source: The Pentagon Is Reportedly Planning To Ditch BlackBerry | TechnoBuffalo

The Department of Defense is allegedly looking to ditch BlackBerry devices in favor of Apple and Samsung handsets. With BlackBerry further plummeting into has-been territory, the DoD wants to distance itself from the struggling handset maker by moving forward with an initiative to essentially secure any mobile devices—no need to rely on BlackBerry’s services. As of now, BlackBerry devices are the only smartphone designated with an “authority to operate” title, or ATO, but a contingency plan could approve seemingly any device, no matter the platform, for use with the DoD’s systems.

In 2012, the Pentagon devised a strategy that planned to transition employees over to smartphones and tablets without favoring a particular device maker. Through a central management system, the DoD would track handhelds to better ensure no military information was compromised. In addition, the Pentagon considered introducing its own private app store, which would only be available to approved devices.

“This multi-vendor, device-agnostic approach minimizes the impact of (a) single vendor to our current operations,” said Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Col. Damien Pickart. “DoD’s mobility strategy and commercial mobile device implementation plan includes reliance on multiple vendors to support its mobile communications needs.”

A limited pilot security management system is expected to kick off at the end of this year, with up to 300,000 government-issued consumer devices to be connected by the end of 2016; the Pentagon currently uses about 470,000 BlackBerry devices. If the Waterloo company doesn’t rebound from impending obscurity, the Pentagon could roll out a mandate that would drop BlackBerry devices from its workforce altogether. With BlackBerry turning its attention away from consumers in an effort to focus solely on enterprise customers, an end to a partnership such as this would be a huge blow.
    11-15-13 01:33 PM
    Please move or delete thread as its a repeat of this one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=872789

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 01:43 PM
    Most likly this is what they are planning..... but the article doesn't really list any FACTS.

That said we have known that they were looking to diserfy and that Samsung especially has been working to provide a device with the level of security that the DOD needs. But right now BlackBerry is still they only one approved to operate I belive.... they REALLY need to stabilize the company so that they have a shot at growing (or at least keeping) their marketshare in the Business world.
    11-15-13 01:47 PM
    Copyed this from another users post by the way

"That is a VERY misleading headline, suggesting it is imminent. The article itself refers to a 'just in case' scenario. Journalism (if you can even call it that) is becoming about as trustworthy as politicians. (Eyes rolling). "

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 01:49 PM
    The attack continues....

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-15-13 02:24 PM
    The attack continues....

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    I don't see it as an attack. They have their own concerns. But if Blackberry stabilizes, I am sure DOD will not go through with the decision.
    11-15-13 02:58 PM
    Investors have pumped in a billion dollars into BlackBerry if that's not stabilizing the current situation then what is?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    11-15-13 03:06 PM
    Investors have pumped in a billion dollars into BlackBerry if that's not stabilizing the current situation then what is?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    It's about what they are going to do in the future, what their new strategy is going to be. having an extra billion just makes sure current operations can continue smoothly for a little while. Short term stability is not enough to convince DOD to not jump ship.
    11-15-13 03:14 PM