A guide on the the TouchWiz UI.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post2483949

I use the SIII in the same ways I used BB. I'm as efficient in either format, once I learned the tricks and differences between the two. In some methods, I may be a little quicker on one side or the other, but they offset.*I'm looking forward to the new generation of BB, and wanna see a winner.
    Thanks! I see, ToughWiz seems to be Samsung's "skin" - interesting, will check it out
    02-09-13 02:21 AM
    By the way I have about 3 or 4 Gmail accounts.... I hope (assume) I can have em all on an Android ...... right?
    02-09-13 02:23 AM
    I want BB to hurry up and make a deal with Google but it probably wont happen.
    Nexus 4 looks nice except the battery -- will have research portable power options for that.
    Galaxy S4 looks to be upcoming too - I wonder how that will look?
    Same form as the SIII with an expanded screen. Two speakers up front instead of one in the rear. Then there's the guts....
    02-09-13 02:25 AM
    You're welcome! Yeah, it's a shame that seems to be happening. All my emails are through Gmail and I use Google Voice regularly myself.
    Ditto, I'm married to Google. And apple incidentally. But iPhone doesn't do it for me. BB seems to make the best phones but I guess we're not really talking about phones anymore.....
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 02:26 AM
    Same form as the SIII with an expanded screen. Two speakers up front instead of one in the rear. Then there's the guts....
    Wow bigger screen? That could be sick .... something between an S3 and a Note I guess. Very nice sounding indeed. Wonder when itll come out
    02-09-13 02:27 AM
    I want BB to hurry up and make a deal with Google but it probably wont happen.
    Nexus 4 looks nice except the battery -- will have research portable power options for that.
    Galaxy S4 looks to be upcoming too - I wonder how that will look?
    Battery life on android is just not great period. Not just n4. U say s4 is cool but note is too big. But I hear the s4 will have a 5" screen which began the question, how big will the note be?
    02-09-13 02:29 AM
    By the way I have about 3 or 4 Gmail accounts.... I hope (assume) I can have em all on an Android ...... right?
    You've assumed/hoped correctly.
    02-09-13 02:30 AM
    When you say Gmail - Gmail app? Thats what I mean .... ie I can search my gmail for an email from 6 yrs ago etc etc. .... need that functionality.
    meh then get a droid. id recommend the xperia t, or z with a custom rom. not a fan of samsungs look, or size. or even a nexus 4.

it's the ability to put on any rom/kernel combo you want that will make it feel like your own. but be prepared, there is a learning curve and a risk of bricking your phone. visit xda dev if you are really interested.
    02-09-13 02:32 AM
    Also. Samsung feels, well to me at least, feels way too plasticy. Definitely doesnt feel too premium.
    02-09-13 02:32 AM
    You are going to have to make this choice no one can make it for you.
    02-09-13 02:33 AM
    Battery life on android is just not great period. Not just n4. U say s4 is cool but note is too big. But I hear the s4 will have a 5" screen which began the question, how big will the note be?
    Battery life on my SIII isn't bad. The screen is the biggest battery hog, but if I go reverse contrast in the browser I can make it go all day, if need be. I use the browser a ton...
    02-09-13 02:35 AM
    You are going to have to make this choice no one can make it for you.
    And this is why I recommended a test drive, as it isn't for everyone. Needs and wants can make for strange bedfellows...
    02-09-13 02:37 AM
    Battery life on my SIII isn't bad. The screen is the biggest battery hog, but if I go reverse contrast in the browser I can make it go all day, if need be. I use the browser a ton...
    And this is how we learn. I did not know that about the s3. Thanks. I had a DROID x and s2 and I was charging 4+ times daily.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 02:39 AM
    When you say Gmail - Gmail app? Thats what I mean .... ie I can search my gmail for an email from 6 yrs ago etc etc. .... need that functionality.
    Aah... the issues with iOS coming to bite other platforms.... What honest difference does it make if you use the browser as compared to the App? Especially in your use case.....no app is going to sync messages that old......

Really... someone needs to write an editorial saying that blackberry has plenty of apps.... because it has the one app that makes all the difference... a desktop class web browser.
    02-09-13 02:44 AM
    I've been waiting months and months for BB10. Not willing to wait much longer for basic Google Apps.
    Hopefully the apps kick in before Galaxy s4.
    If Google apps are important, go with Android. At least you can be sure they won't be ever discontinued. I am also checking the progress of Z10. I want it to succeed and if it gets the apps I want, will go for it. Second option is Xperia Z, a smashing looking phone that I can't go wrong with.
    02-09-13 02:48 AM
    And this is how we learn. I did not know that about the s3. Thanks. I had a DROID x and s2 and I was charging 4+ times daily.
    The CDMA SIII uses more juice than a GSM does, qbnkelt can tell you of the amazing life hers gets. As for plasticky, I don't notice because I'm in a Ballistic Smooth case, which gives protection without bulk. The S2 was prone to major signal issues/loss of signal, whi h just sucks the life out of a battery, fast. They did a much better job with reception on the SIII. It is pretty much on par with the Photon, which had phenomenal reception. My daughter wanted the S2 for size, but I talked her out of it. And since she got hers for $49.99, and I got mine for $48, it worked out well.

