Hello,

Is is safe to pay your bills using the BB browser.....like my credit cards....my electric bill...gas bill....etc? Thank you.
    07-25-10 06:24 PM
    It is probably more safe using your BB than using your WEP encrypted Wireless home network.
    07-25-10 06:27 PM
    yea ive purchased stuff and paid bills using it before. i agree, its probably more secure than a regular wireless network.
    07-25-10 07:20 PM
    Yes that's how I pay my cellphone bill when i'm busy btw how is it not safe using ur credit card through ur wireless home network? I know, its a noobie question lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-10 10:07 PM
    I guess I have to ask - does this mean we all trust RIM or their servers or is the stuff actually encrypted beyond their means to "read?"

Now that I've asked that, does rim know every website visited and email that we've gotten?

Could they be subpoenaed?
    07-25-10 10:16 PM
    Yes that's how I pay my cellphone bill when i'm busy btw how is it not safe using ur credit card through ur wireless home network? I know, its a noobie question lol

encrypted networks can still be hacked. you gotta figure though, your average neighbor isnt trying to sniff your packets. so protected wifi networks are generally safe.
    07-25-10 10:32 PM
    encrypted networks can still be hacked. you gotta figure though, your average neighbor isnt trying to sniff your packets. so protected wifi networks are generally safe.
    I have a wep key on my wireless network but I still don't understand how ur info like saved logins and credit card info can be stolen if ur not on the same computer?

07-26-10 12:39 AM
    I sign into my bank account and pay bills all the time on my phone. No problems to date.
    07-26-10 12:43 AM
    I have a wep key on my wireless network but I still don't understand how ur info like saved logins and credit card info can be stolen if ur not on the same computer?

keyloggers can be remotely installed, card info is transmitted over the air...etc. google it if you dont get it, im sure there are some websites that explain this stuff in detail.
    07-26-10 01:15 AM
    keyloggers can be remotely installed, card info is transmitted over the air...etc. google it if you dont get it, im sure there are some websites that explain this stuff in detail.
    Someone could sniff out the packets you were sending and if transmitted wirelessly could decrypt the data and get your info.

Some ways to prevent unauthorized access to your computer network:
    1) Change the default SSID
    2) Do not broadcast your SSID
    3) Set the IP range for DHCP to the amount of devices you own. (If possible, set static addresses for your devices).
    4) Use MAC Filtering
    5) Use the highest encryption you can on your network. Certain devices might only allow up to WEP (older ones). Biggest recommendation is upgrade to something WPA/WPA2 compliant.
    6) Hide the wireless router. No seriously. Only you should know where the router is so physical access isn't possible. This probably won't hurt you too much because if the router is reset, you'll know it when you go to connect to it and its unprotected.
    7) Last but not least change the default password. Make your password greater than 8 characters and if possible, use 4 different character sets (number, special character, upper and lower case).

While some may WPA is still hackable, you should still use it. Doing all of these steps helps will make it VERY difficult for someone to get in.
    Last edited by nojok3; 07-26-10 at 11:33 AM.
    07-26-10 11:30 AM

The Big difference is, if someone is trying to steal your banking info, they can "camp" out and spend time breaking your network, and then gain access, on your BB, you are not in a single spot, and they have to break not only the encryption the service provider has, but the encryption that RIM also has so it is double the breaking, and having to know where you are.

the Post above is good for securing your Home network.

WEP can be broken in a matter of hours with a brute force attack and today's powerful laptops. WPA is far more challenging
    07-26-10 12:05 PM
    The Big difference is, if someone is trying to steal your banking info, they can "camp" out and spend time breaking your network, and then gain access, on your BB, you are not in a single spot, and they have to break not only the encryption the service provider has, but the encryption that RIM also has so it is double the breaking, and having to know where you are.

the Post above is good for securing your Home network.

WEP can be broken in a matter of hours with a brute force attack and today's powerful laptops. WPA is far more challenging
    +1

These same people would also have to know you are on your BB and doing your banking over it. From what I've seen in other news stories, they have MUCH easier ways to steal your identity than hack your home network and capture you sending something on your BlackBerry
    07-26-10 01:04 PM
    An even bigger issue these days are ATM skimming/fraud. Crooks are getting real good with that one....

07-26-10 01:14 PM
    Well due to browser transcoding, the blackberry browser fakes out TLS and SSL so take your chances.
    07-26-10 01:52 PM
    Well due to browser transcoding, the blackberry browser fakes out TLS and SSL so take your chances.
    What's this mean in layman's terms? TIA
    07-26-10 02:22 PM
    Look, the criminals out there will get your $$, identity, SS# even if you have all t's crossed and i's dotted, its a sad state of affairs but true. I think most banks will work with you if there is fraud and a lot of the credit card companies alert me when they notice suspicious activity. I have paid many bills through BB and as long as you are vigilant and watch what goes on in your accounts, you shoud be OK!!
    07-28-10 07:46 AM
    I do it all the time. I have used online banking for years. No problems there.
    07-28-10 08:10 AM
    After the huge identify theft crisis (not that its over), more banks are going to work with you to get the issue resolved than when the issue was relatively unknown.
    08-03-10 11:03 AM
    First they have to find the network you're on. Then the always changing frequency you're using. Then they have to try to access your phone or data over the air. Then they have to crack your data twice, once by the network's data encryption and second RIM's encryption.
    08-03-10 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD