Example or source? I've never seen that, and I have a few friends and family members who use AT&T (including my two sons who's carrier bills I paid until they graduated college), and have never seen that.
    ATT&T no longer does the traditional subsidized contract, in favor of their payment plan, "AT&T NEXT".

I never bothered to run the numbers on NEXT but the contract used to be a great deal if you had no intention of switching carriers. They basically gave you a deal on the phone if you agreed to keep their service. They then went to a different scheme where they gave you a service discount on your monthly charges if you bought your phone outright -- which when added up meant that you paid the same after two years as you would have on their contract plan. (discounted phone+service)=(phone+discounted service).
    Bingo...thanks for the explanation, haven't been on since I posted.
    Last edited by donmateo; 03-22-16 at 08:41 AM.
    03-22-16 08:01 AM
    Bingo...thanks for the explanation, haven't been on since I posted.
    I would say.... if you are currently on a plan with your Carrier, to ask abut an upgrade, if no.... ask again.

Last year, VZW would not upgrade my wife with a subsidized phone. It was either do their EDGE plan or buy outright or bring your own.

But two weeks ago, my daughter was able to do an upgrade with a subsidized phone $199 for a iPhone 6 (64GB version). We didn't threaten to leave VZW, just asked about the option and he said no problem.
    03-22-16 08:11 AM
    I always buy off-contract... And I purchase in full. Not a fan of the whole 'lease to own' thing as I've never been the type to be comfortable knowing I owed someone (or something) anything... Hate the feeling of being in debt. If I can afford it, I buy it. If I can't I wait until I can. I also, like the OP, enjoy flipping my devices as well... While I seldom break even and often take a loss (unless I choose to sell overseas in which case I can a profit all day) it still essentially takes a device I'm not that into and now makes the next gadget I purchase suddenly within budget once more without having to be out of pocket much... All in all, I make out far better using this approach than having a 2 year contract or essentially renting the device until fully paid...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 03-22-16 at 05:36 PM.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-22-16 04:59 PM
    Off contract since years ! Wider choice of devices and better prices !
    03-22-16 07:15 PM
    I stopped getting phones on contact when T-Mobile and BlackBerry had their falling out. Since then I've bought directly from shopblackberry or Amazon. I like not having to wait for carrier updates. Although right now updates are few and far in between. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 12:46 PM
    No contracts here. Family of 4 with Z10s. Haven't had problems with carrier yet (been with AT&T since 1990 b/c previous carriers were sequentially bought by them), but it's peace of mind knowing that if I get fed up I can safely ignore all the marketing hype about "switch and we'll pay all your fees".
    03-23-16 01:14 PM
    I do the math, and sometimes buy from the carrier, and sometimes unlocked.

For example, with my Rogers contract, I found out that they do not give any discounts for byod, so I ended up just getting a Leap, since there is no other carrier I can go to that gives me a better deal than my old Rogers plan.

There is no one correct answer.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-23-16 05:49 PM
    People buying phones outright and off contract increased 140 percent last year according to Android Central and a recent article. The last carrier branded device I purchased was my Z10 in March/April of '13. Never again. Only direct and updated timely when BlackBerry releases the update. And no crappy lease and or amortizing.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    anon(4275744) likes this.
    03-23-16 06:59 PM
    I've been contract-free since 2012 when I kicked Rogers to the curb. Will never again be stuck on a contract.

I buy my phones with cash, and use whatever PAYG makes the most sense for my needs. For 3 years it was 7-11's SpeakOut system, then when they changed things up, I switched to Wind. Now getting unlimited talk / text / data and free long distance for $39/month.
    03-23-16 07:15 PM
    I've been contract-free since 2012 when I kicked Rogers to the curb. Will never again be stuck on a contract.

I buy my phones with cash, and use whatever PAYG makes the most sense for my needs. For 3 years it was 7-11's SpeakOut system, then when they changed things up, I switched to Wind. Now getting unlimited talk / text / data and free long distance for $39/month.
    Are you getting LTE ?

Each to their own. You have to do the math in each case. No hard rules. Costco has some good deals.
    03-23-16 07:27 PM
    Are you getting LTE ?

Each to their own. You have to do the math in each case. No hard rules. Costco has some good deals.
    I have no idea if I get LTE or not. I've got access to wifi 80% of the time and I use very little data. The 3 years I was with SpeakOut I had no data at all and didn't miss it. It's nice to have though for the rare moment I'm not in range of wifi.

I'm one of those oddballs who uses their phone as a phone most of the time so unlimited talk & free long distance are worth way more to me than the data.
    03-23-16 07:39 PM
    Haven't bought one on contract in years.
    Ditto... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-23-16 09:49 PM
    Haven't bought one on contract in years.
    That's because you get them given to you all the time.
    03-23-16 09:57 PM
    Straight Talk Passport SE user here. With auto pay it's 43-ish a month for 5 gig. No point in being on a contract for me I guess. I shopped around for a 'like new' used SE got a great deal, 300 or something, on ebay and never looked back. I know people are saying yeah but with a contract you can upgrade after 2 years etc. Just my opinion but no phone out there at this time is considered an upgrade over the Passport SE.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:40 AM
    Bought two phones outright to avoid changing my phone plan.

Part of the contract phone 'deals' from Bell (maybe all other contract plans, IDK) is the rollover to a 'new improved' rate plan. Invariably the 'improved' plan is more expensive.

As many have said: Do the math. Sometimes the changes are good for you, sometimes not.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 11:02 AM
    Off contract - always.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-26-16 11:06 AM
41 12