Is it possible? I tried researching but i dont think i am using the proper search terms.

Are there phones out there that have PIN numbers like our BBs? If so, can we communicate using PIN messaging? How about BB messenger?
    11-05-09 08:17 AM
    I doubt it, I believe PINs are used only on BBs...
    11-05-09 08:19 AM
    whats the idea behind pinstack.com then? they have forums on just about every smartphone. do only the BBs use a PIN?
    11-05-09 08:22 AM
    Correct. Only BB use Pins.
    11-05-09 09:17 AM
    BB PINS are for BIS/BES users only on a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 09:29 AM
    whats the idea behind pinstack.com then? they have forums on just about every smartphone. do only the BBs use a PIN?
    PINstack started a BB forum like Crackberry.com, but since CB is the monster it is, bringing warm RIM cheer to all. PINstack started doing apple/winmo/'droid/palm and Nokia phones.....
    11-05-09 09:45 AM
    RIM’s BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile allows phones running windows mobile to BBM. It assigns the phone a pin allowing it to do so.
    11-05-09 10:05 AM
    I heard that other phones can download BB Messenger...but I'm not sure about it, nor do I know any specifics of what might be needed. Maybe an admin can answer this?
    11-05-09 10:11 AM
    Also, you can add people with email...not just with a PIN...so maybe that suggests it is possible?
    11-05-09 10:13 AM
    good info here guys. appreciate the prompt responses.
    11-05-09 01:51 PM
    RIM�s BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile allows phones running windows mobile to BBM. It assigns the phone a pin allowing it to do so.
    This is actually the whole BB OS running on the phone. I am not sure how they assign the PIN but you are running the device as though it is a BB.

As for email BBM, the person you add using an email still requires them to have BBM to hold a conversation.

So bottom line, you need BBM to talk to someone on BBM. There is no other way to do it and no 3rd party applications to communicate with BBM that I am aware of.
    11-05-09 02:00 PM
    i dont know, i was able to talk to someone ON bbm and they weren't speaking through pin. in fact, i hadn't added them yet through their pin since they just got a storm. maybe i'm not seeing all the factors but to me it seems like i spoke to someone through their text/email while i was replying from bbm. correct me if im wrong
    11-05-09 03:38 PM
    You can create a contact using email, but its doing the PIN stuff for you in the background.

Non-BB alternatives = Text/MMS or Google Talk
    11-05-09 03:43 PM
    i dont know, i was able to talk to someone ON bbm and they weren't speaking through pin. in fact, i hadn't added them yet through their pin since they just got a storm. maybe i'm not seeing all the factors but to me it seems like i spoke to someone through their text/email while i was replying from bbm. correct me if im wrong
    And what device where they using, non BB? I can't see that happening unless they're running the BB OS.

And even then, you can connect to someone using an email address attached to the BB in question and it negotiates like the PIN. So yes, it's possible but BBM is still doing the PIN thing in the background.
    11-05-09 04:20 PM
    This is actually the whole BB OS running on the phone. I am not sure how they assign the PIN but you are running the device as though it is a BB.
    Using some sort of fancy algorithm RIM assigned a unique pin to each non blackberry device using the devices IMEI #.

BTW anybody know what the **** happened to the Blackberry Application Suite? Last bit of info regarding it came out back in February 09, with a supposed planned release in "coming months". Its been 9 months since and no ones heard or seen anything since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 03:25 PM
    Keep an eye on WhatsApp, so far it's in Beta testing for BB, but it's working flawlessly for iPhones and the developers are working already in cross-platform chatting. They are still working on a couple of BBM features like R & D confirmation for iPhone and once they are done with the beta testing for BB, next step is Cross-Platform chat.
    11-12-09 03:34 PM
    BTW anybody know what the **** happened to the Blackberry Application Suite? Last bit of info regarding it came out back in February 09, with a supposed planned release in "coming months". Its been 9 months since and no ones heard or seen anything since.
    I'm starting to think the whole thing was a hoax.
    11-13-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD