I'm switching from a clamshell phone with Verizon to either a Storm 2 or Bold this weekend. What are the big differences between these phones? I understand some people may prefer the physical keyboard of a Bold or other designs like it but are there other reasons why people might not get a Storm 2 and opt for the traditional Blackberry models? I like the big screen on the Storm 2 but maybe there are advantages over the Bold style phones.

Thank you!
    Charlie
    charlie6067
    04-08-10 12:59 PM
    One BIG difference.....Storm CDMA = slow......Bold GSM = fast! I am kinda in the same boat as you. I have the 9530 S1 and Bell is releasing the S2 9550 so I was going to upgrade to that one only to find out it's CDMA as well! I want the HSPA network so basically my only option is Bold! I think I'm going to wait for something better to be released.
    04-08-10 01:03 PM
    I'm in the same boat as well, but I am on AT&T and want the Storm 2, although I would have to pay about 350.00 for it when I can get the bold for 9.99 off ebay cause I am ready for an upgrade.
    But I love touch screens and the big screen that the storm 2 has.
    So my option is the storm 2 pay 350.00 and use it on EDGE, or pay 9.99 get the bold 9700 and use it on 3G. These phones are pulling my limbs.

I really want the touch screen and will sacrifice 3G for it, but an extra $340.00 idk if it's worth it.

I've been stressing this decision for months now, and currently have a shattered samsung eternity that's driving me insane so I need a new one SOON!
    04-08-10 01:09 PM
    Correction: Storm 2 = CDMA OR GSM. I do not agree with your definitions of CDMA VS. GSM either. I don't know where the OP lives, but if it's in the US, I highly encourage you to go and read the January, 2010 Consumer Reports article. There, you'll find unbiased and complete info on the various carriers and both performance and service experiences. As to the two phones, do some searching here, there are THOUSANDS of posts discussing all of this. No need to rehash it here, it just always gets ugly.

One BIG difference.....Storm CDMA = slow......Bold GSM = fast! I am kinda in the same boat as you. I have the 9530 S1 and Bell is releasing the S2 9550 so I was going to upgrade to that one only to find out it's CDMA as well! I want the HSPA network so basically my only option is Bold! I think I'm going to wait for something better to be released.
    04-08-10 01:11 PM
    Correction: Storm 2 = CDMA OR GSM. I do not agree with your definitions of CDMA VS. GSM either. I don't know where the OP lives, but if it's in the US, I highly encourage you to go and read the January, 2010 Consumer Reports article. There, you'll find unbiased and complete info on the various carriers and both performance and service experiences. As to the two phones, do some searching here, there are THOUSANDS of posts discussing all of this. No need to rehash it here, it just always gets ugly.
    Either way, GSM will be slower on the Storm due to it being ramped down to EDGE. Unless the radio is magically tuned to AT&T or T-Mobile's 3G bands. I currently use a original Storm 9530 with T-Mobile. Web Browsing and other services are spotty at times, but the BlackBerry services work great despite being stuck on EDGE. I too love the larger screen. Video looks awesome on it along with good album art during music playback.
    04-08-10 01:28 PM
    If I were you I'd get the 9700 but that's just because I'm not a touch screen person I prefer the trackpad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 01:36 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. This was the type of info I was hoping for but had no way to find except through this forum.
    Charlie
    charlie6067
    04-08-10 01:53 PM
    The Storm has been the best phone I've owned. Play with both at a store and get whichever you like the best. Both are great devices.
    04-08-10 04:52 PM
    I would prefer by taking bold but , it depends wich bold are you getting I had a STORM and it was slow not enough space + it was crakking and braking easily
    if you got BOLD it will be faster more space

so i prefer to get Bold then storm
    04-08-10 05:10 PM
    Bold 9700 for sure!
    04-08-10 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD