The article doesn't say that playbook sales increased in those stores during that week, does it?
    Does it matter?

Humorous sidenote: It's well-known that the best-selling iPad 2 model is the 64gb 3G model, selling for $829 US. Oddly, Bestbuy.ca is sold out of 64gb 3G models, and FutureShop.ca sold out of the white 64gb 3G model with only the black available.

Using Occam's Razor, which is more likely:

1 - iPad sales were negatively impacted when retailers intentionally ran out of the most popular models in advance of a highly-anticipated replacement model

-or-

2 - This is the first sign of a total change in the tablet market, with a reversal of fortunes for the iPad and Playbook

Apple's 64GB 3G iPad 2 continues to dominate tablet sales - IT News from V3.co.uk

Search Results - Best Buy Canada

iPad: Apple iPad, Apple Tablet Computer - Future Shop
    Not sure where those 'facts' came from, but I'd like to challenge this assumption:
    Apple's next iPad may be a 4G game changer - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - Computers - msnbc.com

I'll save you a bit of time. The key point in this article (which is otherwise full of inconsistencies):
    Until now, Apple's fan legion has been reluctant to shell out extra money even for iPads with 3G connections. The cheaper Wi-Fi-only model � with more limited Web access � is by far the top-selling one today.
    Nor am I sure what the point of the rest of this post is, but nonetheless let's not base arguments -- even pointless ones -- on false assumptions.
    03-07-12 06:40 AM
    Not sure where those 'facts' came from
    Er, from the links below the post... <G>

nonetheless let's not base arguments -- even pointless ones -- on false assumptions.
    Right, I wouldn't make that mistake. That would be like making an Extrapolation Error from a cherry-picked week of sales ...

My biggest disappointment in this thread? That one of the level-headed blackberry faithful haven't weighed in and said "Guys, you know we're blowing a minor data blip in a Tweet up into much more than what it is, and that just makes us look silly".

Where are you folks?

As you stated, the MSNBC article is "full of inconsistencies". They break with all the other commenters on this topic, and state the opposite conclusion of the other sources. We know the average iPad selling price is about $670, which guts MSNBC's claim.
    Last edited by Palmless; 03-07-12 at 08:43 AM.
    03-07-12 08:38 AM
    First off, I cannot open that suppposedly factual link; but it appears to be from the UK. Not what I would call representative of global sales. Everything I've seen says that the top of the line 64GB 3G is the best selling iPad, followed closely by the bottom of the line 16GB wi-fi only model.read into that whatever you will.

But hey, when a product that typically sells a fraction of the numbers of the market leader suddenly outsells that market leader, for whatever reason, no matter where, no matter how briefly, it's something to get a little excited about. You obviously would not understand that, judging by your continuing need to come in here and pi$$ on it. So pardon us all to he11 for taking a small bit of joy from some much-needed positive news.
    03-07-12 10:45 AM
    Dirt cheap price, iPad 3 coming. Hmmmm...... DUH! Anyhow, whatever helps people feel better about buying a playbook. What's RIM stock today?
    03-07-12 01:19 PM
    The Playbook 2.0 is the best tablet value out there period! .. and that is even after Ipad 3, IMO! .... just sayin ..... just try it out!
    Way to be objective there. Better than a device not even released. Maybe you should take your own advise.... "just try it out".
    03-07-12 01:21 PM
    Oh dear. Think iPad 3 has just pi$$*d on the Playbook. Which is a shame as I do think the Playbook is the only decent piece of kit out there and way better than any piece of Android tat.
    It took a big fat dump on the playbook.
    03-07-12 01:22 PM
    First off, I cannot open that suppposedly factual link; but it appears to be from the UK. Not what I would call representative of global sales.
    Sorry, the UK link referred to world-wide sales. When you critiqued it, I didn't assume you had not opened it. Here's US reporting of the same information.

Most Popular iPad 2 Model Is Also the Most Expensive &mdash; Apple News, Tips and Reviews

Everything I've seen says that the top of the line 64GB 3G is the best selling iPad, followed closely by the bottom of the line 16GB wi-fi only model.
    Yes... thus, the fact that the most popular model is out of stock at the two stores seems to provide needed context to the tweet... perhaps not.
    03-07-12 01:23 PM
    Can't anyone make an educated guess even? Or am I being ignored?

Even if BlackBerry is selling playbooks,....are they actually making money on them? What does a slight bump in sales for a product that was previously flatlined mean? What does an increase in sales mean in light of the half-billion $$ write-down?

If anyone has answers, I'd appreciate your insight.
    03-07-12 02:15 PM
    Go RIM!

I wonder if the general public even has any idea about an ipad3 coming out. No one even knows what apples gonna annouce. Could be apple tv.

I still can't believe how much BS has been 'reported' about RIM. About a half a year ago it was said that RIM was going to discontinue the playbook and now they are the top tablet at Future shop and Best buy in canada, as far as I know the two biggest electronic retailesr in Canada. Its shameful.
    Well since the NY Times and CNBC both have live blogs/updates about the announcement today I'd say they think some people care (not me though).

They were the top seller, in TWO retailers, in ONE COUNTRY, for ONE WEEK while the previous best sellers were not available and a new replacement product was about to be announced. That is great, but most companies wouldn't even note something so trivial. Good for RIMM at least they are trying to generate some buzz now, they just need more ammo to work with. Last week at my indoor soccer match, I was the leading scorer in the entire facility for the entire night, maybe even an entire week, yet Manchester United has not rung me up yet.

I personally don't care, but the retina display, quad core chip and LTE can't be good for PB. FWIW RIMM fell another 2.00% immediately after the Apple "event" started and the iPad remodel specs were announced.
    03-07-12 02:22 PM
    Last week at my indoor soccer match, I was the leading scorer in the entire facility for the entire night, maybe even an entire week, yet Manchester United has not rung me up yet.
    I lol'd at this. Funny stuff here.
    03-07-12 02:27 PM
    Can't anyone make an educated guess even? Or am I being ignored?
    This is a GUESS. These Playbook sales are somewhere between $20 above and $50 below cost, depending on who you believe.
    03-07-12 02:48 PM
    I lol'd at this. Funny stuff here.
    Yeah hoping for another 5 goal night and a call from Sir Alex. Unlikely on both fronts and it sure was expensive buying beers after last weeks game.
    03-07-12 02:50 PM
    Thank you, Palmless. So,....the answer is effectively no, in the best-case scenario.
    03-07-12 02:56 PM
    If these stores in Canada during the week February 26 to March 2 (which is what we are discussing) sold the same number of PBs as they had in the previous weeks, but less of other tablets, it's not "news" that they are selling many playbooks. The news would be that sales of other tablets dropped during that week for some reason.
    HAhahahh zooommgg you're awesome Palmless. The news is that PB was the #1 seller @ these retailers. That requires selling more units than the competitors (I like to call this MANY units). Your deductions are strange. It's news according to BestBuy/FutureShop who released those sales #'s. Sounds like it's news to you as well!

The article doesn't say that playbook sales increased in those stores during that week, does it?
    Nope it doesn't say that.... you're toootally right.... PlayBook sales actually decreased next to nothing the week they were #1. RIM sold 0 playbooks, and managed to top sales above all other tablets that week. Mmmmhhhhhhmmmm..... riiiiight, gotcha. I'm on board with your analysis now.

Love your brilliant analysis Palmless.

03-07-12 04:28 PM
    Even if BlackBerry is selling playbooks,....are they actually making money on them? What does a slight bump in sales for a product that was previously flatlined mean? What does an increase in sales mean in light of the half-billion $$ write-down?

If anyone has answers, I'd appreciate your insight.

Just to give you some feedback you don't have to make money or break even on hardware sales to make money or to be profitable.

MS lost money on every XBOX 360 sold. They did this to make them cheaper then the ps3. What this did for them was gain market share at a faster rate then the ps3 as parents and consumers when for the cheaper option with similar specs. They made up the loss on the hardware sales with strong software sales and accessories along with movie and games purchases from xbox live as well as other DLC. Even after the RROD warranty repair costs the XBOX division is profitable and the number 1 console for HD gaming.

If you can price your product so that it gains sales and offset the loss by fees charged in appworld and make money on the accessories then its a win.. The more devices you have out there, the better the revenue stream.

Apple is is a unique position where they can make money on their hardware as people at the moment will buy anything with an apple logo in it, but this is changing.. Samsung is proving a much stronger competitor then first thought.

Figured i would fill you in.
    sleepngbear and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-07-12 04:52 PM
    HAhahahh zooommgg you're awesome Palmless. The news is that PB was the #1 seller @ these retailers. That requires selling more units than the competitors (I like to call this MANY units). Your deductions are strange. It's news according to BestBuy/FutureShop who released those sales #'s. Sounds like it's news to you as well!

Nope it doesn't say that.... you're toootally right.... PlayBook sales actually decreased next to nothing the week they were #1. RIM sold 0 playbooks, and managed to top sales above all other tablets that week. Mmmmhhhhhhmmmm..... riiiiight, gotcha. I'm on board with your analysis now.

Love your brilliant analysis Palmless.

I'm sorry if you didn't see what I am saying. It's really simple if you remove emotion and just consider what we were told... in one country, two stores sold more Playbooks last week than other tablets. Obviously, for the first time, or it would not have been news.

Let's look at these theoretical sales numbers. Add 1, 2, or 10 zeros to the units, it doesn't matter if we are talking about 2 units or 2,000 units.

Week--------iPad---------Playbook
    ---1------------3------------2
    ---2------------3------------2
    ---3------------3------------2
    ---4------------3------------2
    ---5------------3------------2
    ---6------------3------------2
    ---7------------3------------2
    ---8------------3------------2
    ---9------------1------------2 RIM FTW

The tweet goes out... Playbook was number one in week nine.

It is speculation with no basis to assume that Playbook sales increased.

What was special about last week except... the new iPad was coming, and according to the stores own websites, they were sold out of the most popular iPads. Obviously, iPad sales decreased as expected. Playbook sales did not need to increase to be the top seller.

It would be helpful to know if you truly disagree, or if my point is too obscure, then we can have an honest debate about "What it all means".

Can we not simply agree that nothing in the wonderful tweet indicated that Playbook sales increased?

Michael Vick threw more touchdowns than Peyton Manning for the first time ever in 2011. So certainly, Michael Vick improved in 2011 right... right??? <G>
    Last edited by Palmless; 03-07-12 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Corrected title
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-07-12 05:03 PM
    I have no emotions

I could honestly care less if sales increased "THAT WEEK". This dialogue started on this note:

The good news out of this, is that they are moving many units!
    To which you replied:

The article doesn't actually say that...
    To be #1, irregardless of iPad2s coming out & decreasing their own sales on the iPad2 - PlayBook had to have been moving.... many units as I said, and you disagree? Which means you believe they are not moving many units to be #1? Weird.

Your mission to challenge the accuracy of the thread title vs. the article wording and the facts actually released is fine - though... why? Sure - PlayBook sales may not have actually INCREASED that week - but do you really believe that? While it's not safe to ever ASSUME anything, and I encourage that reasoning anytime - exept when corroborating evidence stacks up in favour of the conclusion.

OS 2.0 dropped 1.5wks before that article. So this is a very safe asumption IMO - Yes - PlayBook Sales increased that week.
    03-07-12 06:14 PM
    Your mission to challenge the accuracy of the thread title vs. the article wording and the facts actually released is fine - though... why? Sure - PlayBook sales may not have actually INCREASED that week - but do you really believe that? While it's not safe to ever ASSUME anything, and I encourage that reasoning anytime - exept when corroborating evidence (note: of which none has been presented, only inferred) stacks up in favour of the conclusion.

OS 2.0 dropped 1.5wks before that article. So this is a very safe asumption IMO - Yes - PlayBook Sales increased that week.
    OK, it appears to you to be a very safe assumption, to me to be an outlandishly rash and foolish assumption that flies in the face of everything we know, so we disagree. Disagreeing is fine!

I'm sure we'll see another tweet next week, if you're correct the sales should continue to climb. And March 29 we'll see if they impacted total units for RIMM.
    Last edited by Palmless; 03-07-12 at 07:52 PM.
    03-07-12 07:50 PM
    Os 2.0 dropping was only inferred? Riiiiight. Pretty sure it was released
    03-07-12 09:07 PM
    To be precise, the story is:

"Research in Motion Ltd. said its PlayBook tablet computer outsold Apple's iPad last week at a number of Canadian retailers."

That is hardly the same as being the best selling tablet, nor does it mean it outsold the iPad or anything else. It is (pretty much) the equivalent of saying you are the world champion at fishing because you found a couple of fish in a tidal pool. People seem to be wearing the extra-strength rose colored glasses at the moment....
    Actually you are incorrect PlayBook WAS the top selling tablet at both Best Buys and Futureshop in Canada last month. It outsold all other tablets.
    03-07-12 09:31 PM
    Children children children. everyone go to their rooms now.

Can we get a mod to lock this thread? It's spiralled out of control. I was simply trying to spread a little positive news for a change.
    Last edited by CDM76; 03-07-12 at 11:33 PM.
    03-07-12 11:31 PM
    Children children children. everyone go to their rooms now.

Can we get a mod to lock this thread? It's spiralled out of control. I was simply trying to spread a little positive news for a change.
    You can report your own post to have it closed. I did that too with one of mine which turned into a flood of personal attacks towards me last year.
    03-08-12 03:18 AM
    Oh the horror! PlayBook had a positive. Let's all jump on it and wiz in the fans Wheaties.

Dang impetuous kids
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-08-12 06:05 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD