View Poll Results: Would you fund a PlayBook 2.0?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - 7inch Form Factor

14 46.67%
  • Yes - 10inch Form Factor

9 30.00%
  • Hell No!

11 36.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I like the new Nexus 7, shame it doesn't come in 64GB or with a micro SD slot, plus I'm not big on Android and Google profiling everything I do.
    MS Surface 2, perfect hardware, don't like Window's 8.1. Would be perfect if it ran QNX.
    Apple I Pads... I'll pass.
    Tegra Note, tempting, shame about the resolution, runs Android Jelly Bean 4.2. Don't like the multi-plastic rear.

What I really want is a tablet that can go head to head with the tablets mentioned and runs BB10. I want security, I want a high res display, I want a tablet that will keep up with me for a couple of years (as did my playbook).

I'm proposing a kickstarter venture, we Blackberry owners that want a new PlayBook, fund the hardware side and get Blackberry to commit to providing the OS. Its a tablet designed and funded by the people.

The proposal with specs below:

7 inch form factor
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor / MediaTek MT6592 (I'm leaning towards the 805)
    1920 x 1200 IPS display 323ppi accurate colour representation (LCD / AMOLED)
    2GB RAM minimum (3GB?)
    Samsung e-MMC Pro memory chip (internal memory, avail 16, 32, 64 GB)
    USB 3.0 Micro B connector (fast data transfer rates)
    Micro HDMI 2.0
    Micro SD Card (64GB Class 10)
    LTE (Optional)
    Low Power BlueTooth
    Front facing speakers with bass port
    Qi Charging standard
    Ability for the tablet to sync bookmarks, contacts, pictures, video, music with phones over Wi-Fi without need to connect through Link.

10.5 inch form factor:
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor / AMD mobile APU
    1920 x 1200 IPS display 323ppi accurate colour representation (LCD / AMOLED) +
    2GB RAM minimum (4GB?)
    Samsung e-MMC Pro memory chip (internal memory, avail 16, 32, 64 GB)
    USB 3.0 Micro B connector (fast data transfer rates)
    Micro HDMI 2.0
    Micro SD Card (64GB Class 10)
    LTE (Optional)
    Low Power BlueTooth
    Front facing speakers with bass port
    Qi charging standard
    Snap in keyboard?
    Ability for the tablet to sync bookmarks, contacts, pictures, video, music with phones over Wi-Fi without need to connect through Link.
    11-25-13 12:27 PM
    Where do I sign up?
    11-25-13 12:56 PM
    Where do I sign up?
    Rich, when you're done with that, you might want to have someone look at the calculation algorithm used for the poll because unless this is that "new math" I don't think this is right

PlayBook 2.0 Crowd Funded-poll.png
    11-25-13 01:01 PM
    I would like to see a BB10 tablet that utilizes distributed multiprocessing with a BlackBerry 10 super phone.

Sharing resources at the hardware level between devices would make for a sweet experience.

Posted via CB10
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    11-25-13 01:05 PM
    OP you need to get in touch with the folks over in the "I support BBRY thread", they seem to be willing to give away money for the "cause".

Unfortunately right now Thor is right, BlackBerry has no business in the Tablet market. It's all about being a consumption device - Books, Magazines, TV, Movies and Apps.... things that BlackBerry can not reasonable offer in their store.

As for your specs, they are impressive... I'm sure BlackBerry (or anyone) could build such devices, it's a matter of what they could sell for. Right now the $200 - $300 is the sweet spot for 7" tablets and $300 - $600 of 10"... afraid your devices would blow both of these projected price points.

If they can find their niche in enterprise for smartphones... then they will need to also offer enterprise a tablet option. Think we are still a copule of years away for a "smart display", so a moderate speced BlackBerry Tablet may be possible. Think that the PlayBook name has been retired along side the STORM....
    11-25-13 01:30 PM
    Hi , thanks for your replies.
    Rich, if all goes well, I'll let you know exactly where the dotted line is!

Scalemaster34, true the tablet market is all about consumption, and unless there is an Enterprise angle (Surface 2 / Pro) I don't expect Blackberry to be releasing another tablet anytime soon. But this 'venture' isn't meant as a general public release, it is a community funded project. Those of us who want a tablet running BB10, pay for the hardware side, Blackberry provide the OS with minor tweaks to drivers. The hardware side doesn't cost them, and any news coverage is good, right?
    I wasn't exactly downloading videos from Appworld on to my PlayBook, I ripped DVD's and BluRays then transferred them to my PlayBook, read .pdf's and browsed the web. So having tablet with the above specs, running QNX (BB10) would enable me to watch those HD videos in all their glory. I'm not relying on Blackberry to provide all the content, I don't think they can with Google and Apple having grabbed most of that market.

This is about critical mass, if enough people 'pledge' funds to cover the cost of hardware the tablets can be produced. Will Blackberry provide BB10? Waiting to hear back from them.

In order to keep costs down, what would you sacrifice?
    Go with the cheaper processor
    Kill the Qi charging
    Stick with 16GB internal memory
    High density LCD display over AMOLED
    No bass port
    Plastic body with metal skeletal reinforcement (Z10?), soft touch?
    11-25-13 03:26 PM
    Just out of curiosity, for the device as you originally specced, how much funding do you imagine would need to be raised? Once those funds are raised how would contracting a manufacturer be handled and most importantly why would BlackBerry want to provide an OS for a device that they basically have no control over?

These are not defeatist questions meant to shoot your idea down but I really do not understand how all of this (yes I know it's not an actual plan) would work.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-25-13 03:51 PM
    Make it come with BB10.2.1, hdmi, miracast, wifi direct, USB OTG, to make it a both a bigger screen for the phone and a little Laptop, for the playbook 1 owners make it come with a beautiful case that includes a BT keyboard with trackpad (or mouse).
    11-25-13 04:02 PM
    I'd say start small and integrate to the old hardware, china will produce an updated motherboard cheap enough and I imagine screens too if you must.

a simple swap out to a new faster board will satisfy most, stick a micro sd carrier but it could stay internal unless you cut and mask your own hole. easier still is probably just up the internal memory even more.

the germans used to do that with the atari st/ste/falcon and I dont think many playbook owners would begrudge a 100 bucks for a battery mainboard replacement. you would probably need a minimum order of 5,000 or so and not sure on the legality but the chinese would have very little issue cloning the current board or making a new android one to drop in going by thw way they are churning out 50 dollar tablets and still making money off them

they allready went part way with the 3g except it was only 32gb so you could take that board, slap a quad core and more ram into it very easily I would have thought which would sort out the OS10 issues and give book owners a choice of how to upgrade/upcycle their old kit.
    11-25-13 06:40 PM
    I think BlackBerry should read this.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:49 PM
    Scott?

Z30. " I'm back in black. Yes I'm back in black!!! "
    11-25-13 07:17 PM
    I don't like the multiple hard drive sizes, make it 16gb with an sd card slot, just like the BB10 phones, if you use the cloud, your not spending money on the hard drive and if you love local storage, you have the option, also if your phone is your camera then I think this tablet should only have a front facing camera for video calls, we all hate people who take pictures with iPads, these measures will reduce number of SKUs and production costs

Via CB10
    11-25-13 07:17 PM
    Scott?

Z30. " I'm back in black. Yes I'm back in black!!! "
    11-25-13 07:18 PM
    Also, as a side note, contrary to other tablets, I like the squared off industrial feel of the PlayBook, despite the needed room for gestures I'd want an 8 inch screen in the old playbook's for factor with smaller bezels

Via CB10
    11-25-13 07:20 PM
    I don't get who would fund this? The original Playbook was a disaster sales wise and didn't exactly make for a great user experience compared to other high end tablets. People didn't want the original and many, like myself, were suckered out of $500 when it launched only to be slapped in the face when they had a fire sale and refused to put BB10 on it.

So who would exactly fund this. It's like someone saying "Hey, let's start a kickstarter for the Microsoft Kin 2! No one wanted the first one but let's start a kickstarter page for version 2!"
    11-25-13 07:28 PM
    Just out of curiosity, for the device as you originally specced, how much funding do you imagine would need to be raised? Once those funds are raised how would contracting a manufacturer be handled and most importantly why would BlackBerry want to provide an OS for a device that they basically have no control over?

These are not defeatist questions meant to shoot your idea down but I really do not understand how all of this (yes I know it's not an actual plan) would work.
    Cost of components is quite low, 16GB of memory approx $10.00 (unlike Apple I wouldn't expect to bump that up to $100.00), Tegra 3 Processor $15 - $25, and so on. The manufacturer would obviously take a cut and start up costs for a line of 5000 - 10,000 units. Exact costs I'm not committing to, but the more units the lower cost per unit.
    Why would Blackberry want to provide the OS for this project? They aren't exactly bringing out devices that people want. If they want to capture a higher market share why not allow other hardware manufactures produce the devices, they certify them, and allow BB10 to be used? Blackberry retain control over the OS, the customers get a variety of devices. Don't think it would work? This is the Google model for Android and its captured a huge share of the market.
    Many devices from different vendors (at a given standard set by Blackberry), one OS, one user experience, one phone (for personal use and where applicable for work, instead of the current, one for phone for personal use and the cheapest Blackberry provided by work).

Whilst I liked the Z10, I am less impressed with the Z30. Even the designer of the device sounded like he was struggling be enthused by the product he designed. I'm tired of crap products, paying over the top for something that could be better or paying over the top for something that isn't quite what I want, it doesn't have to be this way. Anyone that feels the same but still pays for devices that drop in to those categories is complicit in allowing everyone to be short changed if not out right ripped off.
    Last edited by playbook20; 11-26-13 at 02:51 PM.
    11-26-13 01:33 PM
    I don't get who would fund this? The original Playbook was a disaster sales wise and didn't exactly make for a great user experience compared to other high end tablets. People didn't want the original and many, like myself, were suckered out of $500 when it launched only to be slapped in the face when they had a fire sale and refused to put BB10 on it.

So who would exactly fund this. It's like someone saying "Hey, let's start a kickstarter for the Microsoft Kin 2! No one wanted the first one but let's start a kickstarter page for version 2!"
    Well the original PlayBook was more of an experiment, its short comings being blown out of the water by 'professional technology experts / critics' who should keep their mouths shut based on the amount of mistakes I'm seeing in a vast amount of reviews. As for being 'suckered' out of $500.00, some people are more susceptible to marketing than others. No seriously, I can see many people that purchased the PlayBook early on would be a little bitter, as ARE many Z10 owners (orig priced approx 400 odd, not dropped down to 150!). We live in a hyper consumerist world, your phone says something about you, it only hurts the users image when a struggling brand drops prices, which in turn hurts the brand as people move away from it.

Who would fund this? People that want an alternative to Google' Android, who aren't susceptible to Apples 'reality distortion field', hate Windows RT, and generally want what's on offer... an high end device that runs BB10.
    Last edited by playbook20; 11-26-13 at 02:48 PM.
    11-26-13 01:42 PM
    The whole idea of crowdfunding is to see if there is enough interest to get a project going. I do not get people complaining about the 'failure of the PB'. I say go ahead and try to get this on the road. I will pitch in for sure!

And if it does not reach its target, too bad, at least we will know for sure how many people really want this.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-30-13 03:16 PM
    11-30-13 03:41 PM
    OP you need to get in touch with the folks over in the "I support BBRY thread", they seem to be willing to give away money for the "cause".
    Well seems you're right! I just saw this thread and thought it was a nice idea.

I would commit to contributing to bring this to fruition.

Seems a mean-spirited thing for you to say though?

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    11-30-13 03:44 PM
    Blackberry will not support this endeavour

"Hi,
    Thank you for your email and continued support.
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry cannot support this project.

Warm regards,

Media Relations"

Now, what tablet / OS do I now settle for...
    12-09-13 03:13 PM
    Blackberry will not support this endeavour

"Hi,
    Thank you for your email and continued support.
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry cannot support this project.

Warm regards,

Media Relations"

Now, what tablet / OS do I now settle for...
    I am liking my Nexus 7 after a Playbook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-09-13 03:44 PM