07-20-11 08:44 PM
35 12
tools
    No matter how you dice it; the weirdness at RIM continues.

Delayed handsets

Prematurely launched Playbook

Open letters

Spats with developers and silly twitter fights

Executives bailing

Loss of market share and media just piling on about the disfunction

Rumours of Playbook cancellation

BlackBerry TV?

Co-CEO post given 6 month proving period

Just weird. Plain and simple... weird.
    And all of it points to the beginning (or mid-way point) of the end.
    07-19-11 09:20 PM
    RIMM reminds me of Sterling Cooper Draper Price when they lost Lucky Strike.... Can't wait for the new season by the way....
    07-19-11 09:50 PM
    For some reason, I smell another BGR "RIM Insider scoop" coming our way. Oh the air smells foul these days....

I think this is a good move for both. The main task of a Product Manager is to carry out the vision of the product, determine the product roadmap and ensure that subsequent progression and updates are on time and carried out with quality first and foremost. I'm a little surprised that with the amount of complaining here about promised updates that haven't materialized; anyone wouldn't see this as a good thing. This all depends on who the successive Product Manager is, obviously but whatever the case, the product was not evolving fast enough as several promised updates (native email, Android support, etc) have slipped as well as additions to the product line (3G Playbook) haven't emerged on time and most probably not on budget.

RIM is taking a beating on the Playbook (along with other non-related products like the new phones, mind you) but someone has to take the blame. I think this was a mutual decision as is normally the case in these situations. I've seen other Product Managers go in other organizations and the normal progression is togo into Marketing. The ship is not sinking; its just a normal course of business in my opinion.

I guess nobody but RIM and him will know the truth. To me, it's not a bad thing.
    07-19-11 10:49 PM
    Well something is bad wrong at rim. You dont have to be a fortune teller to figure it out. When the playbook is in the sad state it is in and RIM just cant seem to do any better?

My hunch is that they see no future in RIM under the current circumstances.

I fear that you are correct. Between all the open letters, Playbook issues and not really come out with any new BB's in quite some time, I would say that there are some pretty serious problems at RIM. I was feeling a bit better when the PlayBook first came out, but now being three months into it and not seeing much of a sign of them living up to the pormised features, it is very concerning.
    07-19-11 10:58 PM
    Nope RATS are still there at the helm.....
    Exactly.... Narcism rats who are cleaving on there chairs (governing- and management board)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 02:51 AM
    Oh well... There'll be more who join in on RIM's playbook developing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 04:22 AM
    Mutiny!!!!
    07-20-11 09:30 AM
    RIM is in a position where they are now going to bring members of acquired companies into executive roles at RIM...

Some of the people will be from the QNX team....Whom I feel is much more qualified to serve as product and project managers then some of the current execs at RIM...this is one example of shakeup's at the executive level at RIM.....QNX holds great potential and I feel Mr Biden will be replaced with someone much more in tuned with the new platform moving forward....

Expect to see many changes of the executive structure at RIM moving forward through transition....

RIM has acquired some of the best companies in software and with that some of the best minds as well.........It's time to place these people into upper management and roles at the executive level

Some not all of current execs and managers may realize they may be replaced or there will be no room for advancement through a career path they seek as much more talented people fill these roles
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 07-20-11 at 08:16 PM.
    07-20-11 07:58 PM
    ok I sit here and read about how bad the management is at RIM and when someone leaves everyone wrings their hands and whines about people abandoning a sinking ship. I say another piece of the puzzle solved in the new direction RIM needs to take. New blood fresh ideas make for success. I say goodbye lets see what the new guy can do! If it ain't broke don't fix it. However right now it's broke fix it!
    07-20-11 08:23 PM
    RIM is in a position where they are now going to bring members of acquired companies into executive roles at RIM...

Some of the people will be from the QNX team....Whom I feel is much more qualified to serve as product and project managers then some of the current execs at RIM...this is one example of shakeup's at the executive level at RIM.....QNX holds great potential and I feel Mr Biden will be replaced with someone much more in tuned with the new platform moving forward....

Expect to see many changes of the executive structure at RIM moving forward through transition....

RIM has acquired some of the best companies in software and with that some of the best minds as well.........It's time to place these people into upper management and roles at the executive level

Some not all of current execs and managers may realize they may be replaced or there will be no room for advancement through a career path they seek as much more talented people fill these roles
    This may or may not happen. The folks from the acquired companies might not fit into RIM's corporate culture.

That is what happened when Microsoft acquired Danger.

For at least some former Danger employees, the acquisition was exciting news. The company kept its office in Palo Alto, and the hope among the Danger ranks was that Microsoft would use its vast resources to help the device expand into the mass market.

But they said they quickly realized that Microsoft bought the Sidekick team to put to work on its smartphone project, the Kin, and that the work cultures and environment were different.

Microsoft executives repeatedly told members of the Danger team that they would have access to a "pantry of Microsoft software," some former employees said. But it took five hours to build experimental features instead of the five minutes it used to, slowing innovation to a crawl, said Zimmerman, the former Danger manager.

The renegade culture of a startup clashed with the corporate culture of Microsoft. In one example, a Microsoft manager sent emails that ended with "BOOYAH" in giant type, Zimmerman and another former Danger employee said.

Microsoft managers set up an underground Twitter hashtag #TMDP, which stood for "truly, madly, deeply," a former Danger employee said. To some Danger employees, Microsoft seemed like Phil, the dad on "Modern Family" always trying a little too hard to be cool around his kids.

Some former Danger employees remember rampant mocking of Microsoft corporate speak during meetings -- via instant messaging on their Sidekicks, of course.
    From this article Microsoft Pri0 | What the death of Sidekick means for Microsoft and Skype | Seattle Times Newspaper
    07-20-11 08:44 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD