Can I use the pearl for a modem for my computer so I can access the internet on my laptop?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 12:50 AM
    Yes. Call your carrier and ask about a tethering package.
    03-25-09 01:10 AM
    i'm running a curve 8330 on telus, with an unlimited data plan, and a laptop with Vista. do I need anything other than the USB cable to use my phone as a modem?
    03-25-09 01:16 AM
    Yes, you need a tethering package or a second mortgage to
    finance your next bill
    03-25-09 01:20 AM
    Good to know, haven't tried yet... Thx for the info

03-25-09 01:22 AM
    If you have an unlimited data plan, which most of the major carriers already give you, then you can use it and you won't be getting any extra bills. I did it with my Curve 8320 (on T-Mobile), I just have the regular Unlim BB Plan for $20/mo.

You need a USB cable to connect your BB to your comp obviously, there is also a way to do it with Bluetooth but that requires your computer to also have Bluetooth, but that can get a bit complicated, slower than with the USB cable, and also will really drain your battery life fast.

Then you need to download the BlackBerry Desktop Manager program.

[User] HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop! - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Check that link, follow the instructions, and it should work fine. Speeds are kinda slow though, I'm on T-Mobile's EDGE and I was getting like dial-up speeds, but maybe I just had a low signal, but could be faster on 3G.
    03-25-09 02:06 AM
    Thx for the post!

03-25-09 02:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD