You really just have to take a deep breath and list your "dealbreaker" priorities. A lot of Android apps are being sideloaded to BB10 with good results. Some of them will no doubt eventually appear as native apps, so that's something to think about. But if there's something you absolutely need, and it's not on BB10 and not sideloadable, then I advise against buying on any "it'll be there soon" promise.

Example: I listen to Audible books a lot. To my knowledge the Audible app hasn't yet been sideloaded (I could be wrong about that) to BB10. Before I get a Z10 I'll need to know that that app will work. If it won't, I just won't get the Z10. I'm willing to go to some trouble--sideloading--to get it, but I'm not willing to give it up. If you absolutely have to have the Gmail app, and don't want to use the browser for those times when you need to search back beyond 30 days, then in my opinion your decision is made for you. You need an Android phone. Nobody is in a position to insist that using the browser is "just as good" if that's not how you want to do it.

Another consideration about using the browser instead of apps is that many web sites will send involve a lot more data transfer than what an app will do. When I use the PageOnce app, only the updated values of various accounts have to be sent. When I go to the web site on the browser, everything has to be sent. This will make a difference in data usage, and data compression is no longer there to compensate in BB10. Yes, some mobile sites are stripped down and optimized to reduce data load, but many aren't.
    Your post is abundantly sensible, good sir!

One factoid to chew on: Kindle is a "committed" app, which I read as "will be available in time for US launch", though I could be wrong. Seeing as Amazon owns Audible, I'd be rather surprised if that doesn't wind up available for BB10 as well.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 04:08 PM
    Once you get your new device, you might want begin looking into the unhealthy reliance you have on Google applications. Since you have remained with BB this long and it took these recent changes in Google's policies to drive you away, I think you are a dedicated kind of person. Pick your allegiance carefully. Samsung is the clear leader in the Android arena and they make great devices but their allegiances are with their shareholders and they don't hide that at all. If BB and Apple would let them, they would make devices running BB10 and iOS6. Either that or they will be striking out on their own and that would be a huge blow to Google.

Enjoying what is now with a keen eye to the possibilities is always a good idea.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-10-13 05:26 PM
    sticK with OS10 to see what its like before jump ship. MigHt fall in love with BB again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 05:44 PM
    Finally played around with a Samsung Galaxy 3 (and also briefly a Z10).
    Wow.
    1. How is iPhone even still in business?
    2. Z10 is really nice - but feels too small after using the Samsung.

SwiftKey keyboard is insanely good (ditto BB keyboard).
    Its about the apps and its looking like my next phone will be Android, most probably Galaxy variant.
    Thank you all very much for the helpful insights and for putting up with my naive questions.
    02-10-13 05:56 PM
    If you have to ask the question, then it already has been answered. Please consider the request.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 05:58 PM
    Don't expect the OS to get updated with each version. There is no guarantee. My Droid is 8 months old and the OS is 2 versions old. Done with Android.
    Get a nexus.
    Saiga likes this.
    02-10-13 06:12 PM
    Well, I'M not convincing you, but this guy prefers his Z10 over an S3.
    5 Days with my Z10, Coming from a Galaxy S3 - Real Talk - LONG READ | CrackBerry Forums
    02-10-13 06:19 PM
    ANewUser,

At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you. I am happy that you have decided on a phone that will suit your needs and not others think. Otherwise you would end up as an unsatisfied owner of a phone that is not compatible with what you want. When I bought my Z10, it was because I decided that it was the phone that would work best for me.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 06:23 PM
    Get a nexus.
    Nexus looks amazing ... but battery life looks like a problem no? Are there portable storage options?
    02-10-13 06:37 PM
    Correct, although now it's any of your homescreens, not just the main one. But you cannot use the launchers gestures in apps, although there is an app I use on my Note 10.1 tab called GMD Gesture Control that works in apps.

