I want to order my BlackBerry Passport from the US Amazon site ( no stock in Canada sites) and have it shipped to a US address for pickup. I'll pick it up on a cross border trip and declare upon return.

Amazon checked adds done $50 in US sales tax. Any recommendations on avoiding this (legally)? I don't want to get hit with another tax charge from the Canadian side when bringing in.

Flicked out via Zed30
    11-01-14 01:46 PM
    The only way I'm aware of that you can avoid sales tax on Amazon is if they're shipping it to a state without a sales tax, or one where they don't have a "taxable presence."
    11-01-14 02:25 PM
    This will be to WA....they used to have exemption for Canadian cross border sales so as to encourage this activity....last time I bought in person there I was informed no longer an option.

Flicked out via Zed30
    11-01-14 03:14 PM
    I think there are some companies in key places in the USA to avoid local and state taxes. Reship.com?

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    11-01-14 03:15 PM
    I think there are some companies in key places in the USA to avoid local and state taxes. Reship.com?
    Wow. Interesting service. OP definitely check out reship.com

IDK how far south in WA you're going to be, but Oregon to the south is a sales tax-free state.
    11-01-14 04:34 PM
    Reship could be useful, but would then be paying for shipping, so savings on tax get eaten up. I use a WA mailbox service (TSB.com) just across the border to recieve my us items. Only 30 min drive to collect them.

Looks like may have to eat the us tax and hope Canada customs takes mercy on me.

Anyways, stock on amazon us is once again sold out...so I have more time to ruminate.

Flicked out via Zed30
    11-01-14 08:29 PM
    Reship could be useful, but would then be paying for shipping, so savings on tax get eaten up. I use a WA mailbox service (TSB.com) just across the border to recieve my us items. Only 30 min drive to collect them.

Looks like may have to eat the us tax and hope Canada customs takes mercy on me.

Anyways, stock on amazon us is once again sold out...so I have more time to ruminate.

Flicked out via Zed30
    You apply to Washington to get your taxes paid refunded. Up to if worth the time.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:16 PM
    You apply to Washington to get your taxes paid refunded. Up to if worth the time.
    Is that like when Canada refunds the GST to visitors? I don't think the US/WA do that.
    11-02-14 09:48 AM
    Is that like when Canada refunds the GST to visitors? I don't think the US/WA do that.
    Or, you know, Google it.

http://dor.wa.gov/content/fileandpay...forataxrefund/

Unless you call Amazon.com and convince them to not charge in first place because you are Canadian and exporting it, seems like a lot of hassle. Canadian credit card billing address might be an argument to use.

On Canada/washington border, many places you can show Canadian ID and skip taxes.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 05:11 PM
    I'm on my way to Passport nirvana!

Got mine ordered Amazon.com. Having it shipped cross border into Canada...rather than do the free shipping to my mail box service in WA. Amazon charge me WA sales tax if sending there...then I've got to make 30 min border run, pay taxes & duty reentering my homeland. Versus just paying the Amazon added duty/CDN taxes up front, and a shipping fee, delivered to my front door. Works out less than $30 difference but a lot less delay and headache.

And, since taxman must be paid either way, at least the money goes to Canada....my home and native land:-)

Flicked out via Zed30
    11-04-14 05:27 PM
    I think I paid Canadian sales tax on a Def Leopard Hysteria cassette on a trip to Winnipeg when I was 12 years old. I didn't complain and you are welcome for me supporting your economy!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    11-05-14 07:10 AM
    I think I paid Canadian sales tax on a Def Leopard Hysteria cassette on a trip to Winnipeg when I was 12 years old. I didn't complain and you are welcome for me supporting your economy!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Thx.
    I lived 14 years in SoCal paying vast amounts on income and sales taxes as a green card holder. Don't feel I need to contribute anymore :-)

Flicked out via Zed30
    11-05-14 08:42 AM