I don't know what to make of this but off hand it seems an incredible waste of time.

BlackBerry-maker RIM aims to read your moods like a book - thestar.com

Sick and tired of telling your friends how you feel? Don’t worry, your smartphone will soon be able to do it for you.

BlackBerry maker Research In Motion has filed a patent for a smartphone that will be able to sense its user’s emotional state, based on the words being typed, your blood pressure, facial expressions, and even how hard you’re tapping the keys.

“Galvanic skin response sensors, may be used to capture biometric data of a user of the mobile device, including blood pressure, heart rate, muscle control, shaking, facial expressions, Galvanic skin response, etc., that may be useful in determining the emotional state of the user,” reads an excerpt from U.S. Patent Application No. 20120182309, which was made public Thursday.

The goal, says the application, is to eliminate the need for typing out all those smiley faces and frowns — emoticons are so 2011.

Instead, the phone would read your emotions and add appropriate visual cues; say, LIKE THIS IF YOU’RE ANGRY.

“While the availability of emoticons provides a way of expressing a writer’s mood or temperament with regard to entered text, the use of emoticons detracts from the fluidity and spontaneity of the communication . . . Moreover, the desired emotion to be conveyed may not be available from the predefined set of available emoticons,” the application continued.

If you find the idea of a mood-reading phone a little bit disturbing, tech industry watchers would beg to differ.

“Think of how many cues we give when we’re communicating. Machines are pretty bad at interpreting them. This is a step toward addressing that,” said Roel Vertegaal, associate professor of human-computer interaction at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont.

With most smart phones having similar physical features, and growing similarity in their operating systems, things that might seem a little off the wall are a way to stand out from the crowd, said Duncan Stewart, technology research director for Deloitte Canada.

“Smart phones look pretty much the same, broadly speaking, and do a lot of the same things. This is the way they can differentiate themselves,” said Stewart, who estimates RIM could have the mood-reading phone on the market within a year.

“It used to take five years from the patent stage to getting something on the market. Things are a lot quicker now,” Stewart added.

Earlier this year, Microsoft filed a patent application for systems to track web surfers’ emotions, based on video conversations, Facebook status updates and other tools. The goal of Microsoft’s technology is matching online ads to users’ moods.

In an emailed statement, a RIM spokesperson wouldn’t comment on the company’s application.

“RIM has a culture of innovation and continually strives to make BlackBerry devices exciting for our users,” the spokesperson said. “The company continues to make patent applications in a diverse range of areas though we’re not able to comment on the potential application of this technology in our products.”
    07-21-12 10:04 PM
    They're a little late to the whole mood ring thing.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-21-12 10:50 PM
    Generic black slabs will need stuff like this eventually. Doesn't Samsung check to see if you still have your eyes open before going into screen standby mode?
    07-21-12 11:08 PM
    They're a little late to the whole mood ring thing.
    My BlackBerrys are always Black....Does that mean I'm always in a bad mood?
    07-22-12 12:20 AM
    5000 other things rim should be working on other than this.
    07-22-12 01:42 AM
    My BlackBerrys are always Black....Does that mean I'm always in a bad mood?
    Or your fingers could be cold.
    07-22-12 02:14 AM
    Like the article says, it just something else to help distinguish one smartphone from another. Could be pretty cool if implemented correctly imo
    07-22-12 02:46 AM
    5000 other things rim should be working on other than this.
    Im sure those 5000 other things haven't been set aside so Rim can spend all its time on this mood thing.

Im hesitant to comment on this technology until i see it in action, but at the very least you can't say Rim isn't innovating.

Look at it this way, if Apple comes out with a mood reading feature on the new iphone, it'll be considered yet another revolution in the way people interact with their devices. And then people will yet again blame Rim for not keeping up and not being unique like Apple.

It's better to have it and not use it then to not have it even if it's useless.
    07-22-12 08:52 AM
    Im sure those 5000 other things haven't been set aside so Rim can spend all its time on this mood thing.
    You read this the wrong way. Check the Rehab section and you'll understand this is sort of an inside joke

Im hesitant to comment on this technology until i see it in action, but at the very least you can't say Rim isn't innovating.
    Innovating for the sake of innovating is not always a good thing. The technology space is littered with bad innovations.

Look at it this way, if Apple comes out with a mood reading feature on the new iphone, it'll be considered yet another revolution in the way people interact with their devices. And then people will yet again blame Rim for not keeping up and not being unique like Apple.
    While I understand your point I really wish that EVERY discussion did not turn into another Apple vs RIM
    h20work likes this.
    07-22-12 09:15 AM
    I don't know what to make of this but off hand it seems an incredible waste of time.
    Now this isn't a feature I would have enabled on my phone I wouldn't call it a waste of time.

The technology that this would be starting, being able to address your facial responses and how hard you are typing could allow for other uses besides bolding or CAPING text, as they advance the tech they could be using the pressure sensor of your typing to decide if you pressed the wrong key as you didn't hit it with full force but hit it half force while hitting another key, or being able to use your eyes to navigate your screen like they do with PC's for quadriplegics, Right now it seems gimicky, like like Siri and these voice recognition apps but they all could be leading to greater technologies built on the foundation of something gimmicky
    07-22-12 09:24 AM
    This is just a patent. These days it seems like you should patent anything you can. Doesn't mean they are working on it or putting significant resources into it, does it?
    07-22-12 09:31 AM
    I could read this and then go apply a bunch of "down the road" scenarios and in doing so I am also sure I could make this make sense.

What I have chosen to do however is take intent of this patent and the technology it covers as it is stated. This leads me back to the original waste of time opinion
    07-22-12 09:37 AM
    I could read this and then go apply a bunch of "down the road" scenarios and in doing so I am also sure I could make this make sense.

What I have chosen to do however is take intent of this patent and the technology it covers as it is stated. This leads me back to the original waste of time opinion

fair enough, if one wants to infer that the intent of the patent is to never move beyond it's initial implementation then yes the 2 guys at RIM who are working on this I guess could be considered a waste of time
    just as I feel RIM working on CAPTCHA's to make it harder to text while driving is silly, but these are side projects for RIM employee's just as BBM was, I'm glad RIM is patenting these side projects.
    07-22-12 09:43 AM
    If Facebook announced this wouldn't we all be saying it was creepy?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-22-12 09:46 AM
    I guess it could make sexting interesting
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    07-22-12 09:54 AM
    This wannabe Skynet nonsense is what pizzes me off about RIM. You want my emotions? It's simple BB10 delayed=Angry
    PlayBook OS upgrade = Happy
    4G PlayBook = Confusion
    RIM stock price falling= Sick
    BlackBerry user even after all The RIMPIRE failures= Pride
    07-22-12 10:00 AM
    This wannabe Skynet nonsense is what pizzes me off about RIM. You want my emotions? It's simple BB10 delayed=Angry
    PlayBook OS upgrade = Happy
    4G PlayBook = Confusion
    RIM stock price falling= Sick
    BlackBerry user even after all The RIMPIRE failures= Pride
    07-22-12 10:01 AM
    Forum Monitor I didn't mean to post twice PlayBook advised to resubmit post. Sorry
    07-22-12 10:03 AM
    And people mock autocorrect goofs. Allowing your smartphone to assume your mood and adding a corresponding emoticon sounds like a potential minefield. The emotions of the moment are often unrelated to the messages that are sent at the same time.

Still, while at first I didn't see the point in this patent, it could have its uses. I am sure teenagers in particular would love to simply open a message or email and just hug the phone in order to send a stream of hearts to their heartthrob of the moment, or squeeze the phone to send a line or two of angry faces. Not terribly helpful in extending the vocabulary of an already limited group though <-- 100% manual
    07-22-12 10:43 AM
    You could've just edited your second post to say that instead of posting a 3rd time

@amazinglygraceless

Ya i know the Rim vs Apple thing is super played out, but unfortunately it's not just limited to these forums. Due to Apple's position as the tech leader, anything Rim does will inevitably be compared to Apple by all facets of the media, rightly or wrongly. So in that regard, i think it's better to stake your claim on a new piece of technology, whether you use it or not, before Apple or even Google claim it for their own. Again, looking at it purely as a competitive advantage.
    07-22-12 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD