So I'm using the trial of a BB utility and I'm thinking about buying the full license. The problem? The author of the software requires the device's PIN for the license registration.

I can totally understand linking a software license to a specific device; I have no problem with that. I'd rather keep my PIN private though, as if I give out my PIN I get exposed to the possibility of the software developer (or who knows who else) sending me BB messages. If there is one kind of PC and mobile device application I really hate are instant messengers.

How do you guys deal with your PIN in cases like this?
    10-03-08 04:55 PM
    I have several apps that have the registration tied to the
    PIN and have never had an issue with my PIN being misused
    by a developer.

Think about it, if that were to happen it would be very very bad
    for any developer that did that, as it would get posted here and
    on every other BB forum.
    10-03-08 05:12 PM
    So I'm using the trial of a BB utility and I'm thinking about buying the full license. The problem? The author of the software requires the device's PIN for the license registration.

I can totally understand linking a software license to a specific device; I have no problem with that. I'd rather keep my PIN private though, as if I give out my PIN I get exposed to the possibility of the software developer (or who knows who else) sending me BB messages. If there is one kind of PC and mobile device application I really hate are instant messengers.

How do you guys deal with your PIN in cases like this?
    There's a huge difference between knowing your PIN and getting messages to your phone. First *you* must accept the contact and exchange PINs, only after this can messaages come through. If you delete an existing PIN contact permission the messages should be rejected.

I don't see a major problem in this, its a good way for the developer to enforce one license, one device. No more uncontrolled distribution and copyright theft. It also protects you because your legitimate license is not a subsidy for the pirated copies.
    10-03-08 06:03 PM
    I have purchased a lot of apps that are linked to my PIN number and I've never had a problem receiving messages. Don't worry that won't happen!
    10-03-08 06:10 PM
    Thanks all for your input.
    10-03-08 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD