The PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10. More info is at the link. http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...aybook-1071018
    Last edited by blue_k; 03-15-12 at 03:26 AM.
    03-15-12 03:21 AM
    Unity ?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsy5_Y2tZ8[/YT]
    03-15-12 04:13 AM
    The PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10. More info is at the link. RIM confirms BB10 is coming to BlackBerry Playbook | News | TechRadar
    Undoubtedly good news as it shows RIM commitment to Playbook.

I guess I must be a "glass half empty" kind of guy though, as my immediate thoughts on reading: "At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks", was to recall the (in?)famous RIM statement back in October 2011 that "OS2 will be demonstrated at DevCon, and released thereafter"... and we know how that went.
    03-15-12 05:25 AM
    PlayBook OS is BB10. BB10 is PlayBook OS. The PlayBook is a testing ground for BB10 phones.

Most likely, the changes will be a OS 3 update for the PlayBook.
    XDrew42 likes this.
    03-15-12 06:48 AM
    Did everyone think they would call it something else? BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 is a terrible name. BB10 will be what their OS is called, similar to iOS for Apple devices. Its just a naming convention to keep everything uniform.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-15-12 07:09 AM
    BB10 has to bring email back to the NOC and find a way for a unifed BBM presence IMHO. I think BB10 will be a major update to PlayBook.
    03-15-12 09:36 AM
    Poor RIM, they made their tablet hardware last so long that my then 1.5 year old Playbook will be fresh and new again with BB10. I don't know how they're ever going to build loyalty like that... we should have to buy a new tablet every year. It just burns my bottom to think about it.
    hpjrt, jkomo001 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-15-12 09:46 AM
    BB10 has to bring email back to the NOC and find a way for a unifed BBM presence IMHO. I think BB10 will be a major update to PlayBook.
    For BES users e-mail still goes through the NOC
    03-15-12 09:51 AM
    Frustration with RIM will continue.
    Having read the link and paying close attention to the quoted words delivered by VP Orr I note that BB10 will apparently be released after the release of the first BB10 devices late in 2012. This is the opposite of what Orr indicates as quoted at the end of the post
    "But as we move into this new world of mobile computing, frequent updates and auto updates bring in new features and new functions – and that's the way forward. It's been really positive to see."
    I am a daily heavy user of my BB Playbook and appreciate what it does. I am also aware of it's deficits.
    This quote"At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks, yes." is in direct opposition to the quote above. Frequent updates are the way forward. 8 to 10 months between updates is neither frequent nor the way forward.
    I will argue that RIM needs to use it's installed base of playbooks to call attention to what will become available with BB10 with frequent and automatic updates starting immediately giving the company an ability to call attention to itself and build anticipation for the next generation of devices. Each rollout of a feature or upgrade is reason for blogs posts to be created and future phone users to take notice.
    The current OS is an example of the failure to frequently update. 8 to 10 months was a long time to wait. Much negative press resulted. Can RIM afford to suffer another equally long wait no matter how golden the OS treasure is at the other end of the rainbow?
    So according to VP Orr the idea of how great it would be for RIM to roll out regular updates is completely compromised by the announcement that it will be a long wait until Playbook is updated, essentially after the release of BB10 devices.
    03-15-12 04:40 PM
    Aka playbook tablet OS 3.
    03-16-12 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD