Back in the day. The pc was the important element and the operative system secondary. Ibm was more relevant than Microsoft back in the day but then the tables turned. The OS was more important than the hardware.

Could one day we buy any phone we want and install the OS we wish in it ?

The fact that you can get android free plus Google services plus pretty much every app out there available makes it hard to beat.

This current situation hurts BlackBerry but works fine for Apple and Google.

Any opinions?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 01:57 PM
    I think one day that we will be able to install any OS we want on our phones.

With that said, I don't see it helping BBRY in that most consumers would not pay for the BB10 OS. Linux distros like Ubuntu are free now and their PC market share is nonexistent!
    07-02-15 02:00 PM
    And when it happens.. OS piracy continues!

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-02-15 02:08 PM
    And when it happens.. OS piracy continues!

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    ;-)

Yeah, I'm gonna "pirate" an open-source OS and put it on my Nexus. Done!

Jolla/Sailfish, Ubuntu & Co. ...

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    07-02-15 03:51 PM
    The "turning of table" happened when the smartphone market was in it's infancy. You can say that the same happened in mobile, with BB taking the role of IBM. Also the smartphone market is already mature right now and it's pretty similar to the PC market with Android taking the role of Windows.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-02-15 03:59 PM
    Actually, it wasn't the OS that mattered - it was the ECOSYSTEM. Does anyone think that Windows was the best desktop OS available in the 90s? No way - MacOS was better in many ways, yet Apple was almost completely destroyed in the 90s. Why? Because Windows had, by far, the superior ecosystem.

What do I mean by ecosystem?

- Apps (as in, programs/applications/third-party software support)
    - Services
    - Third-Party hardware support

If you wanted a scanner or a camera for your Mac, you had one option: the one Apple was selling, at three times the price of a similar unit made for Windows. Apple desktops were specifically made to limit upgrade potential - they'd rather sell you a whole new Mac instead. But in the Windows ecosystem, there were many vendors competing on price, and on features, quality, and support, and you could choose from many levels and price-points. Even with Windows' deficiencies, it gave the best bang-for-the-buck (aka value) for most people, and thus was the clear winner. Again, it had little to do with the quality of the OS, but rather the open nature of the platform and the strong embracing of third-party developers and hardware manufacturers.

The story with mobile OSs is much the same, except that Apple learned from their mistakes on the desktop and were much more open to third-parties (still with restrictions), and were even more successful at targeting the higher-end, less-price-conscious customers with a strong ecosystem. Android took the "open" route that Windows took on the desktop and captured the vast majority of the marketshare by building a very strong second ecosystem.

The others, including Microsoft/Nokia (WinPhone), BB (BB10) and Palm/HP (WebOS), were very late to the party (and none of them had a good excuse, as they were all strong in the market pre-iPhone) and had already lost way too much marketshare and developer interest (which are VERY closely tied together) to be able to build competitive ecosystems. And without a competitive ecosystem, nothing else really matters, because you won't be successful.

Unique among them is Microsoft, who has huge resources (financial and otherwise) and a leadership position in desktops, and has the ace-in-the-hole of cross-platform integration giving them additional leverage, and has a shot and building a viable 3rd-Place ecosystem - but even then, they'll be a trailing 3rd for the foreseeable future. There simply isn't room for more than 3 OSs (with the third lagging far behind the leaders), just as there wasn't room in desktops. Most developers want to be on the bigger platforms where their work has the potential to make the most money, and that curve drops off steeply after 2 platforms and almost vertical after 3.
    anon(1173270) likes this.
    07-03-15 01:04 AM
    Most people want their mobile devices to be easy to use which argues against the idea of installing your own OS. The whole point of choosing an iPad is that it works right out of the box and is easy enough that you can give it to a kid or your parents without becoming their IT department. Try that with a PC. Think of all the times you have had to look for a 16 character key in order to get your PC working or had to go hunting around for a driver or installed something that totally screwed up your system. I don't think we are going back to those days with our mobile devices.
    Bbnivende and southlander like this.
    07-03-15 01:19 AM
    Android is to phones as Windows is to PC'S already, IMO.
    07-03-15 01:58 AM
    Most people want their mobile devices to be easy to use which argues against the idea of installing your own OS. The whole point of choosing an iPad is that it works right out of the box and is easy enough that you can give it to a kid or your parents without becoming their IT department. Try that with a PC. Think of all the times you have had to look for a 16 character key in order to get your PC working or had to go hunting around for a driver or installed something that totally screwed up your system. I don't think we are going back to those days with our mobile devices.
    I agree. Smartphones with appstores solved several basic issues that nag PCs until this day. I don't see why any major manufacturer would complicate things.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 02:13 AM
    What I find odd is that basically you get android at no monetary cost.

True Google makes lots of money by having your info and advertising trough their services.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 07:34 AM
    What I find odd is that basically you get android at no monetary cost.

True Google makes lots of money by having your info and advertising trough their services.

Posted via CB10
    Free OSes are actually the norm - - at least free/included with hardware to the end user consumer. Even Windows upgrades.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-04-15 01:14 AM