03-26-14 10:06 PM
92 1234
tools
    "Blackberry which recently celebrated the notable achievement of a zero percent marketshare in the smartphone space has turned into a patent troll now"

Wow talk about trash talkers. That first sentence alone tells to me this guy is an uneducated person.
    Pretty much guy has no idea what he's going on about he's using it as justification to call them a patent troll.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    diegonei likes this.
    03-25-14 11:46 AM
    I emailed him back and we had a civilized discussion and we both apologized for the negative responses. I'm Canadian what can I say? I have to apologize. He still maintains his positions but at least we had a civil discussion.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 11:54 AM
    I emailed him back and we had a civilized discussion and we both apologized for the negative responses. I'm Canadian what can I say? I have to apologize. He still maintains his positions but at least we had a civil discussion.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't really matter since he's probably not going to change what he wrote

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    diegonei likes this.
    03-25-14 12:24 PM
    While I don't see this as cutting into any of BB's sales there is no doubt that keyboard is a complete rip off of Blackberry.
    03-25-14 12:26 PM
    It stifles best practice and standardisation - its protectionism of the worse kind. Sharing and building on existing technology is always best for the consumer. It's a huge distraction for skilled engineers who just want to innovate.
    Why would a company spend on R&D and take on the risk, and then just "share" their results for free for others to profit from without any assured reward? People believe in this utopic notion that companies do anything just because they like it. No... they do it for revenue.

A patent document is a compromise between trade secret and public domain. You tell everyone how to use and make what you invented, in exchange only you can make money off of it for a limited period of time. If someone sees that patent, and improves on it in a non-obvious way... they are rewarded with their own exclusive rights period.

Maybe an engineer doesn't get it... but then again, they probably aren't the ones footing the bills.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 12:30 PM
    Doesn't BlackBerry hold the patent on mini USB of some sort? BlackBerry is one of the least court searchers in the smartphone market. Isn't it the two "topdogs" that fight in court more than in the smartphone arena?
    03-25-14 12:43 PM
    Trolling Cult of Mac article accusing BlackBerry of being a patent troll fires up BlackBerry users.

That's so meta.
    03-25-14 12:54 PM
    Is it just me alone thinking that Seacrest and company paid for this to be written?

AmaZ30ed
    03-25-14 01:02 PM
    WOW, look at the related articles below that one!

AmaZ30ed
    03-25-14 01:05 PM
    I am privileged to be part of the 0%.

Wait, does this mean I don't actually exist?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:05 PM
    @Greencopperz page 1

Thanks, my fault/mistake and hahaha great comment!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    A living rounding error, that's you... ;-)
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-25-14 01:26 PM
    The author is just another ****** bag. So sorry for his children, one can not choose their parents.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:43 PM
    So I tweeted the dumbass author about the "zero marketshare" and he tweeted back pointing to BGRs recent article about "zero US market share". I advised him to update the article accordingly with a "US".
    03-25-14 02:04 PM
    Why would a company spend on R&D and take on the risk, and then just "share" their results for free for others to profit from without any assured reward? People believe in this utopic notion that companies do anything just because they like it. No... they do it for revenue.

A patent document is a compromise between trade secret and public domain. You tell everyone how to use and make what you invented, in exchange only you can make money off of it for a limited period of time. If someone sees that patent, and improves on it in a non-obvious way... they are rewarded with their own exclusive rights period.

Maybe an engineer doesn't get it... but then again, they probably aren't the ones footing the bills.

Posted via CB10
    The huge commercial advantage is obtained by being first to market with innovation. Protectionism beyond this stifles technological advancement. Commercial interests at the expense of consumer interest.
    03-25-14 02:28 PM
    It's a keyboard add-on for iPhone... with exact design pattern as Q10 keyboard... that competes and cuts into their sales...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I don't blame them for taking typo to court, but perhaps perversely it would have actually of helped sales to let it alone. A-listers using physical keyboards, which are even mistaken for BlackBerry's?
    In practice all that'll happen is they'll do a minor design rework and relaunch what is after all a clever, innovative product.
    03-25-14 02:38 PM
    I don't blame them for taking typo to court, but perhaps perversely it would have actually of helped sales to let it alone. A-listers using physical keyboards, which are even mistaken for BlackBerry's?
    In practice all that'll happen is they'll do a minor design rework and relaunch what is after all a clever, innovative product.
    How can it help sells if people say it's a ****ty BlackBerry keyboard ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 02:40 PM
    I don't think the author knows English as he clearly has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-25-14 02:42 PM

Thank You! My exact thoughts!!!
    03-25-14 02:44 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You said it was an exact copy of the Q10 keyboard. Are you saying that's ****ty?
    03-25-14 02:46 PM
    I disagree that "people" are saying that.
    I can agree "some people" are saying that.
    Only because they are hating just to be haters.
    Obviously if the keyboard is almost an exact clone of a true BlackBerry keyboard, it has to have some merits.
    Because BlackBerry makes the best keyboards ever introduced on mobile devices.
    If they didn't steal from BlackBerry there would be no demand at all.
    Others have tried their own original keyboards and failed miserably because they can't stack up to a BlackBerry keyboard.
    03-25-14 02:51 PM
    I don't think the author knows what a patent troll is. He probably uses other words in his article that he doesn't know the meaning of like "the" and "a" and "I".

I betcha

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 02:53 PM
    He probably uses other words in his article that he doesn't know the meaning of like "the" and "a" and "I".
    This made me laugh so hard.

I betcha
    This gave me an abs workout worth a week.
    VR6 likes this.
    03-25-14 03:23 PM
    The huge commercial advantage is obtained by being first to market with innovation. Protectionism beyond this stifles technological advancement. Commercial interests at the expense of consumer interest.
    It's not protectionism (which is being used in the wrong sense here), but you are missing the point of a Patent. The exclusive rights to make and sell are only half of the equation, the other half is public disclosure of enough of what you invented to enable one to make it. You can't get a patent unless you tell the world how they can do it too.

If patents didn't exist, companies would never disclose their advancements and simply keep them as trade secrets and black boxes... meaning that others in the field would have to resort to reverse engineering to learn what they have done or, worse, replicate their efforts entirely because they can't see what their peers have done.

Your speed to market strategy assumes that one can obtain enough investment to build and commercialize a product before even selling it. This may be feasible for large companies with ongoing sales, but it is impossible for a small company or an independent inventor, who will need to attract capital. Without a patent, no one will want to take the risk on their investment... knowing the established competitors will simply copy and undercut them.

If you really believe this free open source crap works for anything other than low-upfront-cost software development... then you're living in another world.
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-25-14 03:50 PM
    Gotta love it when apple fan boys call the author of an article on an apple fan site an ***** while defending blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 03:57 PM
92 1234