For the first part of my question, I'm probably not asking in the right place. I won't expect to get a lot of objective answers about this, but I'll ask anyway... I'm just trying to determine whether getting a Blackberry will be worth it for me.

I'm currently with Verizon, don't have anything special about my plan--just the regular calling plan, a $5 text message add-on, and I pay $50 a month. I'm due for a phone upgrade, went into the store last week, and fell in love with the idea of a Blackberry. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the $30 extra fee a month for the added features. Yes, it all sounds wonderful, but $80+ a month for my cell phone? REALLY?

I don't really have a need to synch it with my work e-mail, so I'd be using it primarily for personal use. And I'm not even sure the websites that I frequent are made to be Blackberry friendly. Can I read blogspot blogs? Can I post a blog message on my own blog? Can I read and post on message boards? E-mail, sports, and weather are obviously givens.

Second part of my question--if I DO get a Blackberry, I'm debating on whether I should buy the Pearl ($99 after rebate with Verizon) or wait for the Curve to come out. I'm leaning toward the Pearl because 1) I like how it is smaller in size, 2) I like how the keys are bigger because you don't have a full QWERTY keyboard, and 3) the price. Your thoughts as experienced Blackberry users??
    04-24-08 02:20 PM
    1. A Blackberry is worth it if you want to be in contact via email, voice or photos often...

2. If you use your mobile more than your house phone, then yes, it's worth it. Plus, like I said in answer, 1...

3. I say test BOTH devices, try the Pearl first, then switch to the QWERTY device. If you a 'touch typist', then you'll probably like the QWERTY device, since you're already use to the keyboard / layout...
    04-24-08 02:33 PM
    Yes, it all sounds wonderful, but $80+ a month for my cell phone? REALLY?
    Careful, we all pay that around these parts, some even pay higher.

You most certainly can blog from your blackberry from sending an email to your personal blogging address. Check your options on blogger. Most blogs are set up so that the title of the email is the title of your blog and the body of the email is the body of the blog. I do it.

Curve fanboy here. If you think you can get used to suretype with the pearl, go for it especially since it apppeals to your eyes.
    04-24-08 02:38 PM
    Hmm, well, i don't NEED a blackberry, but i decided to try one, as i was using a palm treo.

I did some researchj within my carrier, and found out that i had a 30 day "buyers remorse" return policy on it.

So i got it, came here and read a TON of threads, started using it, and fell in love with it.

Do you "need" instant email? Probably not, but i love it.

Do you know anyone who has a Pearl? Ask them to try it for an hour, although don't get mad if they say no, us BB users are particular to our devices.. lol

You can also go into the Verizon store and hammer away on a floor model for a while, they are "usually" connected to a data plan and fully functioning.

Go to your blogsite, and see if you can sign in, an post.

If you can't there is Opera Mini, its an HTML browser that is downloadable, and im sure you can blog right from there as well..

As for the Curve \?Pearl, thats completely a user decision, i have had both, and find myself using my Curve WAY more than i did my Pearl, as the screen is a little bigger, and easier on the eyes.

go play with a Pearl, then an 8830. The Curve is sized in between them, but the screen is the same size as the 8830.
    04-24-08 02:38 PM
    I love my curve. When I first switched to a phone that had extra costs for email and web it was hard to swallow, but it was totally worth it. Having the convenience of email, web, and phone makes life easier. I also have to say that I really prefer to have a full keyboard. Its worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 02:45 PM
    Try sprint. I used to have Verizon and the way they do their data & BlackBerry plans is nothing short of highway robbery. You don't have to pay $80/month. At sprint you can get the blackberry pack data plan which has unlmtd data, browsing, and bundles it with unlmtd text! Verizon doesn't do that so if you're someone who texts a significant amount this can be a deal breaker. I pay $76/mo for 450 mins + my BB pack + complete insurance. Plus imo sprint has better colors. Your only gripe may be the customer service if you ever need it & the fact that you will have to wait longer if you want the curve, but it sounds like you want the Pearl.

