So, I have seen a couple of people saying that it is BAD that the new BBs will not have wireless charging... but WHY!

From what I have seen 'wireless' charging in its current state involves plugging in the base and then placing the phone on top of the base and NOT MOVING IT. This makes NO SENSE to me... why would you want to be 'tied down' to having your phone on the charging base when you can use a wire and move it around however you want?

This seems counter intuitive, if people want wireless charging to 'free them from the wires' what is the point if they cant use their phone when it is charging on the deck (at least not use it as it was meant to be used by holding it in their hands)... furthermore, if they are willing to not pick it up when charging then what is the difference of having a wire or not?

The only plus side I see is that you can charge all your capable devices on one base... but that wont be a big turn on for a few years when all kinds of devices use this.

Am i missing something or is this just overhyped?
    03-15-13 12:29 PM
    The USB ports that are built into the phone usually start to short or become non functional. The Z10 does Not have charging contacts so placing it in a charging dock is out of the question. Wireless Charging is just easy to plop the phone down on a charged mat and not worry about any usb plug for actually tripping over (depending on the ft), or having a faulty USB port.
    21stNow and BBPandy like this.
    03-15-13 12:44 PM
    I have never had a USB port wear out
    03-15-13 01:00 PM
    It's not overhyped, it's the future. Now that the Qi charging standard has been accepted, all high end devices SHOULD support it. Whether or not they will is another thing. I love the wireless charging on the Lumia 920. Put in on the charger and it charges. You pick it up, do your mail or phone calls, put it back down and it resumes.
    No more wires. It works great. I have two charging pads and a cradle. Works like a dream. Was a bit surprised that the Z10 didn't support Qi, and mentioned it to some people at the launch. It certainly will add weight (the induction coil) to the device. But I really liked the concept. I personally don't think it is hype.
    meganVee likes this.
    03-15-13 01:01 PM
    I guess the hype is you can just sit your phone down, no need wasting time to plug it in, one second gained.

It may sound like a good idea that you can lay more than one device on a charging mat, but you can't.
    Inductive charging is a nice idea, but just like a wired charger it is still limited to the ma output, unless one of the wireless chargers can puss over a full amp through the induction, then 2 or more devices can't be charged at one time. You need at least 500 mA per device, a lot of newer devices need 750 mA to charge.

The only place I can see where inductive charging would come in handy, is in the car, I have seen a chevy with a small compartment under the radio with inductive charging, so you just toss in you phone and go, shouldn't be on it while driving anyway.

I have always wondered, what dose inductive charging do to micro sd cards. Since it uses electro-magnetic fields, I wonder if over time, it could corrupt or erase flash storage, maybe even in the device too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    03-15-13 01:04 PM
    What is the advantage over a well built cradle with charging contacts
    03-15-13 01:07 PM
    No idea, I have a cradle for my 9810, but it dose not have charging contacts, it uses the usb port, when you sit it in the cradle it contacts the usb port and charges. Good to go

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    03-15-13 01:11 PM
    Each device would likely need its own cradle. Any Qi-certified device could use any charging pad or well built cradle.
    bekkay and Tre Lawrence like this.
    03-15-13 01:14 PM
    I would say that the same charging pad can be used for any device... my problem is that it seems weird to push an idea so much when it limits use.

It's not overhyped, it's the future. Now that the Qi charging standard has been accepted, all high end devices SHOULD support it. Whether or not they will is another thing. I love the wireless charging on the Lumia 920. Put in on the charger and it charges. You pick it up, do your mail or phone calls, put it back down and it resumes.
    No more wires. It works great. I have two charging pads and a cradle. Works like a dream. Was a bit surprised that the Z10 didn't support Qi, and mentioned it to some people at the launch. It certainly will add weight (the induction coil) to the device. But I really liked the concept. I personally don't think it is hype.
    or... you can have the phone plugged in and send the emails and do whatever while it charges. Im sure it is a great feature, but to me it seems like the tech isnt ready yet. I dont see the point in not being able to use my device while it charges as a PLUS.
    03-15-13 01:16 PM
    I would say that the same charging pad can be used for any device... my problem is that it seems weird to push an idea so much when it limits use.

or... you can have the phone plugged in and send the emails and do whatever while it charges. Im sure it is a great feature, but to me it seems like the tech isnt ready yet. I dont see the point in not being able to use my device while it charges as a PLUS.
    If the tech wasn't ready yet, they wouldn't have these wireless charging mats for the Other phones like Samsung, and Apple. Oh yeah, and since the Iphone 5S is going to be coming out They are putting in wireless charging (but I may be getting that mistaken for the S 4./.update: there is a Patent filed for this for the new Iphone) and so of course almost everyone goes with what Apple does and even though the technology IS here no one wants to adapt to it unless Apple does it first. Stupid I know, but that is how the world works.
    03-15-13 01:26 PM
    Qi charging should have been a feature of the Z10 - especially since BlackBerry has been part of that collaboration project. I remember when the 9900/9860 were about to come out, we weren't sure if the NFC contacts were charging contacts or NFC or both!

