Its taking a bit longer that way than I think we had time for to release with 2.0., Saunders said, referring to last weeks PlayBook upgrade. It will definitely happen by the time we ship the BlackBerry 10 product.

TheRecord - PlayBook to get BBM messaging program later this year
    02-29-12 09:47 AM
    "[B]y the time we ship" =\= "BBM to arrive with BB 10," which makes the thread title misleading; it reads to me like their giving a worst case scenario here, not an expectation of a particular delivery schedule
    02-29-12 09:58 AM
    i think they can be telling the truth.. imagine all those blackberry handset that they had to upgrade just for the playbook 2.0, now things should be moving pretty quickly for them.
    02-29-12 10:01 AM
    "[B]y the time we ship" =\= "BBM to arrive with BB 10," which makes the thread title misleading; it reads to me like their giving a worst case scenario here, not an expectation of a particular delivery schedule
    Really I don't read it like that at all. My take is Alec is saying don't expect on the Playbook until the phones are released.
    02-29-12 10:42 AM
    It's already March

September-ish will be here soon enough.
    02-29-12 11:03 AM
    BBM on the PB will be nice. Now give me a real bridged SMS - and not that faux message emailer crap.
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-29-12 11:47 AM
    I read it to mean that there's no way BB10 will release without BBM. Which is logical because if BB10 has it, then the PB will. But the statement is open ended, alluding that it's entirely possible that BBM can/may/could be available before then. Just no guarantees. BB10 will wait on BBM, but BBM won't be waiting on BB10.
    02-29-12 11:58 AM
    Really I don't read it like that at all. My take is Alec is saying don't expect on the Playbook until the phones are released.
    Except he doesn't say "BBM will not be released until BB10 is ready," but in fact says that BBM will be released "by" the time BB10 is released. If the message were "don't expect BBM until BB10" I'd expect him to say something like "BB10 will include a PlayBook update that will enable BBM" or something similar.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-29-12 01:05 PM
    Except he doesn't say "BBM will not be released until BB10 is ready," but in fact says that BBM will be released "by" the time BB10 is released. If the message were "don't expect BBM until BB10" I'd expect him to say something like "BB10 will include a PlayBook update that will enable BBM" or something similar.
    Hey we are just reading it differently. I do think you might be looking into the semantics a little bit too much for a 3 sentence interview.
    02-29-12 01:24 PM
    Wouldn't bbm on the playbook be awesome for video chatting too? I can't wait! But but... They'll have duplicate contacts... Or will it be integrated as one contact? I should hope so. Can't wait!
    02-29-12 01:25 PM
    Wouldn't bbm on the playbook be awesome for video chatting too? I can't wait! But but... They'll have duplicate contacts... Or will it be integrated as one contact? I should hope so. Can't wait!
    i'm pretty sure the brains at RIM are thinking the exact same thing.
    02-29-12 01:29 PM
    I have been interested in how this will all play out. In theory, allowing BBM on the Playbook would allow one to have a BlackBerry presence without paying the monthly fee to RIM for use of the servers. ActiveSync allowed Playbook to work around the servers for email but BBM is another story. I am also curious how they resolve having 2 devices but one BBM presence - if it will be possible to do so. I understand the delay I am sure there is a lot to work out.
    02-29-12 07:44 PM
    It's already March

September-ish will be here soon enough.
    Umm no, it's Feb 29th :^D
    02-29-12 08:19 PM
    IMO
    the reason why BBM isnt on the PB now is the double lists. they COULD give us BBM on the PB right now but they would generate two contact lists for everyone. You would have your PB-BBM PIN and your reg BBM-PIN. they are making it so you can use your BBM PIN on your PB. once they know 100% that it works that way is when we will see BBM on the PB. it doesn't have to do with BB10 or not.
    03-03-12 03:53 AM
    My thoughts:

-I'd like to see the PB sync w/the handset....maybe even wirelessly.

I'm a MS Outlook user. I don't use a server...just a "Joe lunchbox" guy. It would be cool for the PB and the BB10 handsets to be "paired" together, but with native functions....email, BBM, calendar, contacts, etc......
    Sync the handset w/whatever calendar/contact management /email of choice (gmail/outlook, etc..)
    Then PB and handset sync wirelessly...
    Just a thought
    03-03-12 07:53 AM
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... BBM on my PlayBook... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
    03-06-12 03:15 PM
    BBM is tied to a dataplan. So if you buy the 4G PB and a dataplan, you deserve to get BBM.
    The real question is " will wifi only PBs get BBM?". I believe the answer will always be "no"

I hope that I am wrong, but I can't see them giving the crown jewels away for nothing.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-11-12 01:47 AM
    BBM is tied to a dataplan. So if you buy the 4G PB and a dataplan, you deserve to get BBM.
    The real question is " will wifi only PBs get BBM?". I believe the answer will always be "no"

I hope that I am wrong, but I can't see them giving the crown jewels away for nothing.
    BBM is not tied to your data plan. It is tied to your device pin. I believe that is the reason why it's not here yet. I would bet they pretty much have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch to be able use BBID over multiple devices.
    03-11-12 09:27 AM
    Does that mean I'll be able to use BBM on PlayBook as I don't have a BBM phone and won't be getting one for a year and a half?
    08-30-12 12:39 PM
    If you have a Wi-Fi only version, you'll have to wait and see. But others in this thread indicate that it probably will not work without a BlackBerry Data Plan - either thru your Bridged BlackBerry Phone, or IF you Playbook has a cellular radio (4G Version).

Really have to wait and see...
    08-30-12 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD