the "plot thickens* part either.....*Kanye shrug*
    10-29-10 10:21 AM
    ^^^^people still make comments like this....smh.....
    10-29-10 10:23 AM
    Get over yourself.

Anyway it's funny that Jim keeps bringing up this "distortion field" apple brings about yet the only person who seems to really be living in a delusional bubble is him. The faster that gets solved the faster RIM can realize that good isn't good enough, and the faster they can bounce back and be everything we all here want them to be.
    10-29-10 10:26 AM
    ^^^^people still make comments like this....smh.....
    It's deserved as long as iphone is hackable in about 2 seconds.
    10-29-10 10:28 AM
    As others have said already, this statement is pure genius.
    10-29-10 10:30 AM
    I thought that was one specific vulnerability on jailbroken phones where the user didn't change the default password on one specific app, or am I mistaken? If you don't set a password on a BB it isn't very secure either.
    10-29-10 10:34 AM
    well.. I have to agree in a way with deflep.... iPhone is seen as a gadget.. a fun toy.. a gaming device... a music player... etc. Its just the way its VIEWED. Now this doesnt mean the iPhone cant or doesnt fit into the business world. It does, and does well. Its the way its portrayed... look at the commercials even...

I heard someone say this (may have been a comedian...but its true!)
    You see a guy, in rumpled clothes, hair a mess, etc , sitting on a park bench, using an iPhone.. you will think, "go get a job ya bum"...
    Now swap that phone for a blackberry...
    the statement turns into "Look how hard that guy is working.. he needs a vacation!"

Its just the way it is.. blackberry is viewed as a business phone, and iPhone is a techy gadget.

Now, that outta the way, when VZ gets the iPhone (which MobileCrunch said the other day that there are reports of the CDMA iPhone shipping in early 2011) - the market will change FAST. RIM needs a cool gadgety new phone ASAP.
    10-29-10 10:35 AM
    Websearch: iphone passcode lock bypass vulnerability again
    10-29-10 10:43 AM
    ^^^^Yet, corporate America is switching to the iphone...
    10-29-10 10:44 AM
    ^^^who cares, my recent calls can be viewed...lol...once the call end you get booted back out...
    10-29-10 10:46 AM
    ahhh - lol - i thought they fixed that, didnt know it was back again.

There was also some SMS code that could trigger a hack allowing remote use of the phone.
    10-29-10 10:46 AM
    ^^^google battery pulls, spasm clicking on the storm screen, slow browser, horrible html email, horrible copy&past, truncated emails, etc...etc...I can do this all day.....Every platform has issues.... The iphone is far from a toy
    10-29-10 10:50 AM
    Now, that outta the way, when VZ gets the iPhone (which MobileCrunch said the other day that there are reports of the CDMA iPhone shipping in early 2011) - the market will change FAST. RIM needs a cool gadgety new phone ASAP.
    Whether the iPhone is or isn't viewed like that is irrelevant in the end because numbers don't lie. Consumers are eating it up, and the corporate world is beginning to adopt it. And the iphone as a "cool gadgety phone" is actually an extremely high quality device with an excellent operating system and good enterprise implementation. If that's what you're saying RIM needs, they have a long road ahead of them.
    10-29-10 10:50 AM
    Correction some companies have said yes on a trial basis. Some are evaluating and some have flat out said no.

10-29-10 11:09 AM
    I personally don't care how many people buy iPhones, but that's just me.

10-29-10 01:38 PM
    ^^^google battery pulls, spasm clicking on the storm screen, slow browser, horrible html email, horrible copy&past, truncated emails, etc...etc...I can do this all day.....Every platform has issues.... The iphone is far from a toy
    I'd rather deal with battery pulls, which I don't than someone being able to get into my phone in 3 seconds. That is not an issue, it's a gaping wide hole.
    10-29-10 02:37 PM
    Whether the iPhone is or isn't viewed like that is irrelevant in the end because numbers don't lie. Consumers are eating it up, and the corporate world is beginning to adopt it. And the iphone as a "cool gadgety phone" is actually an extremely high quality device with an excellent operating system and good enterprise implementation. If that's what you're saying RIM needs, they have a long road ahead of them.
    I actually think we have a definitional issue of the what defines "good enterprise implementation". But then again some people willl think MacDonalds sells gourmet burgers.
    10-29-10 02:39 PM
    I'd rather deal with battery pulls, which I don't than someone being able to get into my phone in 3 seconds. That is not an issue, it's a gaping wide hole.
    ^^^^not really...what's the likely hood of someone getting a hold to my device? besides that little hiccup only displays recent call info, nothing more...Like i said it's no biggie.....
    10-29-10 03:43 PM
    Certain segments are switching, I'm sure. But corporate America as a whole is not. There are segments which must have the features found in BES and simply cannot have a device that can be so easily jailbroken/rooted.

10-29-10 03:47 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD