Hi, just got the Timmy app, bought a card, now want to blow my friend away in an hour or so.
    I know you are to just "tap to pay " but when I bought the card, the girl said you have to swipe the card to pay.
    Where do I tap??
    Also, will the thinnest and cheapest silicone case make the NFC not work?
    Do I have to go naked for the NFC to work?.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:00 AM
    Omg, Tims not Toms....

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:01 AM
    Omg, Tims not Toms....

Posted via CB10
    Let me know I'd like to do the same.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:08 AM
    Not all Tims locations are setup for NFC payment yet, it just rolled out last week, and all Tims locations should be good to go with NFC by Spring 2014. I went in to a Tims in Orangeville ont (where I live) and tried to do it and the girl said I was second person to try, but they aren't equipped yet for NFC payments, but will be late Feb/March the girl told me
    12-17-13 09:20 AM
    Thank you all.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:24 AM
    You register the card in the app, then tap the phone on their tap terminal or drive through terminal.
    The problem i encountered was my local location has a thick rubber case on the drive through machine to prevent damage. It also prevents the nfc contact being made.
    Lame.
    12-17-13 09:49 AM
    Not all Tims locations are setup for NFC payment yet, it just rolled out last week, and all Tims locations should be good to go with NFC by Spring 2014. I went in to a Tims in Orangeville ont (where I live) and tried to do it and the girl said I was second person to try, but they aren't equipped yet for NFC payments, but will be late Feb/March the girl told me
    But don't the Tim cards use NFC technology? Therefore the phone should work also

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:52 AM
    But don't the Tim cards use NFC technology? Therefore the phone should work also

Posted via CB10
    It should, and if you read this Tim Hortons rolls out mobile payments with updates to BlackBerry, Apple and Android apps | Financial Post it says a limited number of Tim Hortons stores are using the new technology now.
    12-17-13 10:02 AM
    I have a silicone case and have no issues. Every Tim's I've been to has an option to use a Tim's card. Just say you are paying with a Tim's card and ensure your NFC is on and rest the back of your phone on the device screen that you would normally swipe a card.

No issues. I've been using this with auto reload since the day it came out.

You might be wise to do a trial run in the drive thru for a timbit.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:07 AM
    The connection worked fine through my BlackBerry brand rubber case.
    12-17-13 10:08 AM
    It should, and if you read this Tim Hortons rolls out mobile payments with updates to BlackBerry, Apple and Android apps | Financial Post it says a limited number of Tim Hortons stores are using the new technology now.
    The statement specifically stated that bar code scanning apps for iOS and Android phones is on a limited rollout. Tap to pay terminals have been available all across the chain for Visa and MasterCard which is what the Timmy's BB10 app also use. The press release regarding a limited rollout has been widely misinterpreted and misquoted.
    just_luc, habs_fan and stevepar like this.
    12-17-13 10:20 AM
    The statement specifically stated that bar code scanning apps for iOS and Android phones is on a limited rollout. Tap to pay terminals have been available all across the chain for Visa and MasterCard which is what the Timmy's BB10 app also use. The press release regarding a limited rollout has been widely misinterpreted and misquoted.
    Hmm, then I am going to go back to that Tim's on the weekend and try it again... I know the one near my office in markham works with NFC payments. Hmm thanks for that.
    12-17-13 10:23 AM
    If you're using z10, q10, or q5, hold the middle back of the phone to the screen of machine. Z30 you hold the top off the phone to the screen. Just say Tim card, and you should see a tap option show up on the screen of the machine. Hit pay now on your phone and just hold it an inch or so off the screen

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    12-17-13 10:34 AM
    My case gives me issues some times, but without it works perfectly. All Tim's should have Nfc machines.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, their gift cards do NOT use NFC.

As has been pointed out here, though, the NFC scanners have been in all their outlets for quite a while. It's the BARCODE scanners for non-NFC Androids and iPhones that are still rolling out. I've used it successfully in the Yukon; I'd be surprised to hear it's not available in less remote regions.
    12-17-13 10:47 AM
    Darn, just tried at my two most frequent Tim Hortons, and both were unable to process with my phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:57 AM
    Most tims, should have the NFC already just open app and click tap to pay under Tim card. Just tell then you are paying with tim card.
    If your using the Z30 the NFC is near the top someone said I found it works best to tap the top half of the phone on the reader. Worked both times in two different locations (6 hrs from eachother)

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:58 AM
    Darn, just tried at my two most frequent Tim Hortons, and both were unable to process with my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Might be your phone my friend. I'm about 10/10 across 5 locations
    Does the pin pad show the flashing tap icon? Did you press "pay now" on the app?
    Last edited by bspence87; 12-17-13 at 11:26 AM.
    12-17-13 11:02 AM
    I have a silicone case and have no issues. Every Tim's I've been to has an option to use a Tim's card. Just say you are paying with a Tim's card and ensure your NFC is on and rest the back of your phone on the device screen that you would normally swipe a card.

No issues. I've been using this with auto reload since the day it came out.

You might be wise to do a trial run in the drive thru for a timbit.

Posted via CB10
    The issue I had was the case on THEIR machine in the drive through was too thick and no contact could be made with the phone.
    I have a hard plastic case mate on my zed and it does not effect nfc use. I use it everyday at my desk.
    12-17-13 11:33 AM
    No, not my phone, girl said they didn't have the set up.
    I am in small town BC.
    Hopefully they get it soon, can't wait to try it out!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:55 AM
    Hi, just got the Timmy app, bought a card, now want to blow my friend away in an hour or so.
    Do I have to go naked for the NFC to work?.
    I hope not!

Judge gives ‘naturist’ dressing down over naked Tim Hortons drive-through visit | National Post
    habs_fan likes this.
    12-17-13 12:02 PM
    Which one of the 5 Timmies did you go to and did she say anything about the other stores not being equipped yet? I was actually hoping to try it out today at the one on the bypass. I work in Brampton though so maybe I will try it out here instead.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 12:04 PM
    Which one of the 5 Timmies did you go to and did she say anything about the other stores not being equipped yet? I was actually hoping to try it out today at the one on the bypass. I work in Brampton though so maybe I will try it out here instead.

Posted via CB10
    You're in Orangeville? Or go through it? The one I tried is at Riddell rd and Centennial. But they aren't functional yet I didn't ask if any others are operational yet in the area
    12-17-13 12:17 PM
    I always just say that I want to "tap with my Tims card" and they set the machine up for me to tap. If the store can handle the tap payments for visa and Mastercard they can process the nfc app payment as it's the same technology. Make sure you hit the pay now button first or it won't work.
    12-17-13 12:24 PM
    Paying at Tim Hortons using the NFC TimmyMe App-7000rf.jpgPaying at Tim Hortons using the NFC TimmyMe App-google-wallet-paypass-terminal.jpgPaying at Tim Hortons using the NFC TimmyMe App-paypass_loblaws.jpg

There are several different types of NFC terminals, but once you've seen a couple, you should have no trouble spotting them. Nearly all of the ones I've seen are like the first two pictures - essentially an add-on antenna to a standard swipe terminal. I have yet to see the third, stand-alone swipe/NFC reader in person, but I'm sure they exist somewhere too.

I use a Nexus 4 with a TPU case, and I've never had an issue paying with NFC. If my phone is within an inch or so of the terminal, it registers. Just so you know, only the initial request is done with NFC. The terminal then initiates a low-power WiFi-Direct session with the phone so that it can show you the "confirmation/denied" info and your receipt, but as long as you are within about 20-30 feet of the terminal, that will happen. It's not necessary to hold the phone to the reader the whole time.
    12-17-13 02:18 PM
154 123 ...