Wt is the difference? I know u use a pin # rather than phone # for pin messaging but really.. Why all the hype?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 04:43 PM
    i believe that a pin message doesnt count towards monthly text messaging fees....
    03-14-10 04:45 PM
    The PIN message is the OG version of BBM. BBM is basically PIN messaging too. I
    don't use it as well as many others. Just an old feature of Blackberries.
    03-14-10 04:58 PM
    Yes an 'old' feature, but probably the best in my opinion. Love BBM!

03-14-10 06:13 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. : )~

03-14-10 06:41 PM
    And they don't go true a server More confidential.
    03-14-10 07:28 PM
    Yes an 'old' feature, but probably the best in my opinion. Love BBM!
    You are confusing PIN Messages with BBM. They are a bit different. Unlike BBM
    PIN Messages are sent in the same way an email is sent but only between BBs.
    PIN Messages are also NOT threaded. BBM is.

PIN Messages as others have stated is the older method of BB to BB
    communication. It is also useful as not everyone who uses a BB install BBM.
    03-14-10 09:16 PM
    PIN messaging is still dependent on a data plan, right?

03-14-10 09:26 PM
    PIN messaging is still dependent on a data plan, right?
    Sure does
    03-14-10 09:53 PM
    Will this work if I send a PIN message to my wife's BB that only has t-zones and not a BB data plan?
    03-14-10 10:02 PM
    Will this work if I send a PIN message to my wife's BB that only has t-zones and not a BB data plan?
    No. PIN messages require a BlackBerry data plan.

FWIW, I use BBM all the time, but I never use PIN messaging. The only PIN message I ever got was from RIM telling me to update BBM.
    03-14-10 11:10 PM
    One important difference is that with SMS your message may or may not ever get received, and you will never know. (at least without asking the recepient) With Pin messaging, you get almost instantaneous delivery and will even get an error notification if it cannot be delivered.
    03-15-10 10:36 AM
    The other difference between BBM and PIN messages is the approval process.

BBM requires friends to accept your friend request first, so you can only BBM with people on your friend list. PIN messages can be sent to any BB PIN.

I think you might be able to block PIN messages from people in BBM5 (if you deny a friend request), or using the firewall to limit BBM/PIN messages.
    03-15-10 11:02 AM
    SMS can have delivery notifications and approval.

BlackBerry might avoid (disable) such features on SMS but its not a technological limitation - its a political one.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 11:21 AM
    SMS can have delivery notifications and approval.

BlackBerry might avoid (disable) such features on SMS but its not a technological limitation - its a political one.

Depends the carrier.
    03-15-10 12:10 PM
    PIN messaging is different from BBM/SMS as when you PIN message somebody it's formatted like an email. With Subject field, priority level, and can have formatted text. Not just a line of text like you get with BBM/SMS.
    03-15-10 12:16 PM
    Ok. Then again, PIN depends on the carrier too because not all permit BIS

03-15-10 02:33 PM
    Ok. Then again, PIN depends on the carrier too because not all permit BIS

If a carrier didn't permit BIS then they wouldn't carry a Blackberry to begin with.
    03-15-10 02:36 PM
    Wt is the difference? I know u use a pin # rather than phone # for pin messaging but really.. Why all the hype?

My personal line has unlimited uk texts. This makes it roughly the same price as bbm. eg: free

My work line has 100texts/sms a month. additional texts are 10pence. BBM is free. Also, i can have my 'home services team' as a group in BBM and i can send the same message to everyone in the group at once. kinda like a text based walkie talkie.

when roaming its free to receive texts/sms. Sending sms to the foreign country or back to your own country costs maybe 50 pence. BBM or pin messaging is data and maybe 1 or 2 kb. i pay �1.25 per mb so that means that i can have a significant saving. especially if i want to contact my team ie: 10 sms at a time. Also, there is no 160character limit. so a 250caracter sms to my team would cost me 50pence x 2 x 10 peopel = 10 pounds per conversation/day vs �1.25 for the whole week abroad.

Hypothetical situation. Actual savings would be more. especially if you are sending photos via bbm/pin vs mms

Thoughts?
    03-15-10 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD