My phone fell into water and it's not working, I'm scared that it won't work anymore. Is there any hope for it? =(
    09-11-09 11:21 PM
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. Put it in a bag of rice and managed to get it working long enough to get my contacts/pics from it.

If you have insurance, get a new phone and tell them you were by a pool or something.

If not, you can do what I did... and get a new phone/service
    09-11-09 11:22 PM
    ok I put it in rice. Before that I tried putting the battery back in and it made this weird sound and the led right was on awhile and then it kept blinking so I removed the battery. Then I blow dried the phone for a little bit.

I don't have insurance on it and I really don't want to get another phone +(
    09-11-09 11:31 PM
    DO NOT TURN IT ON!

Keep it in the rice for at least 8 or 12 hours...then re insert battery and pray.

PS.make sure the bag is sealed
    09-11-09 11:35 PM
    Never blow dry a wet phone - that can actually push the water further in. Putting it in rice is the best thing. Leave it in there for a couple days, just to be safe. Always keep the battery out - never put it back in right after getting wet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 11:38 PM
    Before or after #2?

Seriously though, rice will not help much. I could write pages on surface tension and like effects of water and the minerals contained within but no one cares.

Take a tub of 100% rubbing alcohol, remove the battery and throw it in there for a few minutes. Dry it for 24 hours and turn it on. In fact, swish it around in there a lot. Shake it. Do anything you can to permeate the device with the alcohol.

Longer than 24 hours if the temperature in your home is not so good. Bottom line, make sure the alcohol evaporates first.
    09-11-09 11:41 PM
    Before or after #2?

Seriously though, rice will not help much. I could write pages on surface tension and like effects of water and the minerals contained within but no one cares.

Take a tub of 100% rubbing alcohol, remove the battery and throw it in there for a few minutes. Dry it for 24 hours and turn it on. In fact, swish it around in there a lot. Shake it. Do anything you can to permeate the device with the alcohol.

Longer than 24 hours if the temperature in your home is not so good. Bottom line, make sure the alcohol evaporates first.
    Um...if it pulls out all the water,I'd say it helps a ton?

It did on my BlackBerry...
    09-11-09 11:44 PM
    Remember to put lid down and go buy new phone
    09-11-09 11:47 PM
    Unfortunately you just may have to bite the bullet and get another phone. Water usually destroys electronics unless it is distilled.

The best thing to do is get distilled water and swish it around in there.
    09-11-09 11:51 PM
    I'm going to pray the rice works, I'm going to leave it in there for a 48 hours. It just sucks =(
    09-11-09 11:53 PM
    Um...if it pulls out all the water,I'd say it helps a ton?

It did on my BlackBerry...
    It helps somewhat, but it is a... haha... **** poor solution.

The minerals in the water are what kills the device, not tha water itself. When the water evaporates the beads around the IC legs contain all the minerals. Get two beads together and the minerals form a bridge that can conduct electricity and cause the device the die.

The best course is to bathe the board in 100% alcohol to clean it. When a board comes off the assembly line that is what they use to scrub the flux off it anyhow, that is what ahppens at my workplace 1000+ times a day so I know it works.

in fact we used to clean our boards in a dish washer after each run just to make things go faster, then scrub them with alcohol before powering them up. Worked like a charm.
    09-11-09 11:58 PM
    That sucks to drop the phone in water, good luck getting it working again
    09-12-09 12:01 AM

The minerals in the water are what kills the device, not tha water itself. When the water evaporates the beads around the IC legs contain all the minerals. Get two beads together and the minerals form a bridge that can conduct electricity and cause the device the die.

The best course is to bathe the board in 100% alcohol to clean it. When a board comes off the assembly line that is what they use to scrub the flux off it anyhow, that is what ahppens at my workplace 1000+ times a day so I know it works.

in fact we used to clean our boards in a dish washer after each run just to make things go faster, then scrub them with alcohol before powering them up. Worked like a charm.
    Ah,I see what you're saying...
    09-12-09 12:02 AM
    That sucks to drop the phone in water, good luck getting it working again
    I still wanna know, #1 or #2?
    09-12-09 12:02 AM
    flush it!!!!!!!!
    09-12-09 12:03 AM

...but how will the alcohol affect all the other components of a blackberry, i.e. lcd screen, speaker, etc?
    09-12-09 12:04 AM
    ...but how will the alcohol affect all the other components of a blackberry, i.e. lcd screen, speaker, etc?
    Ok, overall it should do nothing. I have never seen the alcohol affect anything we have ever used at work. An LCD screen is not so delicate you know, it is a piece of glass with an IC. Sealed is the point.

Speakers should not be affected, at its core a speaker is a piece of wire and a magnet in a housing, and some paper covering it. Alcohol won;t degrade that unless you leave it in there for a long time. A week anyhow. As I say, it has never hurt anything we do at my work and we use many components including a piezo electric buzzer.

Loko at it this way, it's already damaged so what have you to lose?
    09-12-09 12:27 AM
    you might have to go buy another one. Start with Craiglist and Ebay.
    09-12-09 12:31 AM
    Up to my experience alcohol is the best solution as alcohol will eliminate the mineral contained in the water. An alcohol evaporate easily.

Good luck...
    09-12-09 01:11 AM
    Ok here is my input. I work in electronics and I do support the alcohol thing but just be aware that if there are any rubber components in the device, track ball coating, seals etc. that alcohol will cause the rubber to become more brittle and could render it ineffective in what it is being used for, like a seal would not work as effective if introduced to alcohol repeatedly. It would become brittle and not do its job. Not sure if the BB has any rubber components in it or not, I would not think so but I could be wrong. As another user stated, Heck its fubar now so you got nothing to lose.

Julian
    09-12-09 11:43 AM
    I've dropped my BB into a river before. First thing is DO NOT TURN IT ON. Take it apart a much as you can without screwing and let it dry out for AT LEAST a week.

It should work after it dries out, this has happen to be more than once and my cell phones always worked after it fully dried out. And, it does take about 5-7 days so be patient.
    09-12-09 11:54 AM
    I would take the alcohol route since it been IN A TOILET and if you get it working again it will be TOUCHING YOUR FACE!
    Granted rice does remove the water but the phone will still die of corrosion later on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 12:50 PM
    We wash circut boards at work in alcohol all the time. Alcohol is the best was to remove the corrosive elements.
    09-12-09 02:46 PM
    The toilet was clean when it fell in there. I'm trying the rice for now and I really don't know what to do next, there are so many options! lol

I'm already tempted in turning it on and seeing what happens but I have to be patient.

Do you think it's too late to take it apart and clean it with alcohol?

If not, I'll take it out of the rice and start taking it apart.
    09-12-09 06:11 PM
    The toilet was clean when it fell in there. I'm trying the rice for now and I really don't know what to do next, there are so many options! lol

I'm already tempted in turning it on and seeing what happens but I have to be patient.

Do you think it's too late to take it apart and clean it with alcohol?

If not, I'll take it out of the rice and start taking it apart.
    There are 3 people on this thread so far (unless I lost count) that work with electronics and have given you the best answer anyone can give. Ditch the rice now, it is no good, only folklore. The reason it works is because some people get LUCKY. That's it.

Go the alcohol route, 100% pure rubbing alcohol. It's like $2 at the local pharmacy for a good size bottle.

Good luck!
    09-12-09 06:28 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD