I'm not going to even link the page, but according the Engadget's reader's choice awards, the PB got voted as the Worst of the worst. I really don't understand all this hate going on? Are iOS/Android users really threatened by it?

Edit: This was what the PB was up against:

Worst Gadget of 2011

BlackBerry PlayBook
    HP TouchPad
    Google Chromebook
    Jawbone Up
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Fusion Garage Grid10
    Notion Ink Adam
    HP Veer 4G

Update: At least the Engadget Editors are more level headed. They picked the HTC Thunderbolt in the Editor's Choice awards.
    Last edited by glennster28; 02-24-12 at 11:58 AM.
    02-23-12 12:23 PM
    Threatened? Not likely.

I doubt that many people have tried it. It's not for everybody, almost an aquired taste.
    02-23-12 12:26 PM
    Threatened? Not likely.

I doubt that many people have tried it. It's not for everybody, almost an aquired taste.
    But if that's the case, why would people vote it as the worst? Is the perception that bad around RIM? In contrast, the Fusion Garage products were a legit failure.
    joski likes this.
    02-23-12 12:33 PM
    The hate is ridiculous, and only reinforces my belief that most people are mindless sheep. They can be fans of their respective platforms, but that doesn't mean put on the blinders and have religious ferocity against other devices.
    02-23-12 12:37 PM
    It's 2012. Move on.
    kraski, emirozmen, CDM76 and 30 others like this.
    02-23-12 12:40 PM
    Let me just add to the 2012 note.

I just ordered four Playbooks for the rest of my family. A friend of mine wanted to order one and we called Best Buy. Everyone of their stores in the Portland area is sold out.

With 2.0 the Playbook is competitive on all the areas and is still an awesome size and great specs. Now add the 199 or 249 price and it is a ridiculously great deal.

I'm just going to forecast that BlackBerry is going to sell out of their inventory in the next few months. After that, I hope the price does not go up too much but it should drift upward. I hope they keep it at 299 for 16GB and 250 for 32GB so it is still a great deal and more people get it.
    Thunderbuck and 00stryder like this.
    02-23-12 12:45 PM
    Its all about what the media says, this is the power of PR marketing communications, the negative online media coverage against the PlayBook and other Blackberry products is really ridiculous and blatant at times, almost as if some of these tech reviewers have a real personal problem with RIM. Blackberry products are not the worst out there, there are loads of far worst products that get no attention! I am sooooo glad i went with gut instincts with my PlayBook and 9900!
    BearSnout and joski like this.
    02-23-12 12:50 PM
    Let me just add to the 2012 note.

I just ordered four Playbooks for the rest of my family. A friend of mine wanted to order one and we called Best Buy. Everyone of their stores in the Portland area is sold out.

With 2.0 the Playbook is competitive on all the areas and is still an awesome size and great specs. Now add the 199 or 249 price and it is a ridiculously great deal.

I'm just going to forecast that BlackBerry is going to sell out of their inventory in the next few months. After that, I hope the price does not go up too much but it should drift upward. I hope they keep it at 299 for 16GB and 250 for 32GB so it is still a great deal and more people get it.
    On the 2012 note as well, i bought a PlayBook for my wife who wanted an "iPad thing", she works for a Telco out here and all her coworkers with ipads, galaxy tabs and a kindle fire (i wonder why doesn't work out here) are loving the PlayBook big time!
    02-23-12 12:56 PM
    The Thunderbolt was an awesome device! It just had a terrible battery. That alone makes me not agree with the article.

As Kevin said, it's a new year, with a new CEO and a new start essentially for BlackBerry. So far 2012 has been promising!
    02-23-12 12:59 PM
    It's 2012. Move on.
    Well the poll was done a few weeks ago, the results were published today. RIM needs to step up the marketing to reverse this negative perception.
    02-23-12 01:03 PM
    Threatened? Come on...
    02-23-12 01:09 PM
    As Kevin said, it's a new year, with a new CEO and a new start essentially for BlackBerry. So far 2012 has been promising!
    Well..RIM's hit their first deadline (that I can recall) in probably 2+ years. I guess that's promising..
    02-23-12 01:20 PM
    Gotta start somewhere, Rick!
    02-23-12 01:23 PM
    I hope they keep it at 299 for 16GB and 250 for 32GB so it is still a great deal and more people get it.
    That's it. Charge less for the device with more storage. That'll "git 'er done."

The hate is ridiculous, and only reinforces my belief that most people are mindless sheep. They can be fans of their respective platforms, but that doesn't mean put on the blinders and have religious ferocity against other devices.
    Yes, I'm sure that's why the BlackBerry Curve is the 4th best selling smartphone in the U.S.(http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...one-us-702614/). The problem with the "mindless sheep" claim that jumps out to me is that you likely believe that the phrase only applies to users of other platforms. Trust me, it doesn't, because no group is immune.
    02-23-12 01:24 PM
    apple ipad should be on the list... oh well next year.

os 2.0 is SOLID
    02-23-12 01:35 PM
    I'm not going to even link the page, but according the Engadget's reader's choice awards, the PB got voted as the Worst of the worst. I really don't understand all this hate going on? Are iOS/Android users really threatened by it?

Worst Gadget of 2011

BlackBerry PlayBook
    HP TouchPad
    Google Chromebook
    Jawbone Up
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Fusion Garage Grid10
    Notion Ink Adam
    HP Veer 4G
    voted by ipad and iphone users. no wonder

but then again read this especially comments

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/b...iew/#continued

positive. so i guess playbook sucked last year but now it is best ipad alternative.
    Last edited by bitek; 02-23-12 at 01:50 PM.
    02-23-12 01:46 PM
    positive. so i guess playbook sucked last year but now it is best ipad alternative.
    Well it had far less features and cost roughly 2x as much for most of the year. A drop of hundreds of dollars will always make it more positive...
    02-23-12 01:54 PM
    Well, it's a good thing I don't read Engadget then. :P
    02-23-12 04:13 PM
    And the bad votes were probably from people who never touched a PlayBook before LOL. iPad has a little hole for a speaker. LOL!!!! Pathetic!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-23-12 04:19 PM
    I have had my playbook for 3 weeks a day love it
    02-23-12 04:37 PM
    I think it's a little funny people here saying users of other platforms are sheep with a hate for rim. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black.

The new pb os is an improvement but it is far from perfect and still far less polished and usable than an iPad. The Android player is a laggy novelty and the calendar & contacts implementation is promising but still rough. There is a major app deficit with gaping holes where some major names are absent.

I want to love my Playbook but it's not there yet. It might not be the worst gadget of the year but it's given me more grief and frustration in 2011 than any of my other devices. I'm glad to see the improvements and hope they keep coming more frequently.

The conspiracy theories and laments on media bias are getting boring.
    kevinnugent and Skier1960 like this.
    02-23-12 04:47 PM
    Think of it this way...

If you bought a Ferrari, paid top dollar for it, and it had a governor that limited it to 60mph and other similar limitations... how would you have rated the vehicle?

Regardless what the potential of the vehicle had... how would you rate it?

Could you really be surprised? Would you look at other vehicles smoking you down the road, but still fall back and say... yeah well mine is a Ferrari. Really?
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-23-12 at 04:55 PM.
    Mikey_T and avt123 like this.
    02-23-12 04:50 PM
    The Playbook's criticism is deserved, if the device was shipped 10 months ago with the current OS (2.0) and cost $199 it probably would not have made the list.
    02-23-12 04:50 PM

Worst Gadget of 2011

BlackBerry PlayBook
    HP TouchPad
    Google Chromebook
    Jawbone Up
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Fusion Garage Grid10
    Notion Ink Adam
    HP Veer 4G
    Honestly I wouldnt sweat it for one second. There was an interesting article in yesterdays LA Times questioning the credibility of Silicone Valley tech blogs. It was very interesting read. IMHO all those online sources CNET, ENGADGET etc are a joke. If they were a printed publication they would be no better than the old Weekly World News. Heres a link to the article.

Credibility of Silicon Valley tech bloggers is at issue - latimes.com
    02-23-12 04:51 PM
    I think it's a little funny people here saying users of other platforms are sheep with a hate for rim. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black.

The new pb os is an improvement but it is far from perfect and still far less polished and usable than an iPad. The Android player is a laggy novelty and the calendar & contacts implementation is promising but still rough. There is a major app deficit with gaping holes where some major names are absent.

I want to love my Playbook but it's not there yet. It might not be the worst gadget of the year but it's given me more grief and frustration in 2011 than any of my other devices. I'm glad to see the improvements and hope they keep coming more frequently.

The conspiracy theories and laments on media bias are getting boring.
    You call iOS polished, I call it stale and boring. As for apps, check out my signature.

Playbook is already there and its only going to get better. Still has tons of potential and RIM is the only one innovating with their tablet.

If people say they don't like the playbook I find it hard to believe they've ever used one. I can see if it's not for them.

If you don't like the conspiracy stutt on media bias, I suggest you use the ignore function in the forums.
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    02-23-12 04:54 PM
120 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD