According to Busness In Canada Mr Devenyi has left BB for another firm.
    Linkedin Pete Devenyi - Canada | LinkedIn
    Article here - https://businessincanada.com/2014/02...yi-enterprise/
    02-13-14 09:02 AM
    Peter Devenji has left BlackBerry, while some might see the recent exits of the BBM chief and now Devenji and a loss of Talent, I see this as an important internal change. The old and static must be replaced with new and reinvigorated talent.

These changes are needed and overdue, the old guard has failed to transition the company from old to new and while painful and a PR hassle the end game is what matters.

It is completely apparent that the old Execs views just did not align with BlackBerrys new direction, so I say good luck to them and await the next exit.
    02-13-14 11:20 AM
    The old and static must be replaced with new and reinvigorated talent.
    That's the problem though, where's the new talent? Are the Execs Chen hired taking this over or is the position just now empty?
    schmeat, milo53, Supa_Fly1 and 2 others like this.
    02-13-14 11:28 AM
    That's the problem though, where's the new talent? Are the Execs Chen hired taking this over or is the position just now empty?
    I don't see this as a problem if Chen can attract the Execs he already has, what makes these positions any more difficult to fill?
    Its just the optics because BB wasn't ahead with the PR, a well known BB trait lol.
    Last edited by elite1; 02-13-14 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed [QUOTE] tags
    02-13-14 11:40 AM
    Exactly.

Not every Exec who (until recently) worked for BB is useless surely. I'd imagine that one or two of them might actually represent a loss to BB?
    02-13-14 02:09 PM
    Enterprise focus executive and BlackBerry is focusing on Enterprise so whether he left on his own terms or not does it really matter at this point? NO. Whether he's a brilliant executive or not does it really matter at this point? NO. One thing we can be sure is that whatever his vision is, it doesn't align with BlackBerry vision anymore.

? CB10 ?
    02-13-14 02:22 PM
    I would expect that hardware-oriented executives are being replace with software people.
    02-13-14 02:24 PM
    I would expect that hardware-oriented executives are being replace with software people.
    According to his profile, he was/is a software guy.

While it's easy to over-react to these Exec departures, as there are many reasons even very senior folk leave, it's hardly a vote of confidence in BB. And I reckon it's simplistic to assume that all of these leavers were either dumb, ineffective or misaligned with Chen's strategy.
    propeller10, Drew808 and h20work like this.
    02-13-14 02:49 PM
    And I reckon it's simplistic to assume that all of these leavers were either dumb, ineffective or misaligned with Chen's strategy.
    It may be simplistic but it's also mighty convenient. Once you adopt that assumption then you don't have to worry about anyone who departs - it's all good! (even if it isn't).
    h20work, Drew808 and JeepBB like this.
    02-13-14 03:09 PM
    Exactly.

Not every Exec who (until recently) worked for BB is useless surely. I'd imagine that one or two of them might actually represent a loss to BB?
    Indeed. If he was a dud be would probably have been fired.
    Exits, especially in the key divisions such as enterprise indicate it's not a happy ship.
    Although it's early days the new execs have had zero impact.
    Personally, I'd like to be hearing of modernisation of the engineering groups and a buzz of innovation.
    Too much board room focus, not enough on the high tech guts of the company.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-13-14 03:18 PM
    I think we're going to have to see over the next little while who Chen will replace these individuals with. These guys exiting are professionals, so I assume that they're providing enough time to hand over their position to an individual that will be taking over.

I'll be honest with you though, people who have many years of experience in a high level area are going to be tough to replace with someone coming in from the outside. Hopefully the core team doing the work with the know-how are the people remaining and Blackberry is looking to get better chiefs into place to execute actions better and faster.
    02-13-14 03:28 PM
    Anyone can be a good VP if they listen to the people below them that actually know what is going on.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    notfanboy likes this.
    02-13-14 05:07 PM
    Question is, who's left?..

Over the past two years we have seen a steady flow exec types parting ways with BlackBerry. One reason or another.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    02-13-14 07:09 PM
    When Paul maneiri took over the LSU baseball program, he ran off four of the best players after the first year. One made all America somewhere else. Caught some grief for it but they didn't share his philosophy or work ethic.

Won national championship a couple of years later with guys who did.

Posted via CB10
    anon4287986 likes this.
    02-13-14 09:10 PM
    Hey prplhze, you in Baton Rouge?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 11:30 PM
    Question is, who's left?..

Over the past two years we have seen a steady flow exec types parting ways with BlackBerry. One reason or another.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    Question is: why didn't they get fired/leaved earlier? BBRY has been getting gagraped from every corner, and the execs did basically nothing to stop it. In my opinion its about time that the execs from the previous are leaving. They werent the most useful when needed.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    02-14-14 04:12 AM
    If it's not working the way it should, regardless of position, professional or amateur, off with their heads.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 06:17 AM
    According to his profile, he was/is a software guy.

While it's easy to over-react to these Exec departures, as there are many reasons even very senior folk leave, it's hardly a vote of confidence in BB. And I reckon it's simplistic to assume that all of these leavers were either dumb, ineffective or misaligned with Chen's strategy.
    I don't think it's that simplistic at all. Look at how poorly the company has performed across the board for the last 18+ months. Aside from getting BB10 out the door and actually putting out a couple of very good handsets, the company is simply not competitive.

Complacency can spread itself quickly throughout an organization. RIM/BBRY had always been in front in the mobile space, until Apple and the iPhone came along. As well as management performed when the company was on top, it's apparent that most -- if not all -- of them did not know how to handle competition or fight their way back from behind. Maybe they all are very smart and very good at what they do; but it's an entirely different strategy and mindset to turn a company around, especially one that's fallen as far as BBRY.
    02-14-14 06:43 AM
    I don't think it's that simplistic at all. Look at how poorly the company has performed across the board for the last 18+ months. Aside from getting BB10 out the door and actually putting out a couple of very good handsets, the company is simply not competitive.

Complacency can spread itself quickly throughout an organization. RIM/BBRY had always been in front in the mobile space, until Apple and the iPhone came along. As well as management performed when the company was on top, it's apparent that most -- if not all -- of them did not know how to handle competition or fight their way back from behind. Maybe they all are very smart and very good at what they do; but it's an entirely different strategy and mindset to turn a company around, especially one that's fallen as far as BBRY.
    It's worth noting that retaining talent is actually more difficult than wielding the axe.
    When the company was put up for sale many top engineers understandably departed.
    High tech companies have to be focused on skills, innovation and engineering talent.
    I've seen and heard nothing to suggest this is a priority of the current board.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-14 07:11 AM
    Peter Devenji has left BlackBerry, while some might see the recent exits of the BBM chief and now Devenji and a loss of Talent, I see this as an important internal change. The old and static must be replaced with new and reinvigorated talent.

These changes are needed and overdue, the old guard has failed to transition the company from old to new and while painful and a PR hassle the end game is what matters.

It is completely apparent that the old Execs views just did not align with BlackBerrys new direction, so I say good luck to them and await the next exit.
    Old world thinking!

Who said or can prove that the new employees are actually "reinvigorated talent" vs just greedy employees expecting a handsome payout when sold or part & parcelled out?!

There should NEVER be a need to replace employees - JUST because of a new CEO, there has to be sound, and reasonable reason for it. The "good" of the company makes no sense without a reason nor direction.
    02-16-14 02:31 PM
    As I have said at the very beginning, this feels like a coup de etat.
    We've just let the whole company get taken over. Whether this is a good thing or not is a very important question.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    02-16-14 02:33 PM
    A friend of mine who works in more mod levels at BlackBerry said to me yesterday that many of these should have been sent packing long ago. Basically the old regime was about their good buddies and they let too many mediocre results still be good enough for bonuses and continued employment.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 06:23 PM

There should NEVER be a need to replace employees - JUST because of a new CEO, there has to be sound, and reasonable reason for it. The "good" of the company makes no sense without a reason nor direction.
    BlackBerry has got to downsize so that payroll matches revenues. They are becoming a Software and Services company, just look at what software and services brought in on the last earnings report. Going to need a lot of positions vacated....

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 07:02 PM
    As a business person myself, I feel it's time for change. The past performance at BlackBerry hasn't been good and complacency is one of the reasons they are in their current position.

We need new blood and also a new direction to be taken. Start listening to what the consumer is asking for. Improve the customer and carrier relationship which has been badly damaged.

I know some of the older BlackBerry purists might think they are gutting the talent within the company, but I like to think outside of the box.

Forget how we done things in the past, it's 2014 and not 2007 and we need to start doing things better then our competitors or we will become a distant memory in the fast moving high tech world.

Sent from my BlackBerry z10 on 10.2.1.537
    02-16-14 07:44 PM
    A friend of mine who works in more mod levels at BlackBerry said to me yesterday that many of these should have been sent packing long ago. Basically the old regime was about their good buddies and they let too many mediocre results still be good enough for bonuses and continued employment.

Posted via CB10
    Just to note that the main problems were of strategic direction set from the very top. Also, several guys have left and not been fired. I'd also point out that the new team have yet to deliver anything new, dynamic or creative - they all seem to be all implementing thors original plans. So the jury is still out.

JeepBB and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    02-17-14 01:57 AM
31 12