So yesterday I enter the password into my Curve (8530) and I get an incorrect password prompt, no biggie I think, I must have hit a typo but then it happens again and again till I get to the 5th or 6th entry when you type "Blackberry" and it allows you to see what you are entering so then I know positively I am putting in the correct password but it continues to give me the incorrect password till the phone wipes. I had a recent backup (5 Days or so) so all I really lost were some recent txts and a few emails but it was still kind of annoying.

Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else because the phone had been unlocking fine previously until this occurred and it just struck me as strange
    05-16-10 06:52 PM
    Did you recently do an upgrade or load anything else that may have interfered with the password? Does anyone else know your password and has had access to the Berry? Those are the only two things I can think of. Good Luck and glad you are doing backups, I wish more people would.
    05-16-10 07:15 PM
    I updated to a leaked OS (5.0.0.654) the same day I did the back up, so the password worked fine for 5 days or so and no, no one else knows the PW to get on my BB...... That's why I think it is so strange.....

Yes, I agree, thank god for backups, they have saved me a bunch of times.
    05-16-10 08:21 PM
    It happens often. What happens is that you enter your password with the Alt or shift on. Since the original password entry is masked, you can't see what you are typing so it's impossible to know you are typing WERS when you intend to type wers or 1234. If you hadn't already wiped, that would be my recommendation to check. It's frequently the solution.
    05-16-10 09:20 PM
    The most likely trap is auto CAPS on long keypress.
    05-16-10 09:32 PM
    Glad I saw this. I didn't even think the password was case-sensitive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 10:11 PM
    I understand the caps/alt button issues and what I'm trying to explain is that I know that isn't what happened to me. I had been unlocking the phone fine for 4 or 5 days with the password and even when getting the "incorrect password" prompts the two times it doesn't mask what you are entering I visually saw that I was in putting the correct password

05-17-10 12:27 PM
    This happened to me a few times. It kind of makes you think you're crazy. I ended up switching my phone out though. Everything seemed to be fine after that.

05-17-10 12:44 PM
    I understand the caps/alt button issues and what I'm trying to explain is that I know that isn't what happened to me. I had been unlocking the phone fine for 4 or 5 days with the password and even when getting the "incorrect password" prompts the two times it doesn't mask what you are entering I visually saw that I was in putting the correct password

Unfortunately all you have proven is that the password your are entering now is what you intended to enter originally, but is not what you actually entered. Since the original password entry was masked, you have no way of knowing what you actually entered, only that it is something different than you intended.

05-17-10 01:57 PM
    Unfortunately all you have proven is that the password your are entering now is what you intended to enter originally, but is not what you actually entered. Since the original password entry was masked, you have no way of knowing what you actually entered, only that it is something different than you intended.

Jeff, I completely understand what you are saying but what about the 40 or 50 times I unlocked my phone using that password the previous five day, that's about 200-300 times entering the password and surely I didn't have the alt/cap key pressed for all of those.

05-17-10 02:03 PM
    That's a lot of password typing, I agree. Did you sync to your PC during that time? The capslock on your PC keyboard would be different from your BlackBerry. If the password you thought you entered worked as entered on your PC, then some other failure mechanism is at work. What, I can't say.

05-17-10 02:15 PM
    That's a lot of password typing, I agree. Did you sync to your PC during that time? The capslock on your PC keyboard would be different from your BlackBerry. If the password you thought you entered worked as entered on your PC, then some other failure mechanism is at work. What, I can't say.

other then upgrading to the leaked OS I dont believe my BB was hooked up to a PC at all after that, that was more the point of my post. To see if their was some kind of glitch in the OS and see if it had happened to anyone else.

Trust me Jeff, I may not post a ton, but I read the forums a lot and I respect your vast BB knowledge but I am 100 % positive i was entering the correct password! No worries

I guess my lesson for everyone is: This could/possible/might happen to you too, be diligent about your backups!!!
    Last edited by Bri9801; 05-17-10 at 02:56 PM.
    05-17-10 02:52 PM
    I encourage password use, to protect your friends' and family's contact information from someone who'd steal your BlackBerry, but they do require you to keep a backup. I'm glad you had one. You appear to a rare user who actually experienced a glitch in the password system. Thanks for posting your results.
    05-17-10 05:34 PM
    Jeff, I completely understand what you are saying but what about the 40 or 50 times I unlocked my phone using that password the previous five day, that's about 200-300 times entering the password and surely I didn't have the alt/cap key pressed for all of those.

Pressing the right keys (even without having the alt/cap key pressed) will type capital letters if you hard pressed the keys (See comment #5 above by Branta). I was sure, like yourself, that I was pressing the correct keys to believe that I entered the correct password when I kept getting the message the password was wrong. When I see the characters typed in the 6th trial, I have noticed that some of the letters were capitalized because I was pressing the keys so carefully and hard to make sure I pressed the them correctly. I don't know if your problem was related to this. I just wanted to share my experience with hard pressing the keys in entering the password.
    Last edited by E-Phone; 05-26-10 at 11:42 PM.
    05-26-10 11:40 PM
    I think some people aren't keying in on the fact that since he was able to successfully unlock his BB for several days before having a problem, the problem was obviously NOT that he was typing in the incorrect password when trying to unlock it, and NOT that he typed in the wrong password when originally setting it (unless he developed amnesia between the time it was working and the time it wasn't work ). Having said that, I can't think of what could have caused the problem.
    05-28-10 12:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD