I received this message today. Not sure how they got my PIN. I suppose I can block them. Is there a lot of this going around? It my first time .

Entire Message

Congratulations!!!

You have been selected as one (1) of (15) winners in this months BlackBerry online splash promo selected from all the region connected to the BlackBerry network Europe, South and North America,Australia Asia, Middle East and the Africa, our internet processing unit.
    Our fifteen (15) winners have been selected from Six continents currently connected to the BlackBerry network.
    Your BlackBerry Pin was selected as the 5th beneficiary in this promo,which was chosen at random by our Digital Random Internet BlackBerry Processing Service (D.R.I.B.P.S) which won for you $900,000.00 USD and your reward is coming from the interest generated from advertising and copyrights from the BlackBerry network.
    Provide your Online Coordinator with the listed information's below to enable him process your winning certificate.

serial No: 556543450906
    Batch No: 2551256003/23
    Ticket No: 5647600545188
    Your full name:
    Age/Gender
    Phone Number
    Your Email address:

Below are his contact information's.
    Frank Cusack-Online Coordinator
    Email: [email protected]
    Endeavor to keep your prize winnings informations notifications as confidential as possible until your winnings have been successfully verified and remitted to you,this is one of the security precaution.
    to avoid wrong claim of of your winning
    BlackBerry Team Award Promotion
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Last edited by pmccartney; 04-20-11 at 09:36 AM.
    04-20-11 09:29 AM
    Happens to everyone from time to time. Just delete it and move on with life.
    04-20-11 09:34 AM
    Nice! Nigerian scammers using BB pins now. lol

God only knows how your PIN gets out there. My best guess is it must be from an app you dl'ed.

About a month ago I was receiving BBM's from people in a different country (weird symbols for letters) and after ignoring the first 5 or so, I asked the person where they got my pin from. Turns out it was posted on some sort of gay dating/hookup site from some other country (hilarious prank to play on a buddy, not so cool when it happens to you ). I couldnt read the site in order to try to get my PIN off of it. Thankfully the messages have stopped as I assume the thread that listed my pin must be buried.

Thats why i am hesitant about giving away my pin when an app asks for it or allowing them access to info on my phone thats not neccessary for the app....like why quick pull needed full access to my phone just to do a soft reset???
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 04-20-11 at 09:44 AM.
    04-20-11 09:39 AM
    Reason #1 NOT to put your PIN out there, once its on the NET, it's up for grabs by anyone.

"I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe"
    04-20-11 09:45 AM
    "Informations" and "this is one of the security precaution"??? Great English. Obviously written by a greenhorn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 09:57 AM
    I liked "The Africa".

Regarding PINs getting out there.....just look at this forum and how many people include their PIN, rather innocuaously, on their profile.
    anon(3733516) likes this.
    04-20-11 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry is a line of mobile e-mail and smartphone devices developed and designed by Canadian company Research In Motion (RIM) since 1999.[2][3]
    BlackBerry phones function as a personal digital assistant and portable media player. They are primarily known for their ability to send and receive (push) Internet e-mail wherever mobile network service coverage is present, or through Wi-Fi connectivity. They support a large array of instant messaging features, including BlackBerry Messenger.

-------------------
    Wills
    07-10-11 09:20 PM
    Well there's only so many possible pins; 8 degit hexadecimal codes (1,073,741,824 to be exact). SO you just start making up random pins and sending messages, you're bound to start hitting people.
    I wonder
    07-10-11 10:15 PM
    I have no problem with giving my PIN out. It's easy to block people and I don't fall for stupid scams like the one they tried to pull on you.
    07-11-11 12:26 PM
    Did you get your nine million?lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD