I am new to BB so my question may sound crazy but here goes. Why don't RIM offer they own BIS account plans? I have flashed my phone to a different carrier and I lost my BIS account. BIS does stand for Blackberry Internet Service right? After paying $300 for my Curve I should be able to use it even if I'm not talking or texting. I have service with a regular data plan and I can use the WiFi anywhere if my service is suspended or not. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't called BIS. Does anybody know if this is something RIM is working on? Or it is strictly through a carrier service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 02:55 PM
    From this BlackBerry 101 lecture, "In the case of BIS, your carrier operates the server. Everything from BIS to your handheld is encrypted, but that’s about the extent of the security features. The carrier can decide what applications run on your phone, and how applications communicate with the Internet."
    12-12-10 03:03 PM
    So if I wanted to make that suggestion to RIM to offer individual BIS service plans where would I go to do that? I'm sure I'm not the only person interested.

Thank you for your input.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 03:41 PM
    This is carrier specific. RIM, as a whole, owns and operates the BIS infrastructure and each carrier is doled out an administrative tool.

Now, in versions 4.2 and earlier, if you had WIFI, you could activate a handheld through BIS or BES without a SIM. This is no longer possible.
    12-13-10 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD