This article is atrocious.

Patent Troll Blackberry Says Ryan Seacrest's Typo Keyboard Is "Deliberate Copy" | Cult of Mac

Blackberry � which recently celebrated the notable achievement of a zero percent marketshare in the smartphone space � has turned into a patent troll now. In suing Ryan Seacrest�s Typo iPhone Keyboard case (which gives the iPhone a physical QWERTY style keyboard which can be slide onto the screen when necessary) now claims that it is a �deliberate� copy of Blackberry that violates three patents.
    Bloomberg reports that Blackberry argued in court Friday that the Typo infringed three patents, with the judge in the case opining that at least two of them seemed valid.
    Blackberry said that the Typo Case for the iPhone was an �intentional and deliberate� copy of the BlackBerry keyboard: �The similarities between Typo�s iPhone case and the keyboard for BlackBerry�s Q10 smartphone are unmistakable,� said Blackberry lawyer Kevin Johnson.
    It sounds like Judge Orrick is on Blackberry�s side in this dispute. �If the consumer can look at this and say this product is ripping off BlackBerry and knows it�s not a BlackBerry product, how does that make a difference in my analysis?� he said.
    According to the Judge, he will be issuing a ruling the stop sales of the Typo case in the United States. So get one while you can.
    Even Apple and Samsung fans can agree to that. I emailed the writer (if you can call him one) letting him know about the absurdity of the article. Let the author have it Crackberry!
    Affie36, GeekzForever and chgaida like this.
    03-25-14 09:27 AM
    Patent troll? How many cases like these have bbry had?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 09:31 AM
    Yeah I don't get it either....
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-25-14 09:33 AM
    Ha.Ha.Ha. Nop, haterz gone hate.

The concept of typo it BlackBerry keyboard, how can they be a patent troll if they defend there product. A troll is a company with no hardware only patents to make money of it.... in my opinion the article is wrong!

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-25-14 09:36 AM
    Now a company becomes a patent troll when defending their intellectual property rights? Is for the court to judge.

Talking about trolling, the author has no clue... he is a troll.

BTW, not nice by stating the achievement of 0 market share (

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska and citystars41 like this.
    03-25-14 09:41 AM
    Wow there are so many jabs at BlackBerry where do you start. I love how they quote articles that have since been proven wrong. And also leave out part of it. Journalism at its best

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska and Nharzhool like this.
    03-25-14 09:44 AM
    Ha.Ha.Ha. Nop, haterz gone hate.

The concept of typo it BlackBerry keyboard, how can they be a patent troll if they defend there product. A troll is a company with no hardware only patents to make money of it.... in my opinion the article is wrong!

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't resist this being on the subject of typos - you made a typo LOL "there" is a location. It should read "their" product, being possessive or ownership. They're is used for they are, the verb to be.

Posted via CB10
    Affie36 and Ragbert like this.
    03-25-14 09:44 AM
    Patent troll? How many cases like these have bbry had?

Posted via CB10
    Well, let's be accurate. The term "patent troll" has nothing to do with the number of actions brought, and instead refers to those who file suit alleging patent protections (and requesting licensing fees) for products they aren't competing with. Now, I don't think BBRY is suing for licensing as much as it is to have the product stopped, so the definition doesn't entirely fit. But it's also true that BBRY doesn't compete in the BT add-on iPhone keyboard market.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-25-14 09:57 AM
    Keep in mind, which site did you get this from?

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    03-25-14 09:58 AM
    Sue the writer for libel?

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska and Clanked like this.
    03-25-14 09:59 AM
    Very true.
    03-25-14 10:00 AM
    Lol.... just lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:02 AM
    Well, let's be accurate. The term "patent troll" has nothing to do with the number of actions brought, and instead refers to those who file suit alleging patent protections (and requesting licensing fees) for products they aren't competing with. Now, I don't think BBRY is suing for licensing as much as it is to have the product stopped, so the definition doesn't entirely fit. But it's also true that BBRY doesn't compete in the BT add-on iPhone keyboard market.
    It's a keyboard add-on for iPhone... with exact design pattern as Q10 keyboard... that competes and cuts into their sales...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 03-25-14 at 10:19 AM.
    JBhar, GRojasHruska and Clanked like this.
    03-25-14 10:03 AM
    It's a keyboard add-on for iPhone... with exact design pattern as Q10 keyboard... that competes and cuts into they sales...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not only that but it carries a great risk of being confused for a BlackBerry product or at least designed by/authorized by BlackBerry. If it malfunctions or the quality is sub-standard, people could associate such a negative experience with BlackBerry.
    03-25-14 10:16 AM
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    03-25-14 10:19 AM
    He responded to my email by insulting me. Very mature of him.

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-25-14 10:29 AM
    He responded to my email by insulting me. Very mature of him.

Posted via CB10
    Screenshot it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 10:32 AM
    I saw this article as well. I read "which recently celebrated the notable achievement of a zero percent marketshare in the smartphone space" and didn't go any further...
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-25-14 10:34 AM
    The biggest patent troll is Apple.
    03-25-14 10:34 AM
    The biggest patent troll is Apple.
    They all spend a fortune playing the patent game.
    Appalling for consumers, great for lawyers.
    03-25-14 10:45 AM
    They all spend a fortune playing the patent game.
    Appalling for consumers, great for lawyers.
    Why is it appalling for consumers? They spend money developing technology, they publicly disclose it by way of a Patent document so that others can learn from it and further improve it; in exchange they get to make some money from their efforts, and the consumers get to buy and enjoy the results.
    03-25-14 10:50 AM
    Why is it appalling for consumers? They spend money developing technology, they publicly disclose it by way of a Patent document so that others can learn from it and further improve it; in exchange they get to make some money from their efforts, and the consumers get to buy and enjoy the results.
    It stifles best practice and standardisation - its protectionism of the worse kind. Sharing and building on existing technology is always best for the consumer. It's a huge distraction for skilled engineers who just want to innovate.
    Dave Bourque and GRojasHruska like this.
    03-25-14 11:10 AM
    Clearly the writer doesn't even know what a patent troll is. The term does not apply to companies defending intellectual property used in their own products.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-25-14 11:42 AM
    "Blackberry — which recently celebrated the notable achievement of a zero percent marketshare in the smartphone space — has turned into a patent troll now"

Wow talk about trash talkers. That first sentence alone tells to me this guy is an uneducated person.
    03-25-14 11:43 AM
    Screenshot it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    2nd that
    03-25-14 11:44 AM
92 123 ...