I would be interested to know peoples views on the potential market for Phablets.
    Firstly I suppose the definition would be any device that has a screen size of over 4.6 inches but in reality I would say any device that can't be used one handed or unobtrusively fit in a trouser pocket.
    Personally I'm not a fan as it's a compromise between a phone and a Tablet. It's interesting that it's only the Android OEMs heading down that route.
    01-22-13 03:07 PM
    Not a fan, but that's just me. Honestly, 4.3 inches is pushing it for my tastes. . . . but I'll get used to it! Bring it on, Z10!
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-22-13 03:39 PM
    Well obviously many handset companies think so.... Personally I think many may be over estimating the market for them.... screen size for many people matters but I think true protability is as well.... I know when I bought my BB is was due to portability.... but then that is just me...
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 01-22-13 at 04:09 PM.
    01-22-13 03:55 PM
    I think Mr. Big Hands could handle a laptop and make it look like a regular smartphone!

The industry I am in has seen a "foolcircle" change from open-plan to private about every seven years or so. Car manufacturers do about the same thing with the size of cars/trucks. I get the feeling consumer electronics will be the same way. Once the technology is figured out you see about a 60-40 split based upon need. Sometimes I wish my Playbook was a phone, but I wouldn't want to use it as my daily driver.
    01-22-13 03:57 PM
    The question for me is, are tablets, in their current form, here to stay? I think that at a processing level they are a duplication of what can be done on a phone , just in a bigger format (well heading in that direction anyway) or PC. If thin and portable devices are preferable then they may need to become more 'monitor' than PC, processing might be done by what ever device is close enough to it to communicate. RIM is pushing towards a hyper connected world, so the tablet may evolve into a protable monitor, with most of it's processing power being driven more remotely, the portable computing platform would like begin driving monitors everywhere. Imagine if you had your phone, it tells the electronic world around it who you are, what you like, dislike, are looking for or what every and as you draw near to a display it brings up information of interest to you? Your connected car automatically configures itself for you, reads your agenda and brings a map and traffic conditions (this isn't that new a thought). Oh I could go on.
    01-22-13 04:04 PM
    If you are allowed to watch the Lakers game while doing analysis and programming at work
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-22-13 04:05 PM
    I sure hope not. The whole notion of Phablets seem very awkward to me. Netbooks was a similar "hybrid" and I'm glad for the most part it has died.

Projective displays with adjustable opacity is where I'd like to see technology to go.
    01-22-13 04:09 PM
    Not as far as I'm concerned. Too big for a phone, we're talking 5" plus to be a phablet?, and too small for a tablet. At least for me.
    01-22-13 04:10 PM
    not my future. i actually quite like the dividing lines between my 9900 and my playbook.

if it were one device i'd be charging it every 2-3hrs.
    01-22-13 04:36 PM
    I will always need a PC or laptop to do work. Tablets won't get all my work done, so I will always need both.
    01-22-13 04:56 PM
    I think phablets will remain a niche device for some time. I don't even think 7-10 inch tablets are the "future" quite yet. Will more manufacturers start making phablet sized devices? I think so, just to throw their offering into the ring. Kind of like how more and more are entering the tablet space.
    Toodeurep and jakie55 like this.
    01-22-13 04:56 PM
    Are phablets the future? I hope not. Because that would mean we're headed towards this (size-wise):

01-22-13 05:18 PM
    It does seem like the market is being forced in that direction as that seems to be the only way to get high-end specs for an android phone these days, but a definition of 4.6" seems a little small for something to be labelled a phablet with 5" probably being a fairer starting point.

Here's hoping that there is a market for slightly smaller phones with a good spec or bb10 is in trouble.
    01-22-13 05:23 PM
    Well I read this morning that the Galaxy S IV will be 5' and the possible Apple 5S a 4.8 screen so uh I'm guessing yeah phablets are becoming the future because afterall Thor must had seen a 10 year vision for his Mobile Computing System. Plus he said we won't need a laptop in 3 years.
    01-22-13 05:23 PM
    Well I read this morning that the Galaxy S IV will be 5' and the possible Apple 5S a 4.8 screen so uh I'm guessing yeah phablets are becoming the future because afterall Thor must had seen a 10 year vision for his Mobile Computing System. Plus he said we won't need a laptop in 3 years.
    I don't think he meant we will do every thing on a small screen when he said we won't need a laptop though. I was thinking he meant more of plugging in or wirelessly accessing larger monitors and screens in various places
    01-22-13 05:27 PM
    I would laugh out loud if I heard anyone say that phablets can replace computers.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-22-13 05:32 PM
    not unless pockets get bigger!
    01-22-13 05:32 PM
    About 4.2 or 4.3 is the maximum width for for me. I have a Galaxy S3 but I prefer to carry the Galaxy Blaze because the S3 is just too wide. My old Sensation seemed the perfect size.
    01-22-13 05:36 PM
    RIM's leadership and I were wrong about touchscreens. So far, I have been wrong about tablets. Thus, while I don't really liked phablets, I have learned to avoid assuming things I do not appreciate won't succeed.

I think there is a market, and RIM should evaluate it.
    01-22-13 05:50 PM
    I don't know if "phablets" are the future, but I don't foresee it being a part of mine. My phone at 4.7inches already feels too large and cumbersome. I'd rather have a compact phone that's easy to use with one hand, along with a laptop (which I'm currently looking to buy) for when I'm in need of a larger screen.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 01-22-13 at 06:44 PM.
    01-22-13 06:13 PM
    Ideally, you would be able to take whatever you were doing on the phone, do a flick gesture to send it to a tablet, continue on there, and not need the phone again until you flick whatever you were doing on the tablet back to the phone.
    01-22-13 06:22 PM
    RIM's leadership and I were wrong about touchscreens. So far, I have been wrong about tablets. Thus, while I don't really liked phablets, I have learned to avoid assuming things I do not appreciate won't succeed.

I think there is a market, and RIM should evaluate it.
    Oh I agree. Just because I don't think it's for me along with many more there are probably just as many that do.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-22-13 06:54 PM
    Are phablets the future? I hope not. Because that would mean we're headed towards this (size-wise):

http://geek.digestradar.com/uploadfi...ac-8000x_2.jpg
    I REMEMBER that phone.....had one.....worked like a charm....and I got a workout at the same time. (Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for Motorola)
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-23-13 08:46 AM
    I think 4 to 4.5 is the sweet spot any bigger is just too much. I think RIM and the latest iphone, and certain androids have it just right. 5 or larger is just too big for a phone!
    01-23-13 08:53 AM
    Are Phablets the future?-1983-2013.jpg
    ten characters
    bluetroll and berryaddictnoza like this.
    01-23-13 09:16 AM
68 123