The news that RIM is quickly headed for extinction has been greatly exaggerated. Sure, RIM is no longer a top handset manufacturer. And though the company is not profitableit's still losing money and market shareit is managing to keep its head above water. It is currently trying to build buzz around its forthcoming BlackBerry 10 software. RIM's initial tablet offering, the BlackBerry PlayBook, was greeted with mixed reviews when it hit the streets last year; we praised the device more for what it might become rather than for what it was. After 18 months and a major update to PlayBook OS, we're checking back in to see if any of that hinted-at potential has been realized, or if the PlayBook should be consigned to the bin.

When Ars first published our in-depth look at the PlayBook, we were impressed with its hardware and user interface. The software, though, left a lot to be desired. The PlayBook came with no third-party app integration, no standalone messaging software, no expandable storage, and limited usefulness right out of the box. Sales of the device weren't great: only 700,000 units had shipped during the first two quarters following its release, with its total unit sales rounding out to about 1.74 million. The adoption rates were so low that RIM lowered the price on the hardware and eventually pushed for Android apps to be ported over to it in an effort to help expand its market share.

The recent hefty PlayBook software update makes the device worth revisiting because of the unrealized promise of the original hardware. PlayBook OS version 2.1.0.1032 brings several notable enhancements to the PlayBook, including an updated BlackBerry Bridge for better device synchronization, enhancements to the e-mail application, and improved Android app support. We wanted to see if those updates have managed to improve the PlayBook's much-maligned software experience.

Source: Playback: RIMs BlackBerry PlayBook, 18 months later | Ars Technica
    Last edited by Akuji_ism; 10-12-12 at 08:28 AM.
    10-12-12 08:05 AM
    I bet whoever spent hours of their time typing all of that up sure appreciates you directly copying and pasting the entire thing on CrackBerry's forum.
    10-12-12 08:09 AM
    Seriously; just link to the thing.

It's weird that they didn't bother scrounging up a Blackberry to showcase the Bridge features a bit more.
    10-12-12 08:22 AM
    I bet whoever spent hours of their time typing all of that up sure appreciates you directly copying and pasting the entire thing on CrackBerry's forum.
    In case you missed it I've put direct link to the article at the end of the post. The link without text would not be sufficient for new topic.
    10-12-12 08:24 AM
    No I didn't miss the link, but like I said, you directly copy and pasted every word of it. Why would any one click the link after reading the entire thing on CrackBerry forums? The proper way of doing it is just quote a sampling of the article, followed by a link to the original for readers that would like to finish reading it.

EDIT:

The above is just how I would like for my content to be treated, I didn't write that article and that's not from my site. But I would be extremely upset if I spent literally hours writing a review just to have the entire thing pasted to CB an hour after I published it. You aren't the only one that does it, and I'm not trying to come down on you at all. I'm also not a mod here, so it's really none of my business. But geez this happens every single day on CB forums and it shows absolutely no respect for content creators and I guarantee you that if it was another forum displaying CB's posts word for word in their entirety, CB would be upset that it was happening.
    Last edited by berryboba; 10-12-12 at 08:43 AM.
    10-12-12 08:31 AM
    (about quoting)

I believe the current quote is misleading, as it may provide an introduction one can believe being a positive review ... witch is barely the case.

So read the article before liking ... maybe.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-12-12 09:45 AM
    The proper way of doing it is just quote a sampling of the article, followed by a link to the original for readers that would like to finish reading it.
    Exactly. Or even better, saying something about the piece. It's a discussion forum, after all.
    10-12-12 09:49 AM
    glad to see some sites are reviewing the playbook again. Article was pretty fair although i agree they could have found a BB to test the bridge more. Appworld is MUCH better than before but it also does still have defiances for sure also. Either way its good to see more coverage of the PB this late in its life.
    10-12-12 10:37 AM
    As far as App World goes, I think in games it is quite impressive really (for the PlayBook). As for regular apps, there are some good ones out there (which I've paid for), but some pretty important holes still exist. I love my PlayBook and use it all the time.
    10-12-12 04:59 PM
    Maybe the Playbook can stay alive through the media bashing and expert business insiders trashing it. My PlayBook is not slotted to be replaced by anything except the 128GB PlayBook.
    lynxs_claw and morganplus8 like this.
    10-12-12 06:07 PM
    No I didn't miss the link, but like I said, you directly copy and pasted every word of it. Why would any one click the link after reading the entire thing on CrackBerry forums? The proper way of doing it is just quote a sampling of the article, followed by a link to the original for readers that would like to finish reading it.

EDIT:

The above is just how I would like for my content to be treated, I didn't write that article and that's not from my site. But I would be extremely upset if I spent literally hours writing a review just to have the entire thing pasted to CB an hour after I published it. You aren't the only one that does it, and I'm not trying to come down on you at all. I'm also not a mod here, so it's really none of my business. But geez this happens every single day on CB forums and it shows absolutely no respect for content creators and I guarantee you that if it was another forum displaying CB's posts word for word in their entirety, CB would be upset that it was happening.
    In the U.S. it is "good legal form" when posting a news article to also include the source. A link to it is the best way to do so when online.

So if you want to keep your backside out of any legal fires than posting the link is a must when copy n pasting someone else's work.

I know from running and moderating a few forums.

Thanks to the OP for taking the time to do it right.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-13-12 08:29 AM