That's just silly. Everyone does this and people go between companies in this space. It's gone the other way too ... cough, Don Lindsay
    03-26-14 12:24 PM
    I think there's an angle that nobody is really focusing on.

Until June (or whenever), BlackBerry has the future boss of Apple's Core OS working on its software. That's top notch talent. Maybe BB will get some great things out of him while he's here? What would you have him work on before leaving?

And, they only threatened to sue him, right? That's the polite thing to do.
    03-26-14 12:31 PM
    That's just silly. Everyone does this and people go between companies in this space. It's gone the other way too ... cough, Don Lindsay
    True, but in this case the guy did agree to provide a six-month notice, which he did not do. It's unfortunate that it resulted in a lawsuit, but if BBRY allows people to believe it won't enforce these types of clauses then it could create problems down the road. If nothing else, anyone else who may be thinking of leaving (or even coming on board) will pay better attention to the terms of their particular employment agreement as a result of this action.
    Elite1 likes this.
    03-26-14 12:32 PM
    I think there's an angle that nobody is really focusing on.

Until June (or whenever), BlackBerry has the future boss of Apple's Core OS working on its software. That's top notch talent. Maybe BB will get some great things out of him while he's here? What would you have him work on before leaving?
    I don't know that they would want him to work for them during this period. They can certainly opt to pay him consistent with his agreement and have him sit at home, which might make the most sense since he's got more than a foot out of the door already.
    03-26-14 12:34 PM
    It's a keyboard add-on for iPhone... with exact design pattern as Q10 keyboard... that competes and cuts into their sales...
    Not only that - Seacrest baldly and openly crowed about how his vision in helping to found that company was inspired by his experience typing on a BlackBerry, and how he wanted to replicate that experience on an iPhone .

SHOULD be an open/shut case.

And this article is from an longtime Apple fanboy site. Yawn.
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 08:50 PM.
    Dave Bourque and Nharzhool like this.
    03-26-14 01:01 PM
    Not only that - Seacrest baldly and openly crowed about how his vision in helping to found that company was inspired by his experience typing on a BlackBerry, and how he wanted to replicate that experience on an iPhone .

SHOULD be an open/shut case.

And this article is from an longtime Apple fanboy site. Yawn.
    Well the judge is siding with BlackBerry so far. So it's looking good.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 08:51 PM.
    03-26-14 01:07 PM
    I'm not above name-calling and I don't pretend to be. If an 1D10T is being an 1D10T (the actual word is being censored), he will quickly be told of his idiocy (I was going to say "learn" but that doesn't actually happen).

The man is going out of his way to put an inaccurate and possibly legally-damning spin on this news. It is looking close to defamation. BlackBerry has been completely above-board on this matter.

Typo deserve to have their product stopped...it blatantly infringes the patents - even the judge said so. The Exec deserved to be taken to court...he blatantly tried to break his contract - even the court said so.

People who are defending this guy must remember that this isn't his opinion on the matter. He is just making things up here...That isn't an opinion - that is fabrication.

An opinion would be if he reported the FACTS, and then commented saying that he feels that BlackBerry don't any traction here or that he feels that the judge is wrong.

This tends to happen a lot on this site as well, people tend to make things up and then pass them off as their opinion or even as fact.

There is a big difference between these things and people tend to not notice the lines between them.
    Dave Bourque and NinjaB like this.
    03-26-14 01:27 PM
    For the record, I've defended Apple, though I've also defended Google, Samsung, Android, BlackBerry, Microsoft, HTC, Thorsten Heins, the BBRY board, John Chen, Mike Lazaridis, Jim Balsillie, etc. I think I've defended pretty much everyone at some point, except for Steve Ballmer.
    Even Leo Apotheker?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 02:46 PM
    True, but in this case the guy did agree to provide a six-month notice, which he did not do. It's unfortunate that it resulted in a lawsuit, but if BBRY allows people to believe it won't enforce these types of clauses then it could create problems down the road. If nothing else, anyone else who may be thinking of leaving (or even coming on board) will pay better attention to the terms of their particular employment agreement as a result of this action.
    I agree 100%. Was just snickering that the fact that the Cult of Mac poster was snickering at the fact that a) they were defending their right to adhere to a contract; and b) that someone went over to Apple.

Employment contracts are standard business; as are people moving between companies. Nature of the business and not really anything unusual or worth snickering about
    03-26-14 04:03 PM
    Even Leo Apotheker?

Posted via CB10
    Even Leo Apotheker. The guy was crazy, and everyone but HP's board knew it when he was hired. To that end, he delivered exactly what was expected. It's essentially the same argument I've made for Thorsten Heins, (not that Heins was crazy, but rather that he did what it was expected he'd do).
    eldricho and Elite1 like this.
    03-26-14 04:14 PM
    I hope you guys realize this guy may be smarter than you think, he is most likely generating page-click revenue.
    This is almost worse than BGR's title-bait.
    schmeat likes this.
    03-26-14 04:21 PM
    I hope you guys realize this guy may be smarter than you think, he is most likely generating page-click revenue.
    Not far-fetched, especially since there's this article from January 3 of this year:

Ryan Seacrest's Startup Sued By Blackberry For Putting A BlackBerry Keyboard On iPhone | Cult of Mac

in which the following is written:

Anyone with a pair of working eyeballs would be inclined to agree. It’s like Seacrest enjoyed the keyboard on his Blackberry so much that he decided to just put it on the iPhone. Screw IP!
    That said, the easiest way to make someone go away is to ignore them and make them unimportant. The less attention, the better. I've never understood people who complain about a person getting a bunch of attention from others, and in the process give that person the very attention they want others to deny.
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-26-14 08:21 PM
    Well if he gets taken to court one day he'll be real smart rofl.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 08:24 PM
    Wish I could find it, but in early talks Seacrest himself said he was at dinner with friends and conversation came up how they were sick of carrying two phones: iPhone and BlackBerry. He admitted in interviews that's where the "Typo Idea" came from. Now that's not enough from a legal perspective within patent law context to prove a patent was infringed upon. However, it clearly demonstrates the scumbag intentions of Typo's Team. Couple that with design and patents and it's pretty much and open/shut case.

The only way the judge will allow Typo is with either major design changes or on the idea it's an "accessory" versus BlackBerry's keyboard is connected to the device patent.

Shouldn't matter, but I unfortunately believe regardless of ruling iPhone will get a keyboard that attaches eventually. What if it looked nothing like BlackBerry's? How would people feel then?

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    03-26-14 08:57 PM
    What a horrible article. How do these guys get away with writing such garbage and nonsense. Obviously he doesn't know what a patent troll is.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    03-26-14 09:15 PM
    To be a patent troll you have to NOT actually make or sell any real product or processes.
    03-26-14 09:28 PM
    I wouldn't exactly call this journalism. The author only wrote one sentence in his article. The rest was pretty much cut and paste from the internet.
    03-26-14 10:06 PM
92 ... 234