I am desperately trying to fix Whatsapp on my BlackBerry Bold 9700 as it is my only means of contacting a particular person with poor network coverage at the minute.

It was working fine last night. But was having problems this morning, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it again. However, when I come to enter my phone number in order to be sent an SMS, after 'Waiting for network' appears for a few minutes I get this message:

"Unexpected error:
    java.io.interruptedIOException: Local connection timed out after 30000"

and then nothing else happens, just stuck on screen with 'waiting for network'.
    Get this message every time!

What one earth does this message mean?
    How do I resolve this problem?

I am not the most technology literate person, so I don't have a clue what the message even means. VERY frustrating.

I've since been reading posts about BIS being down in the UK today, could this be in any way related? I have no idea and am desperate for any help!!

Laura
    10-10-11 08:35 AM
    Hi Laura

Just so you know you are not alone, I am having exactly the same problem. I have done everything, including removing WhatsApp completely and reinstalling, but the error persists.

If you manage to find a solution, please let me know and vice versa.

Ian
    10-10-11 08:54 AM
    Yes this is due to the BIS outage worldwide. It may be fixed soon we all are having problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 08:56 AM
    Good to know I'm not the only one.

So just to confirm, the error message I am receiving:

"Unexpected error:
    java.io.interruptedIOException: Local connection timed out after 30000"

is directly related to this worldwide problem?

So whenever this problem is resolved, I should be able to reinstall WhatsApp?
    I wasn't sure if it was merely a coincidence that I have been unable to reinstall the app on a day when a worldwide BIS outage occurs.

Just wanted to clarify that it is not due to something else within my control. If the matter is out of my control, I hope that I will be able to reinstall the app successfully once the problem is resolved...
    10-10-11 09:34 AM
    Yes it is directly related. Looks as if it is an RIM server issue because not all carriers are having this problem. The local connection is talking about your carrier which is talking about BIS servers at BB. Whatsapp is online. Don't worry once fixed it will run again. Let's hope problems fix soon!

lfmarley likes this.
    10-10-11 09:44 AM
    Yes, let's hope so indeed.

When I first noticed my contacts' 'last seen/online' info was not available on the app this morning, I sensed there was a problem and checked Whatsapp status to reveal nothing. Unfortunately I didn't anticipate a Blackberry related problem and so rather hastily uninstalled the app. On reinstalling I encountered the above problem, so have uninstalled again.

Whatsapp is still in My World in the Uninstalled list of apps with the option to reinstall. Do I simply attempt to reinstall from here (when it becomes clear that the issues have been resolved)?

I first realised I may have been dealing with a larger issue when I realised my Internet Browser was not working at all (and still is not working now), and then began to regret hastily making the decision to uninstall the app, for fear that I might not be able to set it all up again!

Thank you for you persistence, I realise I have a lot of questions about the issue!

Laura
    10-10-11 10:01 AM
    same thing happening to me now with blackberry curve 8520. was working fine till this morning n went down all of a sudden, bbm not working either. tried reinstalling n rebooting n nothing working, can anyone shed any light?
    10-10-11 10:48 AM
    So you too have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp?

What happens when you attempt to run it after reinstalling? Are you getting the same message as me on entering you phone number?
    10-10-11 10:55 AM
    Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. Is it still not working for you guys?
    10-10-11 11:53 AM
    Do you get the exact same message on entering you phone number?

""Unexpected error:
    java.io.interruptedIOException: Local connection timed out after 30000""
    10-10-11 12:03 PM
    Yep! Annoying as ****. Was fine this morning and then seemed to mess up, so I uninstalled and re-installed and now this. Been like this for hours.
    10-10-11 12:14 PM
    I finally gave up on WhatsApp and downloaded Kik which is another cross-platform messenger and much better than WhatsApp IMHO
    10-10-11 12:19 PM
    I think it's because of the outage, wait until tomorrow before reinstalling stuff.
    10-10-11 12:21 PM
    I have the same problem, and I'm in the area where BIS are having problems right now. You'll just have to wait until servers are back up. I thought WhatsApp would work over wifi, but it obviously isn't.
    10-10-11 01:09 PM
    So is everyone having the same problem with trying to enter phone numbers to receive the activation text?
    And is this a problem that's just started happening today?
    I am hoping the only reason this error message is occurring is because of the widespread issues Blackberry have been having today, and nothing else!!

Has anyone tried to reinstall again???
    10-10-11 05:16 PM
    How is it possible to become so hysterical? WhatsApp is up and running again today, and everything is fine. Just as foreseen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-11-11 12:34 AM
    I have deleted it and tried to reinstall. I had the same message as you yesterday but in the evening (GMT time) it was working again, the phone number got recognised and I even sent/received messages. Unfortunately today it's not working anymore
    I believe they are trying to fix it. More info on the BBC website - Technology tab.

I may also suggest you al to download an app named PingChat! It's not as good as whatsapp but it's still working.
    10-11-11 10:56 AM
    I have deleted it and tried to reinstall. I had the same message as you yesterday but in the evening (GMT time) it was working again, the phone number got recognised and I even sent/received messages. Unfortunately today it's not working anymore
    I believe they are trying to fix it. More info on the BBC website - Technology tab.

I may also suggest you al to download an app named PingChat! It's not as good as whatsapp but it's still working.
    I haven't yet attempted to reinstall WhatsApp again as I assume I will get the same message for as long as this problem persists. Was about to try and reinstall it again today but then discovered my Blackberry was once again having problems. I have had the same issues all day again today (no browser, nothing, not even over wi-fi??). I am thinking it is probably best to wait until these issues have been resolved entirely before attempting to reinstall again. However it is reassuring to know that you got this same message and it has since reinstalled successfully for you. I am regretting deleting it in the first place now but hoping that it will successfully reinstall for me also...soon!!
    10-11-11 04:52 PM
    I am having entirely the same problems with whatsapp. I NEED it to be working. I rebooted, deleted and tried to reinstall, but couldn't get past the phone number stage. Is it definitely a BlackBerry problem? If so, will it be resolved? My email and BBM are struggling to work to, but eventually come through.
    10-12-11 04:29 AM
    I am having entirely the same problems with whatsapp. I NEED it to be working. I rebooted, deleted and tried to reinstall, but couldn't get past the phone number stage. Is it definitely a BlackBerry problem? If so, will it be resolved? My email and BBM are struggling to work to, but eventually come through.
    it's an outage affecting half the world right now. BIS will be restored once RIM fixes the switch error.

10-12-11 04:47 AM
    Wow. I hope it gets fixed soon. In the meantime, there is nothing I can do?
    10-12-11 05:13 AM
    Hello to all i have the same problem with application .. Someone could find solution?

Thanks
    11-06-11 11:30 PM
    Hi guys,

i am facing teh smae problem for a week now. i have bb 8250....is teh problems solved what shud i do to get whatsapp running again..

vaani
    01-05-12 04:59 AM
    Well you can try fixing the problem with a look into the manual of BlackBerry
    01-05-12 05:29 AM
    Just curious.. Has anyone bothered to attempt to file a bug report with WhatsApp? If they are unaware of the issue, it makes it hard to correct if it indeed is on their side. It's always plausible that RIM changed something that they are unaware of.
    01-05-12 05:38 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD