Setup a new z30 lastnight. Was on my home wifi. At some point reloading apps, it must have switched to data service because by midnight I received two texts from my carrier indicating my 400 MB monthly data quota was used up. I now have a $35 added charge.
    I'm thinking it was the very large gps map download for Mireo's Don't Panic app.

Any hope disputing this or is it all my fault?
    Cheers.
    ===================

Edit: Corrected 400 GB to 400 MB. Also, as of this morning, my data usage is now showing I'm over by 2 GB, not 1.7 GB as of lastnight when I first got the text alert. I shut down my data service immediately lastnight.
    I now owe $40.
    Flicked out via Zed30
    Last edited by Tornado99; 08-21-14 at 11:32 AM.
    08-21-14 10:13 AM
    You mean 4GB?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 10:14 AM
    You used to have a legacy device, right? I strongly suggest upgrading to a 1GB, at the very least.

You could also turn off data services under settings > networks and connections > mobile network > data services.
    08-21-14 10:16 AM
    You mean 4GB?

Posted via CB10
    4 and 0 are pretty far on the virtual keyboard. Could be 40GB, but at any rate my Z10 somehow managed to use data service instead of WiFi (of which I wasn't connected to any) during setup, after me trying so hard to get it to connect to a WiFi

Something definitely happened there, but don't know what the cause is

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-21-14 10:21 AM
    You mean 4GB?

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I meant 400 MB.
    My usage now shows I'm over by 2 GB....and now owe $40 over my monthly plan amount.

Flicked out via Zed30
    08-21-14 11:29 AM
    You used to have a legacy device, right? I strongly suggest upgrading to a 1GB, at the very least.

You could also turn off data services under settings > networks and connections > mobile network > data services.
    My previous phone, though 1.5 yrs old, is hardly legacy (z10) :-)
    Same plan...400MB monthly.

Flicked out via Zed30
    08-21-14 11:34 AM
    Update:
    I just talked with customer service. After reviewing my data consumption rates over the past year, they approved removing this 2GB over usage from the other night. I will not be charged the $40 amount. My plan will reset to zero usage at beginning of next billing cycle (a couple of weeks from now). I need to keep my data plan deactivated until then to avoid further charges.
    I am very satisfied with this outcome and the interaction with the rep was one of the best i have ever had in recent years on any service, no question. Rep was knowledgeable courteous immediately understood the situation and got it sorted.

Well Done Koodo!

Flicked out via Zed10
    08-22-14 02:12 PM
    Wow. That is good I go over ever month now since I got my z10

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 03:34 PM
    Update:
    I just talked with customer service. After reviewing my data consumption rates over the past year, they approved removing this 2GB over usage from the other night. I will not be charged the $40 amount. My plan will reset to zero usage at beginning of next billing cycle (a couple of weeks from now). I need to keep my data plan deactivated until then to avoid further charges.
    I am very satisfied with this outcome and the interaction with the rep was one of the best i have ever had in recent years on any service, no question. Rep was knowledgeable courteous immediately understood the situation and got it sorted.

Well Done Koodo!

Flicked out via Zed10
    Use a data compression browser to reduce your data consumption
    Like opera or chrome that uses a vpn to tunnel and compress your data

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-22-14 06:39 PM
    Good tip. But this happened during app loading after a phone setup. I was not browsing. Some point during install of app data, phone switched over to data plan from my home wifi and I did not notice...it was downloading map files for a gps app for well over 1 hour.

Flicked out via Zed10
    08-22-14 07:09 PM
    New phone downloads the most recent os right away (I think) .
    There's a lot of data right there.
    Plus the apps, and your mail and that.

I would bet the wifi failed 3 times while trying to obtain an ip address and the phone reverted to cellular data.

There are great apps for data monitoring and I would suggest getting one. They can tell the difference between cellular and wifi and roaming data (roaming being the reason I use one).

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 07:14 PM
    New phone downloads the most recent os right away (I think) .
    There's a lot of data right there.
    Plus the apps, and your mail and that.

I would bet the wifi failed 3 times while trying to obtain an ip address and the phone reverted to cellular data.

There are great apps for data monitoring and I would suggest getting one. They can tell the difference between cellular and wifi and roaming data (roaming being the reason I use one).

Posted via CB10
    I like androids native data monitoring and control app
    I can even stop certain apps from accessing data and even cap my data or give warnings

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-22-14 07:19 PM
    When downloading something large or really anything at all, put the phone in airplane mode with wifi left ON. That way if wifi disconnects the download will stop and not get picked up by your network connection consuming data.
    ultra07 and MobileMadness002 like this.
    08-22-14 07:25 PM
    When downloading something large or really anything at all, put the phone in airplane mode with wifi left ON. That way if wifi disconnects the download will stop and not get picked up by your network connection consuming data.
    He's referring to the phone first setup. You don't even have access to settings yet

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-23-14 12:55 AM
    I want 400GB!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 06:25 AM
    He's referring to the phone first setup. You don't even have access to settings yet

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    You can SKIP through and then go back to Setup App
    08-23-14 05:49 PM
    You can SKIP through and then go back to Setup App
    How do you even skip if the phone does not even allow you to proceed until you have downloaded the latest OS?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-23-14 11:39 PM
    They warn you not to do initial set up over the network. You should have ensured that it stayed on wifi, if you remember in the setting menu you can restrict size if downloads and updates over the network. If I were you I would call the carrier and explain the situation they may reverse the charges

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:32 AM
    They warn you not to do initial set up over the network. You should have ensured that it stayed on wifi, if you remember in the setting menu you can restrict size if downloads and updates over the network. If I were you I would call the carrier and explain the situation they may reverse the charges

Posted via CB10
    Already have and they did...see the thread above.

Flicked out via Zed30
    08-24-14 03:54 PM

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Can't be associated with the initial setup as the op stated he was downloading offline maps.
    08-24-14 05:14 PM