04-24-08 02:47 PM
    I didn't mean for that to be offensive. I know plenty of people pay it. It's just hard for me, personally, to accept that I'm forking over that much money for my cell phone. I've been told--and I believe--that once I have one, I'll wonder how I ever lived without it. But it's just hard to take the initial plunge. And getting that bill the first several times... ouch.
    04-24-08 02:47 PM
    I drop a hundred bones a month easy.

I've got other people on my plan though. I also have 1400 minutes. I would rather pay for a 1400 minute package than run the chance of going over. 30 cents a minute will kill a fool.
    04-24-08 03:07 PM
    once you go bb you'll think $80 is a cheap price to pay.if someone were willing to pay me double per month not to use a bb i would turn them down.
    go curvey.
    04-24-08 03:10 PM
    All those who said "you'll never know how you lived without it" are right. I just made the plunge to a smartphone in February. Initially I was just looking at the curve becasue it had tasks, to do and a calendar. (my old palm M130 was dead). And I loved the crimson curve. So I decided on it. The only catch at that time was that if I wanted AT&T's rebate I had to sign up for the dataplan. I was unhappy just like you "what another $30 bucks a month!" But I took the plunge and signed up. Then a couple of days later I found this site. Then a couple of days after that I loved my BB so much and the dataplan that my husband who had opted for a Razor, sent me back to get him a BB with a dataplan and we are both thrilled.

As far as which device to get, that is personal preference. As everyone has already advised it is better to go to the store and try them both before you decide. If your carrier doesn't have the curve, go to another store to see if you like it better before purchasing. I personally love my curve and the Qwerty keyboard. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
    04-24-08 03:16 PM

Not to brag Dj, but I only pay 10 bucks a month...for everything.... Gotta love the employee plan lol.
    04-24-08 03:33 PM
    I am a newbie, only had my 8130 for 4 days. At first I had some buyers remorse, as I learned that my carrier Alltel has issues with MMS messages. I was addicted to my jokes. But I have been converted. I don't want to sleep, eat or work. I just want to play with my BB!
    04-24-08 03:37 PM
    I didn't mean for that to be offensive. I know plenty of people pay it. It's just hard for me, personally, to accept that I'm forking over that much money for my cell phone. I've been told--and I believe--that once I have one, I'll wonder how I ever lived without it. But it's just hard to take the initial plunge. And getting that bill the first several times... ouch.
    Don't worry about it.. if you have Verizon and you're getting off paying $80 a month, you're getting off easy. I pay over a hundred every month... BUT I also have unlimited everything. That's just a personal decision as to what you feel you need with your plan. I can, however, tell you this for certain: do NOT NOT NOT get a data plan with anything under unlimited data usage. Big no no! Reason being is when you go over your data allowance for the month, Verizon will charge you about a million dollars. No joke. Especially since you're new to BB.. You'll be playing around on the internet and tinkering with everything the device does for hours. Before you know it, you're over your data allowance.

As far as choosing between the Curve and the Pearl, that is a dilemma I'm facing right now, too. I have the Pearl and I love the size, functionality, and especially the SureType... It also comes in pink AND silver as opposed to the Curve which is only going to be introduced in one colour. They both do essentially the same thing. Basically it comes down to whether you want a smaller phone or the full qwerty keyboard. Also, the Curve is gonna run you more - for sure!
    04-24-08 03:43 PM
    Verizon will charge you about a million dollars.

Truest thing I have read on the forums this week. You go over, and Verizon puts the crosshairs to your wallet.
    04-24-08 04:25 PM
    This is my first BB. Honestly, I never understood the addiction to them. Then I bought my pearl. I haven't put it down since.

It's hard to understand the addiction until you become a part of it. I will never own a phone that is not a BB.

04-24-08 08:26 PM
    Once you go black(berry) you never go back
    04-24-08 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD