Here is my grand plan ...

I'm currently still on contract with Verizon, but I know that T-Mobile will buy out my contract. For them to do that I need to:

(1) Trade in a phone - I have my wife's old broken Z10 that they said they would accept, and
    (2) Buy a full price T-Mobile phone - The sales person on the phone said they have one for $29.99

So my thought is that I would take my number from Verizon to T-Mobile, use the money they give me to pay the Verizon early termination fee, and then buy an unlocked Passport to use on T-Mobile. Theoretically, all I would be out is the $29.99 that I had to spend on the T-Mobile phone to qualify. Now I would be off contract, have a Passport, and if T-Mobile isn't working for me, I could always just go to AT&T now. Am I missing something, or should this work out pretty well?
    01-16-15 03:19 PM
    You will have to carry a contract on the phone you buy from TMob and the Passport right? So that's a two-line plan for only one phone that you'll be using? Isn't that how it works when you buy a phone from a carrier? You have to activate it, right?
    01-16-15 03:21 PM
    I think OP just wants to move the sim from the activated Tmobile phone to the non-carrier Passport. That should not be a problem in fact thats probably the best way. Sometimes new phones that are not in the carrier lineup can troublesome to activate since the model info is not in the carrier system. Just make sure the sim size from the carrier phone is the same as the Passport nano-sim otherwise you'll need to get or cut down or transferred to the new sim with the correct size.
    01-16-15 03:28 PM
    You should be good to go. T-Mobile doesn't do "contracts" anymore, the only "contract" you'd have is the payment plan for the phone you get (which you got covered).

I'm on T-Mobile, it works, looking for a deal to get a passport as well 😊
    01-16-15 03:40 PM
    I think OP just wants to move the sim from the activated Tmobile phone to the non-carrier Passport. That should not be a problem in fact thats probably the best way. Sometimes new phones that are not in the carrier lineup can troublesome to activate since the model info is not in the carrier system. Just make sure the sim size from the carrier phone is the same as the Passport nano-sim otherwise you'll need to get or cut down or transferred to the new sim with the correct size.
    Yes, that's correct - sorry, I should have been more clear, jaydee. The phone that I activate on T-Mobile is just going to be a place holder. I will take the sim card out of that and put it into the Passport.

Thank you for the heads up, Ment - I didn't think about the sim card size. I've been reading about people using the Passport on T-Mobile without problems, but i'll verify that, as well.
    01-16-15 03:42 PM
    Yes Tmob works fine with Passport but it does not have wireless calling as that is reserved for carrier phones.

Oh forgot another thing. Insurance if you plan on buying it may be good to look for 3rd party coverage like Square. Carrier insurance may result in them offering you a replacement phone in their lineup instead of a Passport.
    lift likes this.
    01-16-15 03:45 PM
    Yes Tmob works fine with Passport but it does not have wireless calling as that is reserved for carrier phones.
    If I wind up taking the phone to AT&T, would wifi calling work? Or would it only work if I buy the AT&T rounded version?
    01-16-15 03:47 PM
    If I wind up taking the phone to AT&T, would wifi calling work? Or would it only work if I buy the AT&T rounded version?
    No only Tmobile phones. It has to be added to the OS. Newer Iphones with IOS8 can move between US carriers and get Wifi calling in Tmobile because the feature has been added between Apple and Tmob but not for the rest of us.
    01-16-15 03:53 PM
    No only Tmobile phones. It has to be added to the OS. Newer Iphones with IOS8 can move between US carriers and get Wifi calling in Tmobile because the feature has been added between Apple and Tmob but not for the rest of us.
    But what i'm wondering is, if I buy the unlocked BlackBerry Passport from Amazon to use on T-Mobile, wifi calling will not work, correct? If I wind up taking that same phone and using it on AT&T, will wifi calling work then?
    01-16-15 04:39 PM
    But what i'm wondering is, if I buy the unlocked BlackBerry Passport from Amazon to use on T-Mobile, wifi calling will not work, correct? If I wind up taking that same phone and using it on AT&T, will wifi calling work then?
    Yes the unlocked Passport will not work for Tmob wi-fi calling from Amazon, ShopBlackberry or anywhere else.
    Don't believe AT&T has implemented that feature on their network so who knows how it will work. Last I heard it was later in 2015.
    01-16-15 05:05 PM
    I did exactly that but I traded in an old phone, gave my Z30 to my mom to replace her iPhone and got the Passport. Love Tmobile.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 07:22 AM