I'm really hoping it shows up in the next 'high end' model they release - unfortunately that may not be for a while.

I really don't understand why neither the Q10 or the Z10 have charging contacts at the bottom. It may have been an engineering difficulty to provide the appropriate mAh via the contacts for the BB10 devices - but subjectively it feels like 'a step backwards' to not have them.

The applications for wireless charging all by the same Qi standard are amazing. Think about being able top-up your device in a public place, i.e. coffee shop, library, starbucks, airport, etc. Madison Square Garden teamed up with PowerMat (now Duracell PowerMat I think) and wants to put charging spots in the arena for patrons. You would likely never need to carry a 'spare battery' again (ok maybe not never, but you get the point).

I agree - the "real wireless" charging, without any contact, would be ideal so your phone would recharge simply in the proximity of a base, while still allowing you to hold and use it. But the current 'wireless' charge is still better than using a cable in my opinion. I was really disappointed with Powermat ditched the "powerpak" idea (remember that from CES a few years ago?). They had designed the batteries themselves to have the wireless charging standard, so there would be no need for specific adaptors / doors for every phone model.

The automobile application is one of other BIG features of wireless charging I think. When the Palm Pre came out, people were immediately trying to get that TouchStone thing retrofitted into their cars with clean installations.

Even in your home - there's ways to integrate the charging components into furniture, so you may never even see it! Imagine walking in and leaving your keys, wallet/purse, and phone down on the coffee table and your phone is already charging!

In the meantime, for our Z10s, Ive been thinking about getting this: Qi Micro USB Wireless Charging Adapter Clip :: MobileFun Hong Kong

It's probably too long and will cross to the other side of the Z10 - but it could be convenient to keep on while at home!
    03-15-13 01:26 PM
    I was about to say the same thing. Too me wireless charging should just be that. I can walk around my house and my phone gets more juice. Anything else is not wireless to me.
    03-15-13 01:28 PM
    Well you're lucky. I had to buy a new phone Just because of that, but that was years ago before I went BlackBerry.
    03-15-13 01:28 PM
    I could never understand why BBRY dropped the charging contacts. They remove all wear and tear on the USB port and it sits really well in the charging dock to use as an alarm clock. I can't think that the addition of the contacts in the manufacturing process would add much to the cost of the phones.
    03-15-13 01:36 PM
    Qi charging should have been a feature of the Z10 - especially since BlackBerry has been part of that collaboration project. I remember when the 9900/9860 were about to come out, we weren't sure if the NFC contacts were charging contacts or NFC or both!

I'm really hoping it shows up in the next 'high end' model they release - unfortunately that may not be for a while.

I really don't understand why neither the Q10 or the Z10 have charging contacts at the bottom. It may have been an engineering difficulty to provide the appropriate mAh via the contacts for the BB10 devices - but subjectively it feels like 'a step backwards' to not have them.

The applications for wireless charging all by the same Qi standard are amazing. Think about being able top-up your device in a public place, i.e. coffee shop, library, starbucks, airport, etc. Madison Square Garden teamed up with PowerMat (now Duracell PowerMat I think) and wants to put charging spots in the arena for patrons. You would likely never need to carry a 'spare battery' again (ok maybe not never, but you get the point).

I agree - the "real wireless" charging, without any contact, would be ideal so your phone would recharge simply in the proximity of a base, while still allowing you to hold and use it. But the current 'wireless' charge is still better than using a cable in my opinion. I was really disappointed with Powermat ditched the "powerpak" idea (remember that from CES a few years ago?). They had designed the batteries themselves to have the wireless charging standard, so there would be no need for specific adaptors / doors for every phone model.

The automobile application is one of other BIG features of wireless charging I think. When the Palm Pre came out, people were immediately trying to get that TouchStone thing retrofitted into their cars with clean installations.

Even in your home - there's ways to integrate the charging components into furniture, so you may never even see it! Imagine walking in and leaving your keys, wallet/purse, and phone down on the coffee table and your phone is already charging!

In the meantime, for our Z10s, Ive been thinking about getting this: Qi Micro USB Wireless Charging Adapter Clip :: MobileFun Hong Kong

It's probably too long and will cross to the other side of the Z10 - but it could be convenient to keep on while at home!
    Pretty much exactly what i was thinking... and why I am so confused lol.

It is really convenient in terms of universal charging... but limits use, but in certain times/places you NEED that extra power and are willing to give up the use of the phone for a few minutes. I think that making a table, or at least maybe a table with a side strip as a charger that will be GREAT so that when you are watching tv you use it during commercials and instantly charge again... or if you are on your computer and you use it to take a break it charges as soon as you place it back on the desk
    03-15-13 01:36 PM
    Here's a different perspective for some of you.

Imagine that a future, unnamed BlackBerry has Qi wireless charging capability.
    You will be falling all over yourselves to comment on yet another example of great, new innovative technology that is sweeping over the BlackBerry ecosystem. And then you will go out and buy wireless charging cradles and pillows from the Crackberry Store.

Deal with it. Just because you don't "get it" doesn't mean that wireless charging isn't viable.
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    03-15-13 01:39 PM
    Here's a different perspective for some of you.

Imagine that a future, unnamed BlackBerry has Qi wireless charging capability.
    You will be falling all over yourselves to comment on yet another example of great, new innovative technology that is sweeping over the BlackBerry ecosystem. And then you will go out and buy wireless charging cradles and pillows from the Crackberry Store.

Deal with it. Just because you don't "get it" doesn't mean that wireless charging isn't viable.
    Id have to disagree with you on that one. Like I said, it would be great in many ways... but when you need to use your phone while charging you need the wire, unless there is a solution to this I will be using wire charging for those times. I have had my phone charging, after about 14 hours of use, and using it to read the news for the day, when im done reading the news i leave it to charge for about an hour and its already charged. IF i were to use wireless charging I would have to charge the battery for about 20 minutes then read (which will drain) then have to charge again for about 2 hours... this doesnt make sense to me. regardless of the phone.
    03-15-13 01:53 PM
    Well you're lucky. I had to buy a new phone Just because of that, but that was years ago before I went BlackBerry.
    And it probably wasn't microUSB either:

The Micro plug design is rated for at least 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles which is significantly more than the Mini plug design.[36] It is also designed to reduce the mechanical wear on the device; instead the easier-to-replace cable is designed to bear the mechanical wear of connection and disconnection.
    Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-15-13 02:01 PM
    @FS - And that's what is great about having a choice.
    I think your scenario is incorrect but that's your opinion.
    03-15-13 02:02 PM
    @FS - And that's what is great about having a choice.
    I think your scenario is incorrect but that's your opinion.
    yea, but if having a choice is good (which I agree) then why is everyone bashing the new features that the G4 has based on 'no one will use them'?

all im saying is that at its current state it seems to be something that you can choose to do (which is great) but not something that will totally replace wired charging. What happens if you need to charge it on the go, or if you go on vacation... you need to carry the whole charging pad, which is bigger than the phone... might as well just bring a wire, since the charging pad will have that same wire PLUS the pad.
    03-15-13 02:07 PM
    I like the concept of wireless charging

Additional features should be welcome.
    03-15-13 02:08 PM
    I like the concept of wireless charging

Additional features should be welcome.
    I agree, i think it is a great feature... i just think that people should not NOT buy a phone, or bash a phone, because it doesnt have it. Lets say it takes another year to fully kick off, that leaves me with two years on my contract. Right now I think it will take a little bit longer than a year to hit full stride, meaning I am half way through my contract. At the very least that means I have to wait one year (you can change after 30 months) to get a new phone... I can live one year without a fully functioning wireless charging phone. Also, if tech does increase drastically in that period I will buy a new phone regardless. In both ways I see myself having a fully functioning, and featured, wireless charging phone in the next two years. I dont see anything wrong with that. I would buy any current phone right now regardless of current charging, if i was interested in it to begin with.

I fully agree that it is the future... but lets not bash PRESENT phones for not supporting FUTURE features. ANY PHONES!
    03-15-13 02:20 PM
    I also like the concept, but it's also very inefficient, adds bulk to the phone, and overall less flexible, and isn't really a "must have" feature.

I got used to plugging in my phone every night so I'm okay now. But I used to have the 8900 with the charging contacts and I only needed to place my phone into the dock and didn't have to plug anything in. Then I got the 9810 and for the first week I was really annoyed that I had to plug in the phone, but then I also got used to it.

I would actually prefer a phone with charging contacts and a dock that stands up the phone than wireless charging.
    03-15-13 02:35 PM
    I agree, i think it is a great feature... i just think that people should not NOT buy a phone, or bash a phone, because it doesnt have it. Lets say it takes another year to fully kick off, that leaves me with two years on my contract. Right now I think it will take a little bit longer than a year to hit full stride, meaning I am half way through my contract. At the very least that means I have to wait one year (you can change after 30 months) to get a new phone... I can live one year without a fully functioning wireless charging phone. Also, if tech does increase drastically in that period I will buy a new phone regardless. In both ways I see myself having a fully functioning, and featured, wireless charging phone in the next two years. I dont see anything wrong with that. I would buy any current phone right now regardless of current charging, if i was interested in it to begin with.

I fully agree that it is the future... but lets not bash PRESENT phones for not supporting FUTURE features. ANY PHONES!
    I see your point.

The lack of it would not stop me from buying a device I like, but having it definitely makes it more attractive as an option.
    BBPandy likes this.
    03-15-13 02:39 PM
    +1

Oh wait that was my point
    03-15-13 03:01 PM
43 12