EDIT: I just installed the GMD app on my phone and set up some settings. Now I can swipe Up to get to my Homescreen (same as BB10), swipe Up and Right to "Peek" at my notification bar, as well as swipe Up and Left to go Back. So now I have my phone set up to work entirely off gestures, rather than "buttons". It's a pretty cool app actually..and all these gestures can be performed within any app, not just from the homescreen.
    That's pretty cool. My phone's too old now to meet that app's requirements, but I did just find a really cool ubuntu phone OS sidebar app that also works from within apps. It's called Ubuntu phone experience. I also use an ubuntu theme lock screen and icons. Now there's nothing ubuntu OS offers that I wasn't able to replicate on a 2 year old gingerbread android lol.
    02-10-13 06:38 PM
    Get the Nexus 4 you won't regret it, battery gets me through the day easily but probably depends on how you use your phone. GS3 and Note 2 also good options or just wait for the GS4 lol.
    02-10-13 06:47 PM
    Get the Nexus 4 you won't regret it, battery gets me through the day easily but probably depends on how you use your phone. GS3 and Note 2 also good options or just wait for the GS4 lol.
    Nexus 4 looks like the primal droid phone. But I'm a power user - 9900 is always drained by 3 pm or so.
    Are you BB owner as well?
    02-10-13 06:55 PM
    Once you get your new device, you might want begin looking into the unhealthy reliance you have on Google applications. Since you have remained with BB this long and it took these recent changes in Google's policies to drive you away, I think you are a dedicated kind of person. Pick your allegiance carefully. Samsung is the clear leader in the Android arena and they make great devices but their allegiances are with their shareholders and they don't hide that at all. If BB and Apple would let them, they would make devices running BB10 and iOS6. Either that or they will be striking out on their own and that would be a huge blow to Google.

Enjoying what is now with a keen eye to the possibilities is always a good idea.
    You are right ... my allegiance to Google is unhealthy.... but its also afforded me a lot of power and efficiency at an extremely low cost (Gmail, Google Voice), so I'm Unfortunately inclined to remain so linked...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 06:59 PM
    Well, I'M not convincing you, but this guy prefers his Z10 over an S3.
    5 Days with my Z10, Coming from a Galaxy S3 - Real Talk - LONG READ | CrackBerry Forums
    Thanks, very interesting.
    The S3 felt really good when I tried it but I will also be trying the Nexus 4 and the Z10 at length before making any moves
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 07:01 PM
    Nexus 4 looks like the primal droid phone. But I'm a power user - 9900 is always drained by 3 pm or so.
    Are you BB owner as well?
    Yes I had the 9900 sold it back in October then had a 9780 for a while (waiting for BB10) I said to myself if BB10 flops I'm leaving so in the meantime i wanted to try out different phones, had the iPhone 4 for a month didn't like it was planning to get the GS3 but i left the country for a while on my return heard of the Nexus 4 decided to get it (can't go wrong for that price �280) it's my first android phone and i kept reading about 'Pure Android' so decided to stick to the Nexus line, comparing this phone to my 9900 (I know the specs are way diffferent) but this phone was so smooth no lag what so ever and I'm someone who hated touchscreen phones but i can honestly say I'm faster typing on the Nexus than i was on the 9900 (I use Swipe) and the app availability is good. I was still planning to come back to BB10 but spending time with this phone I've realised there's nothing I miss about BB (plus i don't like how Blackberry take so long to release a phone and it's still half baked when it comes out).
    02-10-13 07:16 PM
    You are right ... my allegiance to Google is unhealthy.... but its also afforded me a lot of power and efficiency at an extremely low cost (Gmail, Google Voice), so I'm Unfortunately inclined to remain so linked...
    That may depend on how you define "extremely low cost". Google collects a staggering amount of usage data from Android users. You may not care (and many don't), but that is a consideration for some.

I'd love to know what Google thinks of BB10 right now. I still maintain that there's at least an outside chance that Google will provide apps for BB10 just for the sake of administering a sharp poke in the eye to Microsoft.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 07:21 PM
    Yes I had the 9900 sold it back in October then had a 9780 for a while (waiting for BB10) I said to myself if BB10 flops I'm leaving so in the meantime i wanted to try out different phones, had the iPhone 4 for a month didn't like it was planning to get the GS3 but i left the country for a while on my return heard of the Nexus 4 decided to get it (can't go wrong for that price �280) it's my first android phone and i kept reading about 'Pure Android' so decided to stick to the Nexus line, comparing this phone to my 9900 (I know the specs are way diffferent) but this phone was so smooth no lag what so ever and I'm someone who hated touchscreen phones but i can honestly say I'm faster typing on the Nexus than i was on the 9900 (I use Swipe) and the app availability is good. I was still planning to come back to BB10 but spending time with this phone I've realised there's nothing I miss about BB (plus i don't like how Blackberry take so long to release a phone and it's still half baked when it comes out).
    Nice. How would you compare N4 to S3? No battery issues with N4?
    02-10-13 07:47 PM
    I just switched from the Galaxy Nexus to the Z10 and I wouldn't go back to Android, it feels very slow now. My battery on the GNex was horrid, while the Z10 with LTE is better. The keyboards cannot be compared as the Z10 is much better. Just because they license swfitkey, you can't say they are the same. Google doesn't own swiftkey, they license it like BB. Google maps works fine on the Z10 if you want to sideload it.
    That may depend on how you define "extremely low cost". Google collects a staggering amount of usage data from Android users. You may not care (and many don't), but that is a consideration for some.

I'd love to know what Google thinks of BB10 right now. I still maintain that there's at least an outside chance that Google will provide apps for BB10 just for the sake of administering a sharp poke in the eye to Microsoft.
    lol would be nice
    I just switched from the Galaxy Nexus to the Z10 and I wouldn't go back to Android, it feels very slow now. The keyboards cannot be compared as the Z10 is much better. Just because they license swfitkey, you can't say they are the same. Google doesn't own swiftkey, they license it like BB. Google maps works fine on the Z10 if you want to sideload it.
    Cool. Are you able to find Gmail or Google Voice for Z10?
    02-10-13 07:48 PM
    Cool. Are you able to find Gmail or Google Voice for Z10?
    Haven't tried sideloading the two because I don't use neither. You may be able to find the bar files online to sideload.
    02-10-13 07:52 PM

Have you seen the Scroogled (spelling) website? Google and Microsoft going at each other might be the break BB needs.
    02-10-13 08:01 PM
    And this is how we learn. I did not know that about the s3. Thanks. I had a DROID x and s2 and I was charging 4+ times daily.
    I am at 4% right now and have over 4 hours screen time and over 21 hours total. I wouldn't even get that on my 9700 BB.

the s3 has an amazing battery life as long as you can tweak certain things.

Aah... the issues with iOS coming to bite other platforms.... What honest difference does it make if you use the browser as compared to the App? Especially in your use case.....no app is going to sync messages that old......

Really... someone needs to write an editorial saying that blackberry has plenty of apps.... because it has the one app that makes all the difference... a desktop class web browser.
    I would have a z10 1st day of launch in the US if it could stream Netflix.

We really shouldt have to take so many steps to fire something up, when an app takes one and you are in it.

Ilk? Really?

We are all united by an interest in BlackBerry. One thing that my, uh, ilk do try to understand that maturity invites discussion. Clearly, to you, that translated to an attack on a fansite. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, and that is cool. Asking you to be courteous to someone asking genuine questions equals "crapping" on BlackBerry.

Wow.

I've been around here too long to feel the need to explain to folks like you (that are driven to such rage to use shielded profanity) why I'm here, but I humbly suggest using the ignore button. it works well, and helps reduce the need for high blood pressure medication. The "report" button also works well to help enforce your views as to the direction this site should go.

Alternatively, you can try to be courteous, respect views and live with my ilk, painful as the proposition is.
    Word!

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 08:03 PM
    Have you seen the Scroogled (spelling) website? Google and Microsoft going at each other might be the break BB needs.
    I am v surprised MS hasn't bought BB. Would be horrible for BB but would solve alot of MS problems
    02-10-13 08:04 PM
    Here's the thing with Google: they have a huge incentive to put their apps on every platform that has tens of millions of users, because their entire business model is based on advertising revenue: if they don't have Google Maps on BB10, they won't have all those users looking at maps with little icons for restaurants and gas stations and attractions, and users won't click them and then Google won't get revenue.

The Google apps will come as soon as BB10 is out of the woods.
    02-10-13 08:06 PM
271 ... 7891011