Oh, battery management has improved, also.
    02-09-13 02:51 AM
    Wait....... When did this turn into an android forum? Anyways, make your own decisions I am sure your a big boy
    02-09-13 03:08 AM
    This is promising, if this works as good as it appears its one less thing I'll feel like I'm losing if I get a z10
    02-09-13 03:53 AM
    You really just have to take a deep breath and list your "dealbreaker" priorities. A lot of Android apps are being sideloaded to BB10 with good results. Some of them will no doubt eventually appear as native apps, so that's something to think about. But if there's something you absolutely need, and it's not on BB10 and not sideloadable, then I advise against buying on any "it'll be there soon" promise.

Example: I listen to Audible books a lot. To my knowledge the Audible app hasn't yet been sideloaded (I could be wrong about that) to BB10. Before I get a Z10 I'll need to know that that app will work. If it won't, I just won't get the Z10. I'm willing to go to some trouble--sideloading--to get it, but I'm not willing to give it up. If you absolutely have to have the Gmail app, and don't want to use the browser for those times when you need to search back beyond 30 days, then in my opinion your decision is made for you. You need an Android phone. Nobody is in a position to insist that using the browser is "just as good" if that's not how you want to do it.

Another consideration about using the browser instead of apps is that many web sites will send involve a lot more data transfer than what an app will do. When I use the PageOnce app, only the updated values of various accounts have to be sent. When I go to the web site on the browser, everything has to be sent. This will make a difference in data usage, and data compression is no longer there to compensate in BB10. Yes, some mobile sites are stripped down and optimized to reduce data load, but many aren't.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-09-13 07:49 AM
    Honestly? I'd suggest you stop seeking attention and do what you feel is right. Not here for this ****.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-09-13 07:54 AM
    It is funny to see how the majority of BlackBerry fans will be happy with any device as long as it is a BlackBerry. People here have flip flopped about what they want/need from a smartphone so much and its simply hilarious to see.

I have been a fan of BlackBerry smartphones for years, but only because of what they were capable of doing. OS7 is without question the best OS there is for people that want to communicate more than be entertained. It was unique in that Android and iOS are more focused on entertainment than the things BB legacy OS focused on. And numerous people continuously defended BlackBerry because of those unique features.

Now, BlackBerry 10 has lost the majority of those things. BB10 isn't as good at comminication as Android is. Android handles email, contacts, notifications, data backups, data restores, and pretty much everything else better than BB10. Blackberry focused on making a "me too" os and completely forgot about all the small things that made BlackBerry fans become fans in the first place. Its clear that they were mostly focused on building a product for media consumption, apps and entertaintment, yet Android and iOS still beats BB when it comes to those things. So BlackBerry 10 looses the honor of being the best at communication, to catch up to everyone else with entertainment.

The fans that are loving BlackBerry 10 right now are clearly just in love with anything BlackBerry. Honestly, if you all wanted an Android or iPhone like device, you could of had one a long time ago without waiting through all of the delays. For me though, the things I used BlackBerry for aren't on BlackBerry 10 yet. So I'm keeping the 99 activated and will use the Z10 like an iPod.
    richardat and katesbb like this.
    02-09-13 08:17 AM
    It is funny to see how the majority of BlackBerry fans will be happy with any device as long as it is a BlackBerry. People here have flip flopped about what they want/need from a smartphone so much and its simply hilarious to see.

I have been a fan of BlackBerry smartphones for years, but only because of what they were capable of doing. OS7 is without question the best OS there is for people that want to communicate more than be entertained. It was unique in that Android and iOS are more focused on entertainment than the things BB legacy OS focused on. And numerous people continuously defended BlackBerry because of those unique features.

Now, BlackBerry 10 has lost the majority of those things. BB10 isn't as good at comminication as Android is. Android handles email, contacts, notifications, data backups, data restores, and pretty much everything else better than BB10. Blackberry focused on making a "me too" os and completely forgot about all the small things that made BlackBerry fans become fans in the first place. Its clear that they were mostly focused on building a product for media consumption, apps and entertaintment, yet Android and iOS still beats BB when it comes to those things. So BlackBerry 10 looses the honor of being the best at communication, to catch up to everyone else with entertainment.

The fans that are loving BlackBerry 10 right now are clearly just in love with anything BlackBerry. Honestly, if you all wanted an Android or iPhone like device, you could of had one a long time ago without waiting through all of the delays. For me though, the things I used BlackBerry for aren't on BlackBerry 10 yet. So I'm keeping the 99 activated and will use the Z10 like an iPod.
    It seemed like the people on this thread were mainly just sharing information on the pros and cons of their devices.
    02-09-13 08:37 AM
    Yeah I wasn't singleing out anyone here in this thread. This thread has actually been very civial. Just letting the OP know that I've seen a lot of BlackBerry fans flip flop about what they want or need and at the end, it seems like a lot of BlackBerry fans wanted or needed a Android or iOS phone in the first place. Meaning, the opinion of the masses on this site change as needed. So asking for people here to convince you one way or the other isnt a good idea. Actually, asking anyone to do that is just dingy. Comes down to personal preference.

I must have failed miserably at making that point clear enough in my post though haha.
    02-09-13 08:47 AM
    There has to be some compelling reasons to not go to Android though.
    Malware - supposd to be bad on Android right?
    Build quality - I'm sure its not as good as BB.

Right??
    Wrong!! Get a SGSIII. You won't be sorry.
    02-09-13 08:51 AM
    no app is going to sync messages that old......
    You're sure? Please try to be.

The browser can't do all, but I'm sure you know that.
    02-09-13 09:03 AM
271 12345 ...