It's
    If you really believe this free open source crap works for anything other than low-upfront-cost software development... then you're living in another world.
    Open source works great if you know how to use it. We use a lot of it where I work (general dynamics) .

It's low cost front and in the long term most open source projects tend to have top notch object oriented designs so maintenance costs are lesser than if we home brewed the software. Not to mention that a lot of open source software is so darn well tested Thai have almost never run into a bug in open source code.

Posted via CB10
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-25-14 04:01 PM
    It's not protectionism (which is being used in the wrong sense here), but you are missing the point of a Patent. The exclusive rights to make and sell are only half of the equation, the other half is public disclosure of enough of what you invented to enable one to make it. You can't get a patent unless you tell the world how they can do it too.

If patents didn't exist, companies would never disclose their advancements and simply keep them as trade secrets and black boxes... meaning that others in the field would have to resort to reverse engineering to learn what they have done or, worse, replicate their efforts entirely because they can't see what their peers have done.

Your speed to market strategy assumes that one can obtain enough investment to build and commercialize a product before even selling it. This may be feasible for large companies with ongoing sales, but it is impossible for a small company or an independent inventor, who will need to attract capital. Without a patent, no one will want to take the risk on their investment... knowing the established competitors will simply copy and undercut them.

If you really believe this free open source crap works for anything other than low-upfront-cost software development... then you're living in another world.
    In my experience (obviously different to yours) patents are filed as a barrier to competitors, and also to record an asset for future sale (hence the ever popular patent numbers counting game).
    As for open source products, these are increasingly being used, even by major corporations. I'm rather old-school so find this a little concerning, it's a fact nonetheless. Btw I'm living in the software consultant world and have worked in many (mostly large) multinationals.
    03-25-14 04:13 PM
    03-25-14 04:54 PM
    This article is atrocious.

Patent Troll Blackberry Says Ryan Seacrest's Typo Keyboard Is "Deliberate Copy" | Cult of Mac

Even Apple and Samsung fans can agree to that. I emailed the writer (if you can call him one) letting him know about the absurdity of the article. Let the author have it Crackberry!
    He/She does not know what makes a company a troll
    03-25-14 05:05 PM
    You said it was an exact copy of the Q10 keyboard. Are you saying that's ****ty?
    First of all it being a replica doesn't mean it's got the same build quality. And as Kevin noted the 3 products he was given actually broke already.

My point? That's another negative for people to not buy bb.
    Also since typo are making this product, they are fulfilling a deficiency that BlackBerry is adequate at filling thereby giving people more reasons to not buy BlackBerrys.

The problem however isn't about them making keyboards, it's that the keyboards are an exact replica. They aren't willing to put in any effort.

Imagine BlackBerry churning out an exact iPhone replica and selling it if you will.

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    03-25-14 05:14 PM
    You said it was an exact copy of the Q10 keyboard. Are you saying that's ****ty?
    Exact copy in design. The engineering is probably terrible.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 05:25 PM
    Exact copy in design. The engineering is probably terrible.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Idk if it's terrible but it can't be the same that's for sure.

03-25-14 06:07 PM
    Idk if it's terrible but it can't be the same that's for sure.

Kevin destroyed each one he used in a matter of days... they sound extremely cheap.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 06:10 PM
    You are obligated to protect your patents or risk losing them.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 07:12 PM
    Kevin destroyed each one he used in a matter of days... they sound extremely cheap.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I just didn't wanna put it so blatantly lol

Nharzhool likes this.
    03-25-14 07:19 PM
    Daaang someone's very hurt
    Takes the trash talking to a whole new level

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:49 AM.
    03-25-14 07:40 PM
    03-26-14 08:23 AM
    *Punk*
    I can't stand these little unnecessary jabs... Like a dumped spouse...
    "the beleaguered Canadian smartphone maker who controls literally 0 percent U.S. market share"
    Or
    "Heck, by June, Blackberry’s doors may be completely shuttered, making the whole thing moot."
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:36 AM.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    03-26-14 08:35 AM
    *Punk*
    "0% us market share ".... okay then.. life outside of the us doesn't exist.

Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:36 AM.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-26-14 09:07 AM
    *Punk*
    But aren't you also taking unnecessary jabs? Is this even worthy of discussion? Honestly, I don't why a random article on an Apple news site causes such concern. It's one thing to complain about people posting these kinds of things here, but complaining about a pro-Apple site posting this kind of article seems a little over the top.
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:37 AM.
    03-26-14 09:19 AM
    "0% us market share ".... okay then.. life outside of the us doesn't exist.
    Ha! Exactly! He only mentions the US and not the rest of the world. And, wrong about the US at that!
    Also, why does he consider me/us to be non-existent? I own numerous BlackBerry devices.
    Both legacy and BB10. I guess we're all chopped liver.
    *Punk*
    03-26-14 09:21 AM
    But aren't you also taking unnecessary jabs?
    Nope. Just expressing my belief. You can call him a prophetic saint if you wish. Your choice.
    Is this even worthy of discussion? Honestly, I don't why a random article on an Apple news site causes such concern. It's one thing to complain about people posting these kinds of things here, but complaining about a pro-Apple site posting this kind of article seems a little over the top.
    I don't condone proliferation of these gutter acts from ANY platform site, anywhere!
    It's your prerogative to pick and choose which one can and can't do it. I'm not writing a blog, I'm commenting in a forum.
    Again, your choice.
    03-26-14 09:26 AM
    But aren't you also taking unnecessary jabs? Is this even worthy of discussion? Honestly, I don't why a random article on an Apple news site causes such concern. It's one thing to complain about people posting these kinds of things here, but complaining about a pro-Apple site posting this kind of article seems a little over the top.
    ...so kind of like the apple fans that come to crackberry and argue with every post that has something negative about iPhone.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    03-26-14 10:08 AM
    Lol, he's mad BlackBerry is suing parties that don't act right?

He must have been bullied in childhood and just took it. May be an explanation why he thinks when the going gets tough, you just sit there and take it.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 10:13 AM
    Well, you only need to see the webpage that is publish, "cultofmac".

From dicctionary: A Cult Following is a small (or could be big) but enthusiastic fan base, and a fan is: an ardent admirer of a pop star, film actor, football team, etc, than in the mayority of case only believe in the thing that they cult leader (head of the sect) told to them!

For that for them only exists Apple, becuase they "Think different":
    "Patent Troll Blackberry"?!?-thinkdiffernt.jpg

NinjaB likes this.
    03-26-14 10:44 AM
    Nope. Just expressing my belief. You can call him a prophetic saint if you wish. Your choice.
    Yes, and it's your choice to by hypocritical. The author of that article "expressed his belief" on an Apple-focused site. You, in turn, "express your belief" and liken him to a "dumped spouse." It's fine that you express your belief, but it's also fine that the one you're critical of express his. You used the medium available to you, kind of like he used what was available to him.

Regarding the name calling, I'd like to think that kind of behavior is beneath you, as is focusing on random internet comments. It's certainly beneath the forum.

I don't condone proliferation of these gutter acts from ANY platform site, anywhere!
    It's your prerogative to pick and choose which one can and can't do it. I'm not writing a blog, I'm commenting in a forum.
    Again, your choice.
    This isn't a question of condoning anything. Though at times a failure to object can be construed as an implicit agreement, this isn't one of those times.

I'm also not picking and choosing anything, nor am I saying behavior is acceptable based on where and when it occurs. All I'm questioning is whether debating what someone said on an Apple blog on this forum is worth the energy that seems to be going into it. No one's opinion is going to change, and the blog will remain unchanged, so I'm just not sure what's actually gained.

...so kind of like the apple fans that come to crackberry and argue with every post that has something negative about iPhone.
    I see what you're trying to argue, but no, it's not like that at all. Now if the commenter in this case had gone to some Apple forum to plead his case, then you could say it was like what you wrote, but that's not what happened.
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:44 AM.
    03-26-14 11:13 AM
    Yes.... -SNIP-
    Thanks for sharing!
    03-26-14 11:18 AM
    For the record, I've defended Apple, though I've also defended Google, Samsung, Android, BlackBerry, Microsoft, HTC, Thorsten Heins, the BBRY board, John Chen, Mike Lazaridis, Jim Balsillie, etc. I think I've defended pretty much everyone at some point, except for Steve Ballmer.
    Last edited by elite1; 03-26-14 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Quote of deleted post removed
    03-26-14 11:23 AM
    Okay, people! Enough bickering already.
    Some posts deleted, some naughty words removed.

[WARN]Keep it on track and respectful
    or Infractions will ensue. [/WARN]
    Now back to your scheduled programming...
    03-26-14 11:47 AM
    It's from cult of mac what did you expect. Maybe they'll go back to the mothership soon.

Posted via CB10
    blusls likes this.
    03-26-14 12:22 PM
92 1234