hey guys....id assume the PIN for a BB is the same meaning as any device with PIN, a Personal Identification Number, however, give me the scoop on a PIN for a BB.....what its use is, why you would trade a PIN with someone else, and basically anything id want to know. Not real good with asking what it is as i know nothing about it, so just tell me everything you can about it.

Thanks
    CC
    09-29-09 07:50 PM
    I pin for a BB isn't quite the same as what you're thinking of.
    It's a unique identifying number for your Berry that cannot be changed, and is used to identify your particular device by the BlackBerry network (BIS or BES).

It's used for messaging (PIN messaging, like e-mail or SMS) and also for the excellent BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
    Your BlackBerry also uses it for other "behind the scenes" things, like routing your e-mail and verifying security settings.

For our purposes, sharing it is like sharing any other contact info, except that it can't be blocked, so don't give it out to anyone you don't want to talk to.
    09-29-09 08:02 PM
    Each blackberry has it's own PIN. If you know someone else's you can send a pin message and you can add them to BBM (blackberry messenger). If you send a pin message it goes through the RIM servers immediately instead of you email provider. It is instantaneous. They are both very quick ways to communicate.

To find you pin go to Option-Status. You can scroll over your pin, hit the menu key and copy your pin to send to someone else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 08:03 PM
    interesting.....but im still kinda confused lol
    09-29-09 08:13 PM
    BBM doesnt count towards your text package...
    09-29-09 08:53 PM
    gotcha, however BBM is only for BB to BB users correct?
    09-29-09 09:02 PM
    gotcha, however BBM is only for BB to BB users correct?
    yup once the bb has a blackberry plan.
    09-29-09 09:32 PM
    ok so you need a BB plan from your provider in order to BBM.

is that the main use of a PIN then, is to message other users?
    09-29-09 09:41 PM
    yes and bbm (two different but similar ways to message)
    i, personally, like to use bbm with my pals that have blackberrys bc when you send a picture it can be viewed instantly without having to save it
    09-29-09 09:46 PM
    BBM also allows you to use emoticons (aka smileys) like an I'm program such as Yahoo Messenger or Windows Live Messenger does with fellow BB users. If you use BBM 5.0, you can create an avatar for your friends to see.

09-29-09 10:31 PM
    ok so you need a BB plan from your provider in order to BBM.

is that the main use of a PIN then, is to message other users?
    Think along the line of serial number. A unique identifier for the device. Message other BB users is the usage available to us. RIM uses PIN to identify the device on the network.
    09-30-09 10:16 AM
    at first i was confused also, but i think understand the pin now... i just didnt get that it was used for other things than bbm, i thought that was the primary purpose.... and you can send pin messages without having a contact added to bmm also ?
    09-30-09 01:59 PM
    The more you use it. You will love it.
    09-30-09 02:02 PM
    i just didnt get that it was used for other things than bbm, i thought that was the primary purpose.... and you can send pin messages without having a contact added to bmm also ?
    Yup, the PIN is the very core of how BBM's communicate.
    And you can send a PIN exactly the same as a text or e-mail, either by having the persons PIN in your address book, or by manually typing it.
    09-30-09 02:08 PM
    ok...crazy lol
    09-30-09 06:17 PM
    It's a identifier for a BlackBerry. You can talk to people on BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM. It's like AIM/MSN but for BB users only. You add people by trading your PIN.
    Unless you want people to BBM you all day, don't give out your PIN randomly....

10-01-09 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD