It depends on what story you want to believe. Later stories were amended:

"The bizarre saga involving a lost prototype of the iPhone 5 has taken another interesting turn. Contradicting past statements that no records exist of police involvement in the search for the lost prototype, San Francisco Police Department spokesman Lt. Troy Dangerfield now tells SF Weekly that "three or four" SFPD officers accompanied two Apple security officials in an unusual search of a Bernal Heights man's home."

For some it's easy to believe Apple impersonating police officers and "storming houses" because they have a inclination for stories that show Apple in a bad light. Apple generates a pro and anti cult church of people. Call it jealousy at their success, call it an aversion to their fan base, call it whatever you want. Most of it is just parroting what the hear and read with no real thought just to be on an anti-band wagon.

For me, if I'm an Apple Security person asked to do something like this, my first thought is going to be am I paid to get shot. You are walking into a unknown situation with no authority and if something goes down, how you going to get out of it.

Since none of us was there, no one can say for sure what happened. Since it doesn't affect me I am not going to worry about it. That' what a Sig Sauer is for.
    Yea when the articles first came out it said nothing about police going with them, just that they impersonated police. What you posted is what I remember reading a while after and going "yea, this makes more sense".
    02-26-12 03:46 PM
    That speaker is so Steve Jobs can speak to the Applites in the Afterlife.
    Which explains why the PlayBook has two speakers: one for each of the former co-CEOs.
    avt123 and currentodysseys like this.
    02-26-12 04:41 PM
    Yea when the articles first came out it said nothing about police going with them, just that they impersonated police. What you posted is what I remember reading a while after and going "yea, this makes more sense".
    Seems to me that the whole episode could have been prevented if dude had had the presence of mind to ask to see their warrant.

currentodysseys: Sorry if you took my use of the word "b&llSh^t" as a personal attack or insult. The thing is,....in our country, the United States, (where the "event" happened) the police (much less Apple fracking Computer) are not allowed to enter your home for any reason unless you...... a: grant them permission or ....b: they have obtained a warrant from a judge based on reasonable suspicion. This is built into our Constitution to protect the public from unreasonable search and seizure by the government. Nothing I've read relating this incident suggests that the police had a warrant. This happened because Apple was seriously concerned about protecting their interests with their fourth generation phone and the police in San Francisco are evidently some big-time boneheads and similarly, the guy who had the phone was too stupid to ask for a warrant. He's apparently never seen "Law and Order."
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-26-12 11:29 PM
    Sheesh, why does engaget have to blindly assume and judge, making a bad review? Don't they even own and use a blackberry playbook at all? Like really?
    02-27-12 06:34 AM
    Sheesh, why does engaget have to blindly assume and judge, making a bad review? Don't they even own and use a blackberry playbook at all? Like really?
    They had a review unit at launch, and their reviews are always based on a finite experience with the product.
    02-27-12 07:39 AM
    I definitely don't think Playbook the Worst Gadget. I bet the readers are all Apple Fan Boys.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 07:39 AM
    You would be quite wrong. I've had the pleasure of using a PB on many occasion.

Well then I suggest you read back... because that is exactly what I was referring to. Or did you not understand this line from Hurds...
    Humm did you mess up and type pleasure when you meant displeasure?

On topic i think there are much worse things out there than the PB. Who does the voting, their readers? Humm now reads that crap?
    02-27-12 08:03 AM
    Seems to me that the whole episode could have been prevented if dude had had the presence of mind to ask to see their warrant.

currentodysseys: Sorry if you took my use of the word "b&llSh^t" as a personal attack or insult. The thing is,....in our country, the United States, (where the "event" happened) the police (much less Apple fracking Computer) are not allowed to enter your home for any reason unless you...... a: grant them permission or ....b: they have obtained a warrant from a judge based on reasonable suspicion. This is built into our Constitution to protect the public from unreasonable search and seizure by the government. Nothing I've read relating this incident suggests that the police had a warrant. This happened because Apple was seriously concerned about protecting their interests with their fourth generation phone and the police in San Francisco are evidently some big-time boneheads and similarly, the guy who had the phone was too stupid to ask for a warrant. He's apparently never seen "Law and Order."
    I always say "a good misunderstanding is a great opportunity for a good friendship"

As far as the apple thing is concerned, well it is just extra input and open to discussion as should be everything in that kind of contexts.

PS:1. Same goes for Greece in terms of private space, and i believe should be in every country if we want to keep been called "humans". And 2: how can someone not have ever seen law and order???? Omg, THIS would seriously be a fail!!! Love l&o with some tea and applepie for dinner!

Best regards
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 02-27-12 at 03:22 PM.
    02-27-12 03:14 PM
    Jack McCoy FTW!

You can't fool those eyebrows.
    02-27-12 03:24 PM
    I definitely don't think Playbook the Worst Gadget. I bet the readers are all Apple Fan Boys.

Is this the generic answer for reasons why the PB gets bad reviews? Everyone just happens to be an Apple fanboy? I guess this is the most logical answer.

I happen to think the PB is a very nice device, but not everyone will share the same opinion and that is acceptable.
    02-27-12 05:48 PM
    Is this the generic answer for reasons why the PB gets bad reviews? Everyone just happens to be an Apple fanboy? I guess this is the most logical answer.

I happen to think the PB is a very nice device, but not everyone will share the same opinion and that is acceptable.
    No. But there does appear to be some synergy between them and people who don't know anything about gadgets.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 05:51 PM
    No. But there does appear to be some synergy between them and people who don't know anything about gadgets.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    Well Engadget has become a joke over the years so I really don't visit that site anyways. I like theverge much better. But even they didn't rate the PB that well so I guess they must automatically be Apple fanboys as well.
    02-27-12 06:05 PM
    Well Engadget has become a joke over the years so I really don't visit that site anyways. I like theverge much better. But even they didn't rate the PB that well so I guess they must automatically be Apple fanboys as well.
    It's simple: if you didn't like the PlayBook, you're an Apple "fanboy," regardless of whether you use Apple products or not. No exceptions. To the extent that this ignores other platforms, at least one of which is hugely successful, get over it. These are the rules and they shall not be changed.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 06:34 PM
    It's simple: if you didn't like the PlayBook, you're an Apple "fanboy," regardless of whether you use Apple products or not. No exceptions. To the extent that this ignores other platforms, at least one of which is hugely successful, get over it. These are the rules and they shall not be changed.
    Sounds about right to me.
    02-27-12 06:36 PM
    snip...I bet the readers are all Apple Fan Boys.

You should see a doctor about that knee.
    02-27-12 07:06 PM
    I would like to know if any of the writers of these articles actually use the product they review because the first thing that stands out on the playbook is its fantastic multitasking ability and any user of an ipad or android tablet knows that its multitasking leaves something to be desired.
    02-28-12 06:41 AM
    I would like to know if any of the writers of these articles actually use the product they review because the first thing that stands out on the playbook is its fantastic multitasking ability and any user of an ipad or android tablet knows that its multitasking leaves something to be desired.
    And just what about this "fantastic multitasking" makes it appealing to everyday consumers? Give me some specific examples if you could..other than "ZOMG I can watch a movie and browse teh interwebz!!"
    02-28-12 08:18 AM
    They pretended to be the police? Did they pretend to have a warrant as well? I'm sorry but this sounds like it came from a ferrelli bros. movie. Not that it didn't happen, I recall reading it. But it's more comical than imposing.

I guess the word "stroming" suggested heavily armed agents rappelling from helicopters or something. It's a bit dramatic.

@stroming

I see what you did there.
    02-28-12 10:38 AM
    I love black berry play book
    02-29-12 06:54 AM
    Is the perception that bad around RIM?
    Yes.......
    02-29-12 09:09 AM
120 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD