I had about 200 contacts in my tour, I used google sync to save them a few times in the past to my google gmail contacts in a dummy account. I ran the sync last time and it put in a few old contacts so this time I deleted all contacts in my gmail account and ran the sync to update my gmail with the current contacts.. but it went the wrong way and deleted all my contacts on phone!!
    10-28-09 11:08 PM
    ugg you would think that the handheld would always overwrites because thats what I use to update and add new info!
    10-28-09 11:21 PM
    plus the first time I ran the sync it took all the info from my phone and put it on my gmail, it did not wipe my phone so I figured it would do the same this time!
    10-28-09 11:22 PM
    Did you ever run the Desktop manager backup routine? That might have your contacts.
    10-28-09 11:31 PM
    no. guess I have to start over.

a possible way to restore deleted gmail contacts?
    10-28-09 11:34 PM
    If you have ever run an OS upgrade through DM or Loader, you will have a loaderbackup(date).ipd file on your computer, usually in your My Documents folder that can be used to Resore your address book database.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:59 PM
    I don't think they go int the trash but you could take a quick look there.

There is something to be said about periodic backups. They are not difficult to do. Create a recurring task to remind yourself to do this at least once a month. With any luck it will be be a waste of time since you hopefully will never need it again. But if something does happen and you lose everything, you can rebuild a lot quicker and it is no longer a waste of time.
    10-29-09 06:58 AM
    This is what I thought I was doing, I was using the google sync to backup my contacts. I thought it would take them off my phone and put them all onto my gmail account.

Instead it just "synced" my 5 new contacts and deleted the rest.

I don't think they go int the trash but you could take a quick look there.

There is something to be said about periodic backups. They are not difficult to do. Create a recurring task to remind yourself to do this at least once a month. With any luck it will be be a waste of time since you hopefully will never need it again. But if something does happen and you lose everything, you can rebuild a lot quicker and it is no longer a waste of time.
    10-29-09 08:16 AM
    Just a note for the future, syncing the device to a data source isn't the same thing as creating periodic backups.

You really should do both .... for just this situation.
    10-29-09 10:54 AM
    Syncing will take any and all changes on either device and make those changes on the other device. That includes additions, changes and deletions. Now some syncing software will all one way syncing only. I do not know if the google sync allows that. Also look to see if there is a prompt before deletion option.

I would guess that more than half of the blackberry users do the bulk of their editing on the computer but both devices are used. (I'd guess 60:40 personally)
    10-29-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD