Morning everyone - hoping you can help with this one...

I have an 8330 and this has been a long-standing issue since I first got the phone. I've talked with VZW tech support several times and never gotten a good answer. The call was even escalated awhile back and they called me to report that the issue had been fixed but it hasn't been

I work on a large campus. My desk is about 50 yards from a main door. Walking from the door to my desk my signal goes from 1XEV to 1X but I ALWAYS have 5 bars. I was told by a VZW rep that a 1X signal is still a good signal but that it might not be as quick as 1XEV as far as data goes and that's fine. The problem is that while I'm at my desk with a 1X signal I can access the web and do pretty much everything on the BB, BUT I do not get email pushed..... Is that normal?

The weird part is that when I walk back into a 1XEV signal sometimes I get the messages I received while sitting at my desk and sometimes I don't. I've tried the *228 send with no changes. I have tried registering my host table with no changes. I have also tried re-sending service books....sometimes that pushes email thru right away but maybe only 2 out of 10 times. Besides, I shouldn't have to be resending service books every day or several times a day just to get my push email.

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.
    10-05-09 11:02 AM
    I have a friend here at work with the Tour. He has 1X and 5 bars (same as me) and gets pushed email on his gmail and blackberry email accounts as well as his work account. (I currently have my work account disabled from push). If it works for him it should work for me, right?
    10-05-09 11:09 AM
    Yeah, as long as you get reception it should work...
    I wish I had some good advice, but...

Have you tried a battery pull and resending the service books?
    10-05-09 11:38 AM
    I believe you need 1XEV, or 1xev coverage. This is the RIM data connection.
    1X or 1x only gets phone and text messaging (wireless provider connection).
    10-05-09 11:49 AM
    Yeah, as long as you get reception it should work...
    I wish I had some good advice, but...

Have you tried a battery pull and resending the service books?
    So it's determined more by the bars and not the actual signal? Is that correct?
    10-05-09 11:50 AM
    I believe you need 1XEV, or 1xev coverage. This is the RIM data connection.
    1X or 1x only gets phone and text messaging (wireless provider connection).

But I can access the web with no problems
    10-05-09 11:50 AM
    So it's determined more by the bars and not the actual signal? Is that correct?
    Correct! As long as you have 2 bars you should be fine, no matter what the actual speed you're running at (1X, 1XEV).

When it says 1X, does it say "1X" with a capital X, or "1x" with a small x?
    As amojeba said, if it's lower-case letters, it means you've lost your connection to the BIS network, and no PUSH for you.
    That would be a network problem, and something VZW would need to deal with.
    10-05-09 12:29 PM
    Edited by poster
    Last edited by Shanehughes; 10-05-09 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Retraction
    10-05-09 12:41 PM
    I work the Technical Support Desk for at&t, run about the same as VZW. This is not the kind of thing that you are likely to ever get resolved in all honesty. You carrier is just not concerned with one persons small coverage indoors, which is also not guaranteed by your contract. I would give this fight up unless you can rally all your co-workers to call in and complain about the same issue regardless of whether it is true or not.

Sorry mate
    10-05-09 12:49 PM
    Correct! As long as you have 2 bars you should be fine, no matter what the actual speed you're running at (1X, 1XEV).

When it says 1X, does it say "1X" with a capital X, or "1x" with a small x?
    As amojeba said, if it's lower-case letters, it means you've lost your connection to the BIS network, and no PUSH for you.
    That would be a network problem, and something VZW would need to deal with.
    It's an uppercase X, not lower. And obviously since I can still access the browser I'm connected.
    10-05-09 04:11 PM
    I work the Technical Support Desk for at&t, run about the same as VZW. This is not the kind of thing that you are likely to ever get resolved in all honesty. You carrier is just not concerned with one persons small coverage indoors, which is also not guaranteed by your contract. I would give this fight up unless you can rally all your co-workers to call in and complain about the same issue regardless of whether it is true or not.

Sorry mate
    But how is it a coverage issue if I've got coverage That's what doesn't make sense. I've got 5 bars!!!! That's 5 out of 5. Does it get any better than that????

Still doesn't make sense...
    10-05-09 04:12 PM
    I work the Technical Support Desk for at&t, run about the same as VZW. This is not the kind of thing that you are likely to ever get resolved in all honesty. You carrier is just not concerned with one persons small coverage indoors, which is also not guaranteed by your contract.
    True enough, but it's not a coverage issue by the sound of things...
    10-05-09 04:29 PM
    not to overlook all posibilities here.... but is someone running an extender; where at your desk your on/or within the range you get 1X, and when you move, you move out of the extender range(which is only 40 feet) you get 1XEV. the extender will give you all the voice bars but limit you to 1X, maybe this is happening to you. i think if you dial #48 when you see just 1X it will let you know if you're on an extender... just a thought...

bill
    10-05-09 04:32 PM
    not to overlook all posibilities here.... but is someone running an extender; where at your desk your on/or within the range you get 1X, and when you move, you move out of the extender range(which is only 40 feet) you get 1XEV. the extender will give you all the voice bars but limit you to 1X, maybe this is happening to you. i think if you dial #48 when you see just 1X it will let you know if you're on an extender... just a thought...

bill
    Hmmm. Not sure what an extender is. I just tried dialing #48 and nothing happened. I'm not sure I understand how this is all supposed to work..... If I have 1X and 5 bars I should have data and voice capabilities, correct? Well, that makes sense b/c I can talk and text and browse the web with no issues. I just don't get push email.

Now, from what I've been told the only difference between 1X and 1XEV is speed....is that correct? So I understand that data might not be as quick on 1X as it would be on 1XEV but it should still work, right?
    10-05-09 05:08 PM
    Yes. Exactly. It doesn't make any sense.
    10-05-09 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD