Came across this article while reading the WSJ this morning and it got me thinking and partially agreeing. RIM does have too many models out. I think they should consolidate some of their models. At least have all phones be capable of CDMA/GSM so you wouldn't have the same phone be released as 2 separate models within the same year. And can we finally change the models to Curve 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of 8520/30, 9300/30, etc.
    03-30-11 04:56 PM
    All should be able to work on both but SOME people like a choice and don't want to be stuck with just one phone to choose from like apple gives you, mind you I said SOME. I know most apple people are fine with the one choice.
    03-30-11 05:04 PM
    All should be able to work on both but SOME people like a choice and don't want to be stuck with just one phone to choose from like apple gives you, mind you I said SOME. I know most apple people are fine with the one choice.
    He wasn't saying RIM should have one phone.... but just to consolidate the model lines. If you look at the Curve line of devices, there are quite a few... whats the point really? Just slight (and I use slight very strongly) spec bumps.

Also, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with having a device that supports both GSM (2G) UMTS (3G) & CDMA but it's probably very unlikely to happen...
    03-30-11 07:29 PM
    Also, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with having a device that supports both GSM (2G) UMTS (3G) & CDMA but it's probably very unlikely to happen...
    Very unlikely with the influence carriers must have over RIM. They probably all want devices limited to their respective networks. Kind of stupid and not conducive to winning customer allegiance (the carriers) with antics like this; if their networks, prices, and service really were the best, they wouldn't need to hold anyone hostage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-11 07:37 PM
    They all use different chipsets to support each network. when they purchase 100 million chips at bargain bin pricing you arent getting to find 1 chip that runs all the networks at a good cost if that chip even exists
    03-30-11 08:35 PM
    He wasn't saying RIM should have one phone.... but just to consolidate the model lines. If you look at the Curve line of devices, there are quite a few... whats the point really? Just slight (and I use slight very strongly) spec bumps.

That's for the correct. I went from a Curve 8530 to a Curve 9330 in just a year. Hardware wise there was little change but to the addition of more memory and a different chipset (rumored). Fact the hardware has gone down. My 8330 had a flash (for camera) where as the 8530 and subsequently the 9330 do not!

There are already devices that support GMS & CDMA. Qualcomm has chips that support most bands.

Very unlikely with the influence carriers must have over RIM. They probably all want devices limited to their respective networks. Kind of stupid and not conducive to winning customer allegiance (the carriers) with antics like this; if their networks, prices, and service really were the best, they wouldn't need to hold anyone hostage.
    Rim is among the top 5 cellphone makers in the world. Why is it being influenced by carriers? They can easily make a device capable of working on all networks yet still locked to particular providers.

They all use different chipsets to support each network. when they purchase 100 million chips at bargain bin pricing you arent getting to find 1 chip that runs all the networks at a good cost if that chip even exists
    Perhaps this is another thing Apple got right that perhaps RIM should do. They bought a chip manufacturer to be able to have control of this. They also push updates to their phones when they deem fit, not letting service providers decide. Take some lessons RIM.
    03-31-11 04:05 PM
    i think they should somewhat consolidate but i understand their position. a lot of rim's success is outside north america. even though they're taking a lot of heat in north american their profits and revenues and subscribers is still doing well precisely because they have extensive operations outside NA. so they need to be able to satisfy all those different types of carriers. but they kinda over do it. the curve is best lineup to show this.
    03-31-11 06:07 PM
    I thought there was a post stating that the future chipsets to be used by RIM would have all radios on it.

If that is the case RIM should have a high end of the Bold, Torch, and Storm (or touch or whatever they want to call it) and an entry level of the curve and curve touch for all carriers. Pretty much everyone can find the phone that meets their needs in that lineup.
    04-01-11 07:31 AM
    Came across this article while reading the WSJ this morning and it got me thinking and partially agreeing. RIM does have too many models out. I think they should consolidate some of their models. At least have all phones be capable of CDMA/GSM so you wouldn't have the same phone be released as 2 separate models within the same year. And can we finally change the models to Curve 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of 8520/30, 9300/30, etc.
    People have been saying this for almost a decade. They don't seem to care. They're poised to make another 6+ different phones this year, Lol.
    04-01-11 11:33 AM
    They should consolidate it. Make it just:

Bold

Torch

Pearl

If they just had the 3 main styles of BB it would be much better. The Style never caught on, the Storm series is done, and the Curve series is crap quality (and too much like a Bold).

Like the guy a few posts above me said, they should drop the 9XXX numbering and just name things with simple numbers (Bold 3, Torch 2, Pearl 3) instead of having 9630, 9650, 9670. The numbers are all similar but the phones are very different (especially the 9670).

And like Apple, they should make a CDMA and a GSM version with identical names and specs.
    04-02-11 03:53 PM
    I do think it would be nice if RIM made phones that had both the CDMA and GSM chipset.

That aside, one of the reasons I like Blackberry is that it is not a one-size-fits-all mentality. I LOVE my Style and don't want it to be consolidated. I don't want a touchscreen brick. I don't want a slider. I love my flip-phone and I hope they keep it.

Oh, and I have heard that the Style is selling extremely well. I think if it gets a wider release, it WILL catch on.
    04-03-11 04:45 PM
    How about an......IBERRY?

04-03-11 04:56 PM
    I do think it would be nice if RIM made phones that had both the CDMA and GSM chipset.

That aside, one of the reasons I like Blackberry is that it is not a one-size-fits-all mentality. I LOVE my Style and don't want it to be consolidated. I don't want a touchscreen brick. I don't want a slider. I love my flip-phone and I hope they keep it.

Oh, and I have heard that the Style is selling extremely well. I think if it gets a wider release, it WILL catch on.
    they do do this, that isnt the issue though. They only have it so the GSM bands are non NA 3G bands on them. So you can just use them but do not get 3G.
    04-03-11 05:47 PM
    I would like to see RIM consolidate/standardize models with the following:

Entry Level (free on contract or $99):
    Pearl & Style (non-touchscreen)

Mid Level ($200):
    Curve (consumer) & Bold (professional) touchscreen

High/Pro Level ($300)
    Tourch & Storm
    04-12-11 01:29 PM
    Must say I've always been a fan of clams (phones) and like the
    Style too. Screen is protected and buttons also when closed
    But yes the model numbers are whack.

04-13-11 07:09 AM
    Well, if RIM does do the Bold 1 2 3 4....torch 1 2 3 4 5.... thing like apple does, blackberry phones wouldn't be so diverse and wont give a wide array of devices to choose from. Although it will allow RIM to focus on such devices and maybe spend more time in enhancing it. I find it kinda tricky
    04-13-11 10:43 AM
    Well, if RIM does do the Bold 1 2 3 4....torch 1 2 3 4 5.... thing like apple does, blackberry phones wouldn't be so diverse and wont give a wide array of devices to choose from. Although it will allow RIM to focus on such devices and maybe spend more time in enhancing it. I find it kinda tricky
    Why wouldn't it be diverse? All it does is simply things and provide less confusion to the consumer. They will know that a Curve 3 comes after and is newer then a Curve 2. If I ask them to determine between a Curve 9300, 9330, and 8530 which is the newer or more advanced phone... I doubt many would have any clue. Having a logical model numbering doesn't affect the number of models RIM can develop or release.
    04-14-11 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD