Hello crackberry. I will be travelling to England in august for a few weeks and would like to use a pay as you go sim with a good balance of voice and data.

Is there any good pay as you go plans available for English carriers???

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 11:39 PM
    Hello crackberry. I will be travelling to England in august for a few weeks and would like to use a pay as you go sim with a good balance of voice and data.

Posted via CB10
    Best one is (in my opinion) Vodafone - they've got great plans. Resist the temptation to purchase a SIM from the vending machines on arrival at Heathrow. If you're landing at T5 Heathrow there is a Vodafone shop right there in the terminal which would be a great place to get set up. Otherwise - head to a high street shop like Carphone Warehouse or similar and set yourself up.

There may be some good alternatives to Vodafone when you land but the top-up experience and web support is super.

PS: This all assumes you have an unlocked phone to start with, of course.

Finally - if you're using a BlackBerry10 device you're all set (assuming it's unlocked) because all your device requires is data - not BIS. If you're using a BBOS phone then the only thing your SIM will get you is voice & text but not BIS data. BB10 devices are a lot more "simple" in that regard.

Hope that made sense.
    bobauckland likes this.
    06-26-13 12:08 AM
    I still think o2 has the best prepaid ever. It is the cheapest and it is less fussy than Vodafone. Just don't don't ever get a Virgin one.
    Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:14 AM
    The problem with Vodafone and o2 is that they only give 500mb or 1gb data on pay as you go.

If you can get hold of giffgaff, then that will be better if you plan on using more data. You get a lot more for your money on giffgaff.
    Acidwire likes this.
    06-26-13 04:14 AM
    Have a look at giffgaff.co.uk
    12 gets you unlimited data & text + 250 min talk time with no ties for a month. I can get one for you and post it depending on when and where you will be arriving.

Posted via CB10
    Acidwire likes this.
    06-26-13 06:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    I just returned from there last week. I only wanted data so what I did was go to to the Amazon.uk site and ordered a Three.co.uk SIM, data only 3G broadband of 3GB data which is good for 30 days and had it delivered to the hotel so it was there when I arrived.

It cost 11.89 but with VAT and delivery it ends up at 15.84. Speed is reasonable, usually about 2-3 Mbps down. Maybe you could use something like that with VoIP for calls. 3GB data should be enough unless you are streaming movies or music.
    06-26-13 06:56 AM
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have a unlocked z10 so bis isn't an issue.

I took a look at giffgaff and seems very reasonable to me. For 20 quid I'd get more than enough. The 15 quid goody bag would be sufficient but for 5 quid more I truly wouldn't need to worry. Is giffgaff lte or 3G? I couldn't seem to find that info. Also is it UK wide or just England?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:04 PM
    Have a look at giffgaff.co.uk
    12 gets you unlimited data & text + 250 min talk time with no ties for a month. I can get one for you and post it depending on when and where you will be arriving.

Posted via CB10
    That's very kind of you, thanks for your offer. As I am visiting family I will request the sim prior to leaving for UK and have it sent to their house in Salisbury.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:06 PM
    Ok so I did find on the giffgaff site that it's 3g but no big deal really. Mostly want data to find what's around etc more than hardcore browsing...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:51 PM
    Just thought I'd post an update.....so decided to go with giffgaff for my wife and me...working well no complaints... until....i was watching my kids feed the ducks and swans in the river Avon, in the maltings in Salisbury, when I had a brilliant idea to take out my z10 to take a photo of them etc....well...phone caught on edge of pocket I fumbled.. and fumbled and hit the phone into the river....i dropped my latte(spilled all over some chap..he wasn't too impressed) hurtled over the railings and plumetted beside my phone. picked it up removed the battery and directed my brother to run to tesco's to get some rice and some zip lock bags. Climbed the railing, apologised to the gentlemen, offered him a fiver for dry cleaning, he refused and seem to understand my state.

Long story short. Removed everything from the device bar the screen protector, kept it in rice for 48hrs and all seems to be fine....ran the tests in BlackBerry virtual expert and everything passed.

Hope it stays this way.... was prepared to buy another z10... but don't tell the wife lol...

To the Chap I spilled the latte all over..if you are reading this, I again apologise and am terribly sorry if it burned. If possible I'd like to buy you a few beers....

To my brother... thanks for getting the rice and baggies so quickly!!!

To all others... rice rice rice rice!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 03:34 AM
    On Orange PAYG. Dolphin package, for 10 you get 400 free text 1GB of data and still keep the 10 credit. For 15 you get more texts and 2GB of data plus you keep the 15 credit. And for 20, yep you get more. Best to shop around, you can do it on line before you come to the UK, by going to the different Network Service Providers Website page

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 04:55 AM
    I'd use giff gaff if I were you.

http://giffgaff.com/

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:05 AM
    On Orange PAYG. Dolphin package, for 10 you get 400 free text 1GB of data and still keep the 10 credit. For 15 you get more texts and 2GB of data plus you keep the 15 credit. And for 20, yep you get more. Best to shop around, you can do it on line before you come to the UK, by going to the different Network Service Providers Website page

Posted via CB10
    Went with giffgaff, 12 pound got me 250 UK mins, unlimited text, unlimited data, free giffgaff to giffgaff. Which works beautifully for me and my wife.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:06 AM
    I'd use giff gaff if I were you.

http://giffgaff.com/

Posted via CB10
    I have, been here since Thursday ...but phone sat in a bag of rice for 48 hrs as I dropped it in the river Avon.... works now!!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:07 AM