09-16-09 05:53 PM
41 12
  1. tauress21's Avatar
    I only have 70% alcohol so I have to go to the store and pick up the 100% alcohol. Thank you all very much for all the advice!

    I really miss my berry and hope it does eventually work
    09-12-09 07:37 PM
  2. Radius's Avatar
    I only have 70% alcohol so I have to go to the store and pick up the 100% alcohol. Thank you all very much for all the advice!

    I really miss my berry and hope it does eventually work
    Not a problem.

    And ya, stay away form the 70%.

    You may want to scrub the board a bit, and I highly recommend an ESD brush, in a pinch use a fine horsehair brush from an art store. NOT, and I repeat NOT one with plastic bristles as they can accumulate a static charge. Rub in between all the legs of the IC's and make sure it's really clean.
    09-12-09 07:56 PM
  3. mwcurl's Avatar
    Don't Flush
    09-12-09 09:35 PM
  4. muse126's Avatar
    I dropped my iPhone in a (clean) toilet last week where I watched it fully submerge. I had to make important calls right after so I didn't bother keeping it off and drying it out. Hope your as LUCKY as I was... but there's some hope as my phone is still working flawlessly.
    Last edited by energie; 09-13-09 at 12:05 AM.
    09-13-09 12:03 AM
  5. Sue88's Avatar
    I would also reiterate: Let it dry for a LONG TIME (a week is not unreasonable). My phone got a bath and I let it dry (sitting on a radiant heated floor) until I could see absolutely no more condensation behind the screen. It was 5 or 6 days, I think ( and it was in as many pieces as possible--battery out, door left off etc.) When I reassembled it it worked perfectly and continues to work now. I think it was at least a year ago when this happened. BE PATIENT.
    09-13-09 11:33 AM
  6. CalxDesign's Avatar
    Kuskus works better than rice, this has happened to me twice.
    09-13-09 04:43 PM
  7. d-tech007's Avatar
    I feel for you, i did exactly the same thing about 24hrs ago.

    I was quick off the mark to disconnected the battery, dried as best i could, left it in rice overnight and out in the open on a breezy bright day, fired it up and all works perfect.

    I can't belive it, was sure i had lost it for good but its running perfect.

    Hope it all turn out ok for you.
    09-13-09 05:00 PM
  8. thick_shape's Avatar
    It will work again! Shake ALL the water out, and keep blow drying, and dont use it for like a day. Let it dry completely.
    09-13-09 06:03 PM
  9. gmkahuna's Avatar
    I work with electronics all day too.

    The rice trick works only because rice acts as a dessicant on a small scale. In an emergency you should use this, but only in an emergency. (a dessicant is simply a moisture removal agent)

    100% alcohol is ALWAYS better than rice. It is one of the best dessicants on the planet. It also will disinfect any micro organisms that now inhabit your phone. Once you do this, thry to stand the phone up on one end so that nothing pools in the phone too. This is a much preferred method to cleaning your phone.

    Last thing, DO NOT USE an air hose or anything like that to dry it out. Most of those if they do not have dessicant filtration on them will simply blow more moisture into your equipment. Canned compressed air in very short bursts if you absolutely have to use something like that, otherwise let it dry on its own.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 09-13-09 at 06:25 PM.
    09-13-09 06:22 PM
  10. Margebird's Avatar
    So, I was here at your forums just to see if you had any good ideas on fixing a "sunken" smartphone. Well, I followed your suggestion using the rice...Uncle Ben's converted rice (original). Bought a box of it a day after it had fallen into the toilet (clean) water. I stuck it (my iPod Touch) into the box, deep inside, and let it sit for 3 days. When I took it out of the rice, it all worked! I couldn't believe it! I thought I was out $400.00!!!! Just to let you all know.
    09-14-09 07:44 PM
  11. Radius's Avatar
    I would like to add one more thing, some people have their phone dunked in salt water which is about as bad as it gets.

    If you cannot get rubbing alcohol in there quickly, get to the store and buy distilled water. Pour that through the phone. It will wash out the salts until you can get it cleaned properly.

    Just a little FYI.
    09-14-09 08:42 PM
  12. anon(193652)'s Avatar
    It helps somewhat, but it is a... haha... **** poor solution.

    The minerals in the water are what kills the device, not tha water itself. When the water evaporates the beads around the IC legs contain all the minerals. Get two beads together and the minerals form a bridge that can conduct electricity and cause the device the die.

    The best course is to bathe the board in 100% alcohol to clean it. When a board comes off the assembly line that is what they use to scrub the flux off it anyhow, that is what ahppens at my workplace 1000+ times a day so I know it works.

    in fact we used to clean our boards in a dish washer after each run just to make things go faster, then scrub them with alcohol before powering them up. Worked like a charm.
    wow ... learn something new everyday. i'm definitely trying this the next times someone that works with me does this
    09-14-09 09:01 PM
  13. berryite's Avatar
    My phone fell in ...
    I hope you're not planning to fish it out ... just press the handle and get a new one.

    09-14-09 10:22 PM
  14. rimzie_84's Avatar
    Lol good answer!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 03:21 AM
  15. berryspun's Avatar
    great advice...hope I never have to use it.alcohol makes the most sense to me...with my luck instead of dropping it into a toilet it will fall into a portapotty or park outhouse....no fishing that out LOL
    09-15-09 06:18 AM
  16. tauress21's Avatar
    Whoo hoo! My blackberry bold survived!!!! It's flawless!!

    I left it in the rice for about 40 hours and if it didn't work I would've taken it apart and used the alcohol but luckily I didn't. There were just a few water marks on the screen which was only there for a day and it's now all gone and my phone is back to normal.

    I was close to getting a new phone but thank God I didn't have to resort to that.

    Thanks a ton to all for the advice!!! =D
    09-16-09 05:53 PM
41 12