Phablets are the new "IT". Except for Q20, BlackBerry make all future phones phablets.-cell-phone-1990.jpg

Yep, this is what dumb phone use to look like and guess what people were happy to have it. Not only was the phone huge but it was also heavy.

Based on all trend indicators, phablets will be the new it by the end of this calender year 2014. The phablet market is currently dominated by Android and this market is still at the infancy stage. It's not secret that Apple is soon rumoured to be introducing iPhone 6 as a phablet and we can all safely assume that Apple more than likely conducted a thorough market research.

The phablet market will be huge and many analysts are corroborating it with statements like this extract from CBCNEWS - Technology & Science "The "it" in this case is a phablet, a device that's part smartphone, part tablet and one that financial services giant Deloitte has predicted will outsell both tablets and gaming consoles around the world this year, to the tune of nearly $125 billion."

BlackBerry's probable last chance to stay relevant in the mobile device market is to get on this "Phablet Train" right now, like in this year, before the train leaves the station. Apple can smell the coffee and is getting on the train. I equate BlackBerry's 5" Z3 & Z30 has just getting to the train station but not boarding on the train yet. Except for Q20, all or most of other future mobile devices should be no less 5.2" screen size.

Finally for all those who are resisting changes to BB phablet size phones, the irony is that you guys will be first ones to accept those phablets sizes on iPhones and Android. Like anything else in life, with time, you will get use to using two hands to type or surf your phones. People were happy in the 90's, so would you in the future.

If you don't agree, please feel free to tell me why.
    03-25-14 09:51 AM
    That's not a phone, THIS is a phone!

bigbadben10 likes this.
    03-25-14 09:57 AM
    I don't have big hands, and I need a hand free. If the only smartphones available have a 5"+ screen, I simply won't use one.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-25-14 09:58 AM
    I disagree, because I feel phablet size is a horrible size for easy usage, and a strange tradeoff. It does neither phone work or tablet work as efficiently as those devices, and does not really bring other benefits I can think of.

And of course asking to limit future phone development only to phablets fits in exactly with the current consumer mindset: "durrrr less choice please, choice is hard, my brain hurts." IMO the same reason BBM is struggling.
    And it is also the reason I see for smartwatches being so popular. People feel like they "must have" the new trend, and then they also have to buy a small external screen because they want to handle that cumbersome phablet device as little as possible.

Tl;dr - they should just keep making regular sized phones (and possibly tablets), because not everyone is a fan of intermediary devices.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    03-25-14 10:02 AM
    I hate phablets. I can't take an adult male in a suit seriously when I see one with a giant phablet. Poor guy, he doesn't know. But I agree. The success of the Z30 (non-crackberry reviews) indicates that the masses want giant phones. Just leave a normal sized phone available in keyboard/and slate styles available for the handsome and productive BlackBerry users out there.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-25-14 10:10 AM
    You want to use a dinner plate for a phone? Go ahead.

I'll be using my Q10. I was not even a BlackBerry user before and one big reason for getting the Q10 was it's small size.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    03-25-14 10:13 AM
    I just want a Q10 size phone with Z30 specs or better

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    03-25-14 10:22 AM
    Let's face it the huge smart phone market has several profitable segments. You can make money in some or all of them. The more you're in the higher your costs, but the better your brand presence and perception. Not sure personally how it makes sense to pull the PlayBook and then try and launch a phablet. They obviously see the retreat to enterprise and services as being their best shot at survival/profitability. I doubt we will see costly, random punts in other markets.
    03-25-14 10:31 AM
    That's not a phone, THIS is a phone!

Hahahaha. Very good one....and good movie too.
    03-25-14 10:32 AM
    I disagree, because I feel phablet size is a horrible size for easy usage, and a strange tradeoff. It does neither phone work or tablet work as efficiently as those devices, and does not really bring other benefits I can think of.

And of course asking to limit future phone development only to phablets fits in exactly with the current consumer mindset: "durrrr less choice please, choice is hard, my brain hurts." IMO the same reason BBM is struggling.
    And it is also the reason I see for smartwatches being so popular. People feel like they "must have" the new trend, and then they also have to buy a small external screen because they want to handle that cumbersome phablet device as little as possible.

Tl;dr - they should just keep making regular sized phones (and possibly tablets), because not everyone is a fan of intermediary devices.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    I kinda agree with you but unfortunately there are not too of you out there to sustain BlackBerry's viability. Isn't your same reasoning that BlackBerry used with BBM going cross platform that has ultimately cost them dearly?
    03-25-14 10:37 AM
    I don't have big hands, and I need a hand free. If the only smartphones available have a 5"+ screen, I simply won't use one.

Posted via CB10
    I bet you can't go without a phone for even 24 hrs.
    03-25-14 10:40 AM
    I bet you can't go without a phone for even 24 hrs.
    I couldn't. I'd just have to use a dumbphone, as I won't use a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-25-14 10:44 AM
    Let's face it the huge smart phone market has several profitable segments. You can make money in some or all of them. The more you're in the higher your costs, but the better your brand presence and perception. Not sure personally how it makes sense to pull the PlayBook and then try and launch a phablet. They obviously see the retreat to enterprise and services as being their best shot at survival/profitability. I doubt we will see costly, random punts in other markets.
    The Playbook is all but dead. The phablet is a mid ground and is still up for grabs. Apple is going for it now.
    03-25-14 10:45 AM
    I couldn't. I'd just have to use a dumbphone, as I won't use a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    Just curious, have you ever tried out a Z30? If yes, what's your thought about it, size wise?
    03-25-14 10:47 AM
    You want to use a dinner plate for a phone? Go ahead.

I'll be using my Q10. I was not even a BlackBerry user before and one big reason for getting the Q10 was it's small size.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    That's fine because you will still have the Q20, Q5 and your Q10 as your choices.
    03-25-14 10:50 AM
    I've played around with a Z30, and despite it's quickness, it's just too big for me. It doesn't feel comfortable in the hand, and I much prefer the backing on my Z10 to the Z30. Seeing all these people walking around with a tablet stuck to their head just makes me laugh - maybe if BB is the only one making reasonable-sized phones (4-4.5"?) people will come back, just for the form-factor alone.
    03-25-14 10:54 AM
    I hate phablets. I can't take an adult male in a suit seriously when I see one with a giant phablet. Poor guy, he doesn't know. But I agree. The success of the Z30 (non-crackberry reviews) indicates that the masses want giant phones. Just leave a normal sized phone available in keyboard/and slate styles available for the handsome and productive BlackBerry users out there.
    Just curious, what sizes would the "ugly and productive BlackBerry users out there" have? Please don't take my question personal or seriously.
    03-25-14 10:54 AM
    I've played around with a Z30, and despite it's quickness, it's just too big for me. It doesn't feel comfortable in the hand, and I much prefer the backing on my Z10 to the Z30. Seeing all these people walking around with a tablet stuck to their head just makes me laugh - maybe if BB is the only one making reasonable-sized phones (4-4.5"?) people will come back, just for the form-factor alone.
    Honestly, do you really think iPhone or Android users will switch to BlackBerry "just for the form-factor alone"? Wall Street analysts are projecting that the iPhone 6 phablet will increase the percentage of iPhone users who will upgrade.
    03-25-14 11:02 AM
    the future of phones lies in halogram projections from a device that fits on the wrist like a watch or in the palm like a glove....lets see who gets it out first....
    03-25-14 11:18 AM
    Just curious, have you ever tried out a Z30? If yes, what's your thought about it, size wise?
    No, I haven't. I don't really like touchscreens, anyway though. Used to have an HTC One S, and it was about as big as I'm comfortable with.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 11:24 AM
    I think the Z30 is a great size. Large enough I can easily see and enjoy the screen but not so big that I can't use with one hand, although I admit it was easier to use my Z10 with one hand. I don't think I would want a phone larger than my Z30.
    03-25-14 11:29 AM
    Honestly, do you really think iPhone or Android users will switch to BlackBerry "just for the form-factor alone"? Wall Street analysts are projecting that the iPhone 6 phablet will increase the percentage of iPhone users who will upgrade.
    Apple won't be introducing a phablet, sure the next iPhone will have a larger display, that's a given, but they won't be going phablet. It's one of those rumours that never pan out, like the iWatch launching last year, the iPads having TouchID, and I recall them saying a larger iPhone would come last year too.

Besides that, phablets are just a fad. If you look at the devices sold each quarter, devices with 5" and up screens are in a small minority as opposed to the rest of the market, I mean the "tiny" iPhone managed 150 million sales in 2013: Apple Sold 150 Million iPhones, 71 Million iPads in 2013 Sure, it's mostly fans, but the point is there. BlackBerry loyalists don't want Xperia Z Ultra sized devices, the Z30 is the absolute max, most prefer smaller devices though...
    03-25-14 12:37 PM
    They also said tablets were the future, yet we're seeing more laptop hybrids like the surface. Tablets and phablets are for pleasure, not business.

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-25-14 01:05 PM
    Please no. I use an iPhone 5S for a reason. It's fast, snug and cab use it comfortably with one hand. I use the Z10 for the same reason as well. I'm finding it extremely difficult to replace my iPhone with the Z30 indefinitely mainly due to the size. This new super sized phone fad is useless. We want phones we can use not Portable tv's in our pockets.

Posted via CB10 on my rocking Z30.
    europolska00 likes this.
    03-25-14 01:12 PM
    I hear the next Galaxy Note will come with a vesa mount on the back so you can use it as a TV.

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-25-14 01:22 PM
32 12