So how do I pay for this, or apps that are not free, if I have just a Playbook and no account hooked up to it? Is there some way I attach my credit card to an account or what?
    My Blackberry phone is just on a pre-paid account.
    08-18-12 09:28 AM
    I just wanted to let all you guys know that movies you rent or buy on your playbook are A). Standard definition only if you buy them, and b) cannot be viewed on anything other than your individual playbook. There is no way to license the movies for other devices (not even other playbooks), no way to play them on your home computer, and not even a web client to stream the movies when you're away from your playbook.
    Why won't it back up with the rest of your data? What format is the file?
    08-18-12 09:33 AM
    Sorry - do we get the video store from app world?
    Look for Video Store Canada in App World.
    08-18-12 09:35 AM
    I just wanted to let all you guys know that movies you rent or buy on your playbook are A). Standard definition only if you buy them, and b) cannot be viewed on anything other than your individual playbook. There is no way to license the movies for other devices (not even other playbooks), no way to play them on your home computer, and not even a web client to stream the movies when you're away from your playbook.

It's pretty much the worst deal in tech. The only use that I can see for the video store is renting movies occasionally for off line viewing on a plane or something. If The movie is good enough to buy, I'm still going for the DVD and ripping it to MP4. It's a way better deal for the money.

I was actually really hoping for a solution that would allow me to watch DRM-protected movies on my Playbook and other home devices. But alas, it's not to be.

If you do buy movies on your playbook, you'd better hope that it doesn't break, as all your movies will go down the toilet with it.
    A swing and a miss. *sigh*
    phylez likes this.
    08-19-12 12:43 PM
    OMG. What a horrid disappointment. Most of the movies on offer are old, low budget, 'B' movies that you'd find in the $2 bin at Walmart. The few acceptable movies are $20, but are old enough that you can pick up the BluRay for less. There are zero documentaries or educational TV shows. It's almost 100% mindless pablum. There are some shows that might appeal to some, but you'll be done in a week.

The final insult is that you can't delete it.

If you're happy with it, great. No problem here, I just want everyone to know the criticisms before they kiss goodbye to 3 or 4 MB of storage - forever.
    09-09-12 02:27 PM
    We also need to keep in mind that in Canada, we are governed by the rules outlined in the CRTC. It dictates what we can and cannot watch and ensures that there is a percentage of Canadian content. ...
    Do you think that the CRTC's CanCon rules apply to the Video Store app?

Do you think the the Video Store app has had to apply for a license from the CRTC?

Does the Video Store app's offered selection change between 6pm and midnight?

Are you confusing the direct real world impact of geographically based content licensing by the rights holders with government regulation?
    09-09-12 02:40 PM
    Both the PlayBook video store and Cinemanow are "powered by Rovio" and should therefore have the same selection. This isn't the case. If movies are available on one they should be on the other. No excuses.
    10-08-12 11:12 AM

It's pretty much the worst deal in tech. The only use that I can see for the video store is renting movies occasionally for off line viewing on a plane or something. If The movie is good enough to buy, I'm still going for the DVD and ripping it to MP4. It's a way better deal for the money.

I was actually really hoping for a solution that would allow me to watch DRM-protected movies on my Playbook and other home devices. But alas, it's not to be.

If you do buy movies on your playbook, you'd better hope that it doesn't break, as all your movies will go down the toilet with it.
    Are you absolutely sure that IF you purchase a movie you can't back it up via the Blackberry Desktop Mgr?
    ...As in it forever resides on the Playbook & you can't park the movie there IF you want to shoot a big Family video or something???
    ....If this is true this is very bad news for the direction RIM is headed.

I did watch "the preview" of the extended version of the Lord of the Ring's, Fellowship of the Ring & thought the video quality was EXCELLENT....
    ...There is no way RIM would pull such a stunt to offer a 4th rate video service ( i.e. one where the owner can't back up the movie they purchased in the BB Mgr ).
    ...Could RIM really have done this?
    10-08-12 10:36 PM
    I'm finding Video Store useful for TV shows I've missed. $2.49 is less than I pay for coffee.

I have tried out and sucessfully moved tv episodes back and forth from my PB to my computer. The files won't play on the computer, but they can be backed up there. It won't show up in DM under the Video sync screen, the files show up in the Files section. I cut and pasted the files into my computer, then to return them to my PB, same procedure. I notice they now show up on my PB only in the Video section and not in the Ready to Watch Library of the Video store. Under the video store they appear in purchases as "Ready to Download".
    10-09-12 11:24 AM
    I'm finding Video Store useful for TV shows I've missed. $2.49 is less than I pay for coffee.

I have tried out and sucessfully moved tv episodes back and forth from my PB to my computer. The files won't play on the computer, but they can be backed up there. It won't show up in DM under the Video sync screen, the files show up in the Files section. I cut and pasted the files into my computer, then to return them to my PB, same procedure. I notice they now show up on my PB only in the Video section and not in the Ready to Watch Library of the Video store. Under the video store they appear in purchases as "Ready to Download".
    Have you tested the video quality of rented material Vs purchased?
    ...I.E. are the purchased movies / t.v. shows of poor quality when compared to the same media purchaed via itunes?
    10-09-12 12:33 PM
    Have you tested the video quality of rented material Vs purchased?
    ...I.E. are the purchased movies / t.v. shows of poor quality when compared to the same media purchaed via itunes?
    I've only bought TV shows. Movies I only buy on Blu-Ray. Since you can't rent tv show episodes, I really can't compare.

The quality of the TV shows is pretty good. I have been watching them played back on my HDTV and they are at least as good or very close to the quality I pull off my digital satellite.

As for the quality compared to itunes, I can't say as I've never owned an Apple product.
    10-09-12 12:47 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD