Hey all, did a search couldn't find an answer off the bat.

What exactly does it mean in BB Messenger to "Ping Contact?"

Thanks!
    11-20-07 04:54 PM
    It sends their BBM application an alert, a buzz or ringtone or whatever you have set under Profiles for the "Messenger - Alert" setting.
    How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ
    11-20-07 05:02 PM
    But whats the point of doing that!?
    11-20-07 05:12 PM
    yeah I don't seem to get it as well....
    11-20-07 05:17 PM
    I use the "PING" feature to get someone's attention. (And it works everytime.) For example, say I send you a message in the BB messenger. A few minutes go by and you haven't responded. In my mind, I'm thinking, "Hey, they didn't hear their phone beep or feel it vibrate." So, I PING! you to make your phone vibrate again to get your attention. Then you will respond to my urgent matter.
    11-20-07 06:37 PM
    In my case...I set my bb messenger alert to "tone" only so my curve isn't vibrating everytime I receive an IM. But when someone PINGS!!! me it then, and only then, vibrates to get my attention.
    11-20-07 06:53 PM
    Pinging is like a nudge in MSN or a Buzz in Yahoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-07 07:43 PM
    Pinging is like a nudge in MSN or a Buzz in Yahoo.

Very well put "Solachica"
    11-20-07 08:29 PM
    OK, thx for the info bc as long as I have had a BB I NEVER knew what it was for.. lmao
    11-25-07 07:32 PM
    So that's what it means. Cool

11-25-07 11:14 PM
    Hi, I am new to this site as of today... I was reading about Pinging and I have a question about it, hoping someone can help. Ok, so I go to the BB Messanger, and I want to add my contacts into it right? I click Add Contact, from there it takes me to my address book and I select who I want to add. When I click Add to BB Messanger, it says your contacts are empty. Is this a service I need to pay for? Thanks...
    02-01-09 08:56 AM
    Hey greeny,

The reason you are getting a msg that appears stating your contacts are empty is because you are selecting friends from your address book, where you have not saved their PINs.
    So you can either manually enter the PIN, or edit your address book and enter in your friends with PINs, so it can add from there. It has its on section that says "PIN: "

Hope this helps.
    05-27-09 05:32 PM
    Pinging is great, I use it as an attention getter, or to alert someone that I've msgd them

05-27-09 06:39 PM
    i like to annoy my friends by constantly pinging them. hahahaha. but, yeah it depends on what they have set on their sound profiles.
    05-27-09 06:43 PM
    I think Pings are ridiculous & rude. If I didn't answer the bbm the 1st time, I'm obviously busy.

05-28-09 02:11 AM
    I thought it was a golf app

J/k

05-28-09 02:25 AM
    Its actually pretty useful if someone didn't notice the message you sent.
    05-28-09 04:02 AM
    Sweet! Thanks for the 411 guys!

05-29-09 01:10 PM
    is "pinging" free? or does it come out of your data allowance?
    08-29-09 01:50 PM
    I think Pings are ridiculous & rude. If I didn't answer the bbm the 1st time, I'm obviously busy.
    Ish Blondie! I almost pinged you! TG I didn't!
    08-29-09 02:19 PM
    Ish Blondie! I almost pinged you! TG I didn't!
    Sorry. I just read my original post & thought OMG what a biotch! I didn't mean to sound so rude. Once you have someone ping you over & over it gets annoying.

08-29-09 02:59 PM
    I typically ping my contact first to see if they are available to chat. If they don't respond I don't send the message. Maybe I'm over thinking bbm etiquette.

08-29-09 04:16 PM
    I typically ping my contact first to see if they are available to chat. If they don't respond I don't send the message. Maybe I'm over thinking bbm etiquette.

i thought that was the point of a PING...kinda like with the old nextel with the "chirp"...u ping/chirp first before u just blurt out a message...
    08-29-09 06:12 PM
    I use the Ping fuction with my frieds just to annoy them. I know it's mean but most of the time we get into Ping wars and sometimes mine/friends phones just constantly start vibrating or beeping for a few minutes because we've sent so many.
    We especially like to do it in the middle of the night or early in the morning. Kind of immature and stupid I know but it's all fun for us.
    02-19-10 10:25 AM
    I use the Ping fuction with my frieds just to annoy them. I know it's mean but most of the time we get into Ping wars and sometimes mine/friends phones just constantly start vibrating or beeping for a few minutes because we've sent so many.
    We especially like to do it in the middle of the night or early in the morning. Kind of immature and stupid I know but it's all fun for us.
    This really is the only reason I can think of to use a ping. Why would you try and get someone's attention before or after you send them a message? What's the point if you're just going to be sending a message anyway?

If I don't respond to a message and someone pings me afterward to get my attention, they will get an earful. It reminds me of that one person everybody knows that annoys the he77 outta you with constant messages over and over. Then you get into the "Are you mad?" or "Did I do something?" conversation and I won't even get into that because I'm already mad just thinking about it.

Ping is useless IMO.
    02-19-10 11:46 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD