Are people still buying phones on-contract? We stopped doing so last year and it's been great. As soon as a phone comes out we like we sell our old phones, most of the time for a wash or profit, and get what we want. I read that there was a 140% increase in this practice last year. Hopefully carriers don't find a way to block this, as it's a vastly superior approach if you've got the up-front loot. What do you do?
    03-21-16 11:04 AM
    Haven't bought one on contract in years.
    03-21-16 11:12 AM
    Cash is king, and I've tried to avoid credit lines or contracted debt anywhere I possibly can.
    bakron1 likes this.
    03-21-16 11:26 AM
    I have never had a cell phone contract in my life and I am OLD! lol
    03-21-16 11:34 AM
    Never buy on contract.....

Here in Europe this seems to be more the case as in America. When I started to read tech sites I was first confused about the phone prices....that those were with contract was so normal that it was not mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 12:16 PM
    It's in the public's interest to commodotize the carrier's. Vertical integration is good for them and bad for us.
    03-21-16 12:21 PM
    Last time I upgraded was back in 2009. Unfortunately the delivery guy decided he will steal my phone and sign on my behalf on the courier pad. That was last time. Since then I've been buying phones outright.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 01:42 PM
    Always on contract.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 02:33 PM
    Contracts suck! Better to buy outright, if possible.

The BlackBerry Guy
    03-21-16 02:39 PM
    What's wrong with contracts? They have their disadvantages, but you can get a $600+ phone for $200 or less.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 02:40 PM
    Depends on your Carrier.

For example, up until 6 months ago your monthly cost with VZW would be the same whether you bought a subsidized phone or already owned it outright. So when you upgraded or bought a new phone, you'd be crazy to not buy it on contract. If your monthly payment is fixed regardless, buying it on contract is the only way to go. Using arbitrary numbers... if you could by a phone outright for $700 and your monthly fee is $30, but have the option to pay $299 up front, and your monthly fee would still be $30, it's not a hard choice to choose the contract that would save you $400.

Buying a phone outright will never save you money, and the end result may end up with you paying more. Buying a phone on contract gives you the opportunity to save a few bones. The only real question is whether you're in a place where you're willing to place yourself in a contract. Buying a phone outright gives you the flexibility to change carriers willy nilly, but beyond that, there's no advantage. Most people though, with or without contracts, stick with their preferred carriers anyway, so what's the point? Sure there is the small minority who will change carriers at the drop of a hat, but realistically that's a bad habit.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 03-21-16 at 03:44 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-21-16 03:33 PM
    ATT used to charge a monthly premium for contract phones (may still), so your cost ended up being more than off contract. I avoid contracts now.
    03-21-16 03:41 PM
    I've just always had a phone on contract. Not great with my money, so the contract works for me.

Plus which, it hides some of the sticker shock.
    03-21-16 03:43 PM
    ATT used to charge a monthly premium for contract phones (may still), so your cost ended up being more than off contract. I avoid contracts now.
    Example or source? I've never seen that, and I have a few friends and family members who use AT&T (including my two sons who's carrier bills I paid until they graduated college), and have never seen that.
    03-21-16 03:45 PM
    Depends on your Carrier.

For example, up until 6 months ago your monthly cost with VZW would be the same whether you bought a subsidized phone or already owned it outright. So when you upgraded or bought a new phone, you'd be crazy to not buy it on contract. If your monthly payment is fixed regardless, buying it on contract is the only way to go. Using arbitrary numbers... if you could by a phone outright for $700 and your monthly fee is $30, but have the option to pay $299 up front, and your monthly fee would still be $30, it's not a hard choice to choose the contract that would save you $400.

Buying a phone outright will never save you money, and the end result may end up with you paying more. Buying a phone on contract gives you the opportunity to save a few bones. The only real question is whether you're in a place where you're willing to place yourself in a contract. Buying a phone outright gives you the flexibility to change carriers willy nilly, but beyond that, there's no advantage. Most people though, with or without contracts, stick with their preferred carriers anyway, so what's the point? Sure there is the small minority who will change carriers at the drop of a hat, but realistically that's a bad habit.
    You have to run all the numbers, and decided if you want to commit for two years.

VZW did offer a discount if we brought our own phone, which over two years would save us $240. But going the contract route we paid $200 for a $650 phone, so in the end we really only $440 ... so still save $200.

But for those that want a new phone every few months or every year... it might not work
    03-21-16 03:59 PM
    Off contract. I'd lose my $44 unlimited plan with 3gb data if I signed a contract.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    03-21-16 04:01 PM
    You have to run all the numbers, and decided if you want to commit for two years.

VZW did offer a discount if we brought our own phone, which over two years would save us $240. But going the contract route we paid $200 for a $650 phone, so in the end we really only $440 ... so still save $200.

But for those that want a new phone every few months or every year... it might not work
    It's been a while (and I'm too lazy at the moment to dredge up the old sources), but it was recognized that even with a 2 year (24 month) contract, VZW offered their "early upgrades" at 20 months instead of 24, because that was when your subsidized device was paid off. So basically after 20 months, VZW was making even more profit off of their subscribers because they were still paying the subsidize fee.

Recognition of this practice is why VZW has now dropped that practice altogether. VZW now only sells phones outright, with the option of a non-interest bearing payment plan if you sign a contract. Today, with VZW you're paying for the phone outright regardless.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 03-21-16 at 04:25 PM.
    03-21-16 04:10 PM
    off contract with att gophone program!

$55.00 a month with 4 gig and roll over.
    03-21-16 04:15 PM
    Off

Z10
    03-21-16 04:17 PM
    Example or source? I've never seen that, and I have a few friends and family members who use AT&T (including my two sons who's carrier bills I paid until they graduated college), and have never seen that.
    ATT&T no longer does the traditional subsidized contract, in favor of their payment plan, "AT&T NEXT".

I never bothered to run the numbers on NEXT but the contract used to be a great deal if you had no intention of switching carriers. They basically gave you a deal on the phone if you agreed to keep their service. They then went to a different scheme where they gave you a service discount on your monthly charges if you bought your phone outright -- which when added up meant that you paid the same after two years as you would have on their contract plan. (discounted phone+service)=(phone+discounted service).
    donmateo likes this.
    03-21-16 04:34 PM
    What's wrong with contracts? They have their disadvantages, but you can get a $600+ phone for $200 or less.

Posted via CB10
    Verizon and AT&T will add cost on top of your bill WITH the up front cost. You still pay at least full price and are locked in for two years with cancelation fees.
    outlooker likes this.
    03-21-16 05:14 PM
    Bought both my BlackBerry's off contract. I'm with Rogers and don't feel like getting ripped off so I have a $30 plan which gives me everything but data, and it's pretty darn good!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 05:26 PM
    Each contract and phone is different. You have to do the math. Some phones are eligible for a lite contract which here in Canada works out to a savings of $240. I got a lite phone for 0 down too. Make a spread sheet that includes your down-payment or full payment and your monthly bill. Look at the BYOD monthly discount on an unlocked device.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    03-22-16 02:20 AM
    I buy my phones "off tab". I believe in the long run, it's cheaper. I'm currently using a new Z30 I bought from CrackBerry last year. It was cheap!!
    I upgrade when I want. No device balance to pay off.
    I have found that since I have my own unlocked phones, (I'm not on a term contract), Rogers has sweetened the pot over the past 2+ years. I will NOT get a better plan anywhere else.
    Last week they offered me $150 credit for each phone I bought on tab.
    I declined.

From my Z30!
    03-22-16 02:38 AM
    As with Troy, I buy all my devices outright and pay cash. T Mobile now has no contracts which is great unlike the other carriers who require long term agreements.
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-22-16 04:33 AM
41 12