PlayBooks outsold iPads last week - Technology & Science - CBC News

PlayBook sales outsell iPad last week. Celebrate the small victories to create big victories.
    Chrisy, Cracklen, Jake2826 and 2 others like this.
    03-05-12 10:17 PM
    PlayBooks outsold iPads last week - Technology & Science - CBC News

PlayBook sales outsell iPad last week. Celebrate the small victories to create big victories.
    hmm...I wonder if it ever occured to to them that the real reason why they sold more PB's than ipad's last week would have something to do with the fact that most people are probably just waiting for the ipad 3.
    Doc Z, Gouk and scorpiodsu like this.
    03-05-12 10:34 PM
    No need to try to figure out a reason to deny the PB its bit of good news. They did very well and that is good for consumers.
    The Playbook has awesome specs, better than the iPad2, and with OS2 and a price tag that is less than half of the iPad2, it is a great deal for consumers.
    Unless you are stuck on paying for the label, the Playbook is the best deal out there. I don't know if it is the best tablet out there, I sure like mine, but at this price it is by far the best deal for a great many people.
    That is what the sales report is showing. Not that it is an iPad or Droid killer. Just that it is a great deal and people are taking notice. This is good news for BlackBerry.
    03-05-12 10:47 PM
    hmm...I wonder if it ever occured to to them that the real reason why they sold more PB's than ipad's last week would have something to do with the fact that most people are probably just waiting for the ipad 3.
    I'm certain RIM is aware of the role of the iPad 3, but providing context reduces the value of the headline.
    03-05-12 11:06 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The Playbook 2.0 is the best tablet value out there period! .. and that is even after Ipad 3, IMO! .... just sayin ..... just try it out!
    DJBS4LIFE and recompile like this.
    03-05-12 11:08 PM
    It's worth noting that "PlayBook was the No. 1 selling tablet computer last week" which means not only iPad but every Android tablet as well.

Time to move beyond the iPad centric universe.
    03-05-12 11:16 PM
    It's worth noting that "PlayBook was the No. 1 selling tablet computer last week" which means not only iPad but every Android tablet as well.

Didn't you get the bulletin? They discovered the centre of the universe is a big ball of iCrap.
    scott.slater, Dapper37 and kemj like this.
    03-05-12 11:39 PM
    Thank you!
    03-06-12 12:37 AM
    I tweeted the PlayBook sales and all my buddies with ipads said exactly what you just did.. It's hilarious.. We're not stupid we know people are waiting to see but at the same time in over a year playbook has not sold more than other tablets so common give it a little bit of credit
    03-06-12 12:37 AM
    I tweeted the PlayBook sales and all my buddies with ipads said exactly what you just did.. It's hilarious.. We're not stupid we know people are waiting to see but at the same time in over a year playbook has not sold more than other tablets so common give it a little bit of credit
    Don't get me wrong...I actually hope the PB does well and I DO prefer to carry my PB over my ipad and I do think the PB is superior in terms of size, sharpness of screen, multitasking, etc. etc. but I think there are too many people on here wearing rose colored glasses because whether we like it or not RIM is losing market share - I was down in the States last week and it was very very difficult to find any Playbook accessories, chargers or even the PB itself. Most places I went to basically were saying RIM has dug their own grave and BB products are all junk - sadly, with that kind of attitude from front line sales people I don't think RIM will be around in it's present form for long.
    03-06-12 01:07 AM
    I'm certain RIM is aware of the role of the iPad 3, but providing context reduces the value of the headline.
    If PB was considered as a dust collector or paperweight, then it won't sell.
    If people were waiting for ipad3 well ... they won't buy anything else !
    The world is not built around ipadx.

(Private joke : back to normal ... I liked a post of you last week ...)
    Gouk, jkomo001, kemj and 3 others like this.
    03-06-12 01:21 AM
    Why do you feel obligated to point out "the truth" about RIM? Since this is a BB fan-site, why does it matter to you that we are happily wearing our rose-colored glasses and spouting gospels about BB, PB and RIM?
    03-06-12 01:36 AM
    Why do you feel obligated to point out "the truth" about RIM? Since this is a BB fan-site, why does it matter to you that we are happily wearing our rose-colored glasses and spouting gospels about BB, PB and RIM?
    It doesn't matter to me at all - Keep your rose colored glasses on. ;-)
    03-06-12 02:19 AM
    Irrelevant when the iPad 3 is around the corner and Playbook prices are slashed once again.
    03-06-12 02:22 AM
    The people that come to CB and spout ip3 to the site, need to get a life. What a sad bunch. What no girlfriends?
    CDM76, jkomo001 and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-06-12 02:30 AM
    Irrelevant when the iPad 3 is around the corner and Playbook prices are slashed once again.
    No it's not irrelevant. It must be understood in context, the ipad3 phenomena would only change the global amount of sales if this was the point (in a 1 month or so perspective, people would wait, not buy another).
    The prices are not slashed again, they have been slashed for months now; what we can see there is that this marketing strategy is starting to pay back, gaining numbers. Anyone in the business knows this basic principle : "When you sell 10, you'll sell 20 more due to word by mouth".

While needed at first, this low price strategy is going to pay for RIM. This is what I read here.
    Being #1, #2 or #3 is not a big matter to me.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-06-12 at 02:38 AM.
    03-06-12 02:36 AM
    To be precise, the story is:

"Research in Motion Ltd. said its PlayBook tablet computer outsold Apple's iPad last week at a number of Canadian retailers."

That is hardly the same as being the best selling tablet, nor does it mean it outsold the iPad or anything else. It is (pretty much) the equivalent of saying you are the world champion at fishing because you found a couple of fish in a tidal pool. People seem to be wearing the extra-strength rose colored glasses at the moment....
    03-06-12 02:42 AM
    It doesn't matter to me at all - Keep your rose colored glasses on. ;-)
    Lol. Thanks. ;-)
    03-06-12 02:53 AM
    To be precise, the tweet that started it all, from Alec Saunders is:

Alec Saunders‏@asaunders

"WOW! BlackBerry PlayBook takes the #1 selling tablet slot at Future Shop and Best Buy crackberry.com/blackberry-pla..."

That is the same thing as saying the best selling tablet and it does mean it outsold the iPad and everything else.
    03-06-12 02:56 AM
    Quote: DocZ
    ------

I thought the Ipad3 was launched on March 5th, or did they miss the target?
    Last edited by graxyq; 03-06-12 at 04:21 AM.
    03-06-12 04:11 AM
    Even considering the massive reduction in price and the iPad 3 announcement tomorrow, this is still an accomplishment for RIM. It may not be the results they have been looking for, but this is good news.

EDIT: Add Content

Just saw this.
    "Research in Motion Ltd. said its PlayBook tablet computer outsold Apple's iPad last week at a number of Canadian retailers"

Very, very misleading title.
    Last edited by brucep1; 03-06-12 at 07:41 AM.
    03-06-12 07:00 AM
    To be precise, the story is:

"Research in Motion Ltd. said its PlayBook tablet computer outsold Apple's iPad last week at a number of Canadian retailers."

That is hardly the same as being the best selling tablet, nor does it mean it outsold the iPad or anything else. It is (pretty much) the equivalent of saying you are the world champion at fishing because you found a couple of fish in a tidal pool. People seem to be wearing the extra-strength rose colored glasses at the moment....
    Thanks for posting that. It is great that RIMM TOLD US the PB outsold the iPad at A NUMBER of CANADIAN retailers. This is good news, but does not mean the PB actually outsold the iPad last week in any wider universe. I am sure it wasn't actually the number 1 selling tablet last week in the US, World or anywhere else beyond the Canadian borders. I am also pretty sure that at A NUMBER of other Canadian retailers, the iPad outsold the PB. Wonder if it actually out sold the PB in Canada itself? RIMM isn't even making that claim. Again, great ii did what it did, but please don't take it out of context as so many posters here have done. it is what it is, not what you want to say it is.
    03-06-12 07:36 AM
    The people that come to CB and spout ip3 to the site, need to get a life. What a sad bunch. What no girlfriends?
    Ipad owners don't need real girlfriends.....they have a girlfriend app for that
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-06-12 11:54 AM
    Nothing big but still good news for RIM. Nice to see that Apples do fall from the tree.
    03-06-12 12:07 PM
    Thread title indicates that Playbook sales are up, does it say that in the article?
    Last edited by Palmless; 03-06-12 at 12:45 PM.
    03-06-12 12:38 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD