Peter Misek during an interview on BNN:

BlackBerry software revenue set to double on Feb. 1: Misek - BNN News

This is another elephant in the room that many do not see.

This is going to be a huge week for BlackBerry. Waiting for the official announcements tomorrow
    11-11-14 07:34 AM
    Yup, I'm tired of just about every analyst pointing to "device sales", its refreshing to see an analyst who has bashed BB in the past, actually amazed to witness the turnaround and "CIO's showing interest again", this can only bode well for BB and translate into software and device sales.

Well done, Chen.
    thymaster likes this.
    11-11-14 07:44 AM
    They might double in services from bes12 but they will loose a lot from bis disappearing

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-11-14 07:46 AM
    Thanks for the feed.
    11-11-14 07:46 AM
    They might double in services from bes12 but they will loose a lot from bis disappearing

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    BIS disappearing is something inevitable.. you cannot stop that. BlackBerry is not (and probably never be again) in the position to charge carriers for a subscription fee.

This is exactly why it BES doubling revenues (or so they hope) it is an awesome news. They need to offset BIS and they are slowing succeeding.

Mr Chen remarked this aspect many times in the last interviews. Media simple do not get it.. and they are still evaluating BlackBerry exclusively from handset sales .

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 08:05 AM
    and when you think about it, CitronResearch.com predicted that in January!
    3_M4N likes this.
    11-11-14 08:19 AM
    thanks for sharing.... some additional videos as well on the site:
    The Internet of Things: John Chen's next frontier
    John Chen: $15/share for BlackBerry is 'way undervalued' Up Next 6 : 38
    11-11-14 08:38 AM
    the so called Analysts will definitely turnaround and with that the likes of BGR will also take their head out of their As***
    DavideaNY and neteng1000 like this.
    11-11-14 08:46 AM
    the so called Analysts will definitely turnaround and with that the likes of BGR will also take their head out of their As***
    Must be quite painful for those BGR guys.... with their foot in their mouths and heads up their as*es

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:37 AM
    Wasn't there 800 million a year in royalty payments etc coming to an end this November? This CFO mentioned this at the annual meeting in July. I haven't heard anything about it since. Taking it into account, if true, along with bes12 perceived future revenue, I can see why John is confident in their survival. It also coincides with the Ontario pension funds recent stake. Game on.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 12:01 PM
    Wasn't there 800 million a year in royalty payments etc coming to an end this November? This CFO mentioned this at the annual meeting in July. I haven't heard anything about it since. Taking it into account, if true, along with bes12 perceived future revenue, I can see why John is confident in their survival. It also coincides with the Ontario pension funds recent stake. Game on.

Posted via CB10
    Game on indeed.

Eventually as the company starts to make a solid profit on a quarterly basis analysts, tech bloggers and investors will look at device sales less and less. Really, does it matter how they make money as long as they are making it?
    11-11-14 05:01 PM
    BIS disappearing is something inevitable.. you cannot stop that. BlackBerry is not (and probably never be again) in the position to charge carriers for a subscription fee.
    Agreed. If mighty Apple and Samsung do not charge a service fee in their current glory, then BB can not expect to do this no matter how successful BB10 ever becomes.

With that said, in the long term, if they could get BB10 to play nice with their BIS infrastructure they may be able to get the subscriber to pay a monthly fee to use BIS. I would imagine this option would be popular in markets where data is still expensive and the compression of BIS is valued highly.
    11-11-14 05:05 PM
    Agreed. If mighty Apple and Samsung do not charge a service fee in their current glory, then BB can not expect to do this no matter how successful BB10 ever becomes.

With that said, in the long term, if they could get BB10 to play nice with their BIS infrastructure they may be able to get the subscriber to pay a monthly fee to use BIS. I would imagine this option would be popular in markets where data is still expensive and the compression of BIS is valued highly.
    I could not make any sense of your comment. You seem to have time warped from 2008 to the present.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:09 PM
    The key is, IF.....and that's still a big if, they are truly successful with BES12, then they will be pulling in revenue for corporate users of not just BlackBerry but also iOS, Android, and Windows phones. So they might not have the hardware volume and BIS revenue per handset, but they'll have a much higher per handset revenue from BES license fees. So a lot rides on how successful they are at making BES a success. I personally think they will be successful.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    11-11-14 09:27 PM
    I could not make any sense of your comment. You seem to have time warped from 2008 to the present.

Posted via CB10
    The days of service revenue are over from a carrier paying Blackberry perspective. However, if Blackberry could ever get BB10 to work with BIS then they could offer it as an optional add on service that the customer could opt into and pay for if they really wanted it.

My Samsung and Apple comparison was only saying that despite their popularity today they don't charge any type of extra fees to the carriers, so BB10 can't expect to either.
    11-11-14 10:05 PM
    John Chen is aware of this and this is why he's telling investors and analyst that he's writing off services that are losing money slowly and pushing forward services that's making money. So if you're losing one source of income doesn't mean you can't venture out and fine another source of income. Which is where this BES 12 and BBM channels comes in to attract a new kind of shareholders.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-12-14 01:40 PM
    I get it and I have built a huge highly leveraged position on BlackBerry...
    11-12-14 01:43 PM
    I started the leverage position at $5.20/share, built upon it at $7/share and $9.10/share and now at $11.20/share.
    11-12-14 01:44 PM
    I started the leverage position at $5.20/share, built upon it at $7/share and $9.10/share and now at $11.20/share.
    Lucky you got in THAT low...
    Or just good gut feeling.

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-12-14 02:59 PM
    Eventually as the company starts to make a solid profit on a quarterly basis analysts, tech bloggers and investors will look at device sales less and less. Really, does it matter how they make money as long as they are making it?
    For the company overall, if they are making money, and the products aren't about to be obsoleted, then they're in good shape.

But as the percentage of revenues from devices drops, there becomes less and less incentive to continue producing them. With BES 12 able to manage (and thus get revenue) from iOS and Android, and with more and more apps being Android apps, it it very conceivable that BB's need to make their own phones goes away completely, especially as sales volumes continue to drop. If Enterprise can accomplish their mission with BES 12 and iOS/Android, why buy BB phones?

BB moving to a software and services company is good for the company financially and good for investors, but it isn't really a good thing from the perspective of your average CrackBerry user, who, despite lots of talk, is really a fan of the handsets far above any other BB products. Most aren't investors, and only care that BB is doing well inasmuch as it means that BB will continue to produce phones. If the phone business ends, most of those people won't really care how well the company is doing or how great BES 12 is, and CrackBerry will become a ghost town much like WebOS Central.

So, yeah, that is why people here are concerned.
    11-12-14 03:12 PM
    For the company overall, if they are making money, and the products aren't about to be obsoleted, then they're in good shape.

But as the percentage of revenues from devices drops, there becomes less and less incentive to continue producing them. With BES 12 able to manage (and thus get revenue) from iOS and Android, and with more and more apps being Android apps, it it very conceivable that BB's need to make their own phones goes away completely, especially as sales volumes continue to drop. If Enterprise can accomplish their mission with BES 12 and iOS/Android, why buy BB phones?

BB moving to a software and services company is good for the company financially and good for investors, but it isn't really a good thing from the perspective of your average CrackBerry user, who, despite lots of talk, is really a fan of the handsets far above any other BB products. Most aren't investors, and only care that BB is doing well inasmuch as it means that BB will continue to produce phones. If the phone business ends, most of those people won't really care how well the company is doing or how great BES 12 is, and CrackBerry will become a ghost town much like WebOS Central.

Cut the crap Troy, what world are you in now by ignoring Passport and coming Classic? Wake up and buy a Passport to try if you have the money.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:33 PM
    11-12-14 03:40 PM

I see where you are coming from. With that said, I firmly believe there will always be demand for BB10 devices from highly security conscious governments and corporations. I can't ever see the day where Angela Merkel will be using an S5 or iPhone 6. Chen himself has said this numerous times. He wants to be able to provide an E2E solution to customers that demand that level of security. Chen has also said that BB only needs to sell 10 million devices per year to make money. I believe this is attainable. I think in the beginning he wanted to get out of the handset business ASAP, but as he grew to learn about BB and how the whole security solution worked he realized that the HW business, despite being a PITA, was a necessary piece of the overall puzzle. I'll also add, assuming that the SW and services business takes off, it could also help to fund the smaller HW business. In retail terms, the HW business would be like a loss leader. A necessary evil to get some customers (security conscious ones) in the front door.

I agree, that as fans of this site we do not want to lose our BB10 phones. Success in software and services are a means to keep the HW business around. I truly believe BB needs to hang in there with BB10 for at another 3.5 years before making a final decision. If the OS continues to make the same types of strides that it has in the last 18 months, then we will all be in for quite a treat.
    11-12-14 03:52 PM

I believe that Chen has spoken before about the importance of 'end to end' security. I think BlackBerry will be making handsets for a long time yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 06:18 PM
    I see where you are coming from. With that said, I firmly believe there will always be demand for BB10 devices from highly security conscious governments and corporations. I can't ever see the day where Angela Merkel will be using an S5 or iPhone 6. Chen himself has said this numerous times. He wants to be able to provide an E2E solution to customers that demand that level of security. Chen has also said that BB only needs to sell 10 million devices per year to make money. I believe this is attainable. I think in the beginning he wanted to get out of the handset business ASAP, but as he grew to learn about BB and how the whole security solution worked he realized that the HW business, despite being a PITA, was a necessary piece of the overall puzzle. I'll also add, assuming that the SW and services business takes off, it could also help to fund the smaller HW business. In retail terms, the HW business would be like a loss leader. A necessary evil to get some customers (security conscious ones) in the front door.

I agree, that as fans of this site we do not want to lose our BB10 phones. Success in software and services are a means to keep the HW business around. I truly believe BB needs to hang in there with BB10 for at another 3.5 years before making a final decision. If the OS continues to make the same types of strides that it has in the last 18 months, then we will all be in for quite a treat.
    Exactly. Apparently I should have finished reading the comments.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-12-14 06:19 PM